Thread: Personal Leagues

Personal Leagues

So I saw personal leagues and got excited then I read the description and just had to ask Why? Why static rosters and immortal players? Why reset every year with the exact same roster?

How is a new person supposed to learn the nuance of ownership and engage in the concept of the game by just clicking a "sim now" button? Even if you had the '27 Yankees, how many seasons would you sim before you got bored or started batting Ruth in the 9 hole and platooning him with Julie Wera at 3B? How does it prepare you for a regular league ownership?

I'll be blunt, I have been away from the game for about 10 years and kinda forgot it existed (sorry), but the same wild hair thought that drew me to the game 13-14 years ago cropped last week and I googled computer simulated baseball. Jump cut. I landed on a game where you could sim whole seasons in about 5 minutes. That occupied my time for an hour or two but it got dull fast. Fortunately I found my way back here via an old transferred from Firefox bookmark folder the next day. I have been scrambling to catch up with all the changes and updates since. Which is not said as a complaint, but I'm now 100% certain all the initial lineup and roster changes I made to my two teams have been the opposite of good management. I digress, and bring it back to my initial excitement of the thought of personal leagues and how they would greatly benefit me (or any new or returning owner) in adjusting to the new norms, and the tinge of disappointment when I realized they won't.

Maybe a computer AI to handle fair and proper trades is not practical, but at least provide a draft, maybe some PSFA, so you can learn what players of different strengths can do and how players develop.

That's my $.02 anyway.
    What is best in life?
    Chimichangas!

Re: Personal Leagues

Understood. This is not the final version of what these personal leagues will be. This is definitely just a version 1, with more features to be added in the future. This is the first version of the "sim now" button as well, which opens up many more potential features site-wide, so we need to make sure we get all the bugs out before expanding out on these too much too quickly.

...Is anyone else having this issue? I started my personal league, then, when I click on "Ratings", it shows them for a brief, extremely brief moment, then goes back to "Summary"...and that is all...

No problem for me, but I'm using the CSFBL Enhancement Suite.

It's not what I thought it would be, & not even what it thinks it is*.

I thought we'd be able to pick one of our existing teams, & try it out in a different universe , Dead-Ball, for example.

*Sooooo... I created a team anyway, to try it out, choosing "Strong Defense" .
    I have 2 players > 80RA, with 2B being 85RA/37GL/63AR. He's got "A" potential.
    Next best are a LF with 81/49/47 , RF : 79/58/78, & 1B : 71/26/63. The rest are mediocre to awful . None but the 2B have defensive potential higher than C.
    The pitching is complete crap .
    Not sure what I can learn from this . Assuming it's so the developers can learn how it's going to work.

It would be nice if we can "Advance To: ".... whatever we want. One day at a time is a bit tedious.

mhardy, above, stated this isn't the final version. It's going to change. That's good - it needs to change to worth bothering with.

I didn't even make it to the season before checking out. Advancing one day takes a couple of minutes during which I got distracted and moved on to other things.
    What is best in life?
    Chimichangas!

Quote Originally Posted by beanballer43 View Post
    No problem for me, but I'm using the CSFBL Enhancement Suite.

It's not what I thought it would be, & not even what it thinks it is*.

I thought we'd be able to pick one of our existing teams, & try it out in a different universe , Dead-Ball, for example.

*Sooooo... I created a team anyway, to try it out, choosing "Strong Defense" .
    I have 2 players > 80RA, with 2B being 85RA/37GL/63AR. He's got "A" potential.
    Next best are a LF with 81/49/47 , RF : 79/58/78, & 1B : 71/26/63. The rest are mediocre to awful . None but the 2B have defensive potential higher than C.
    The pitching is complete crap .
    Not sure what I can learn from this . Assuming it's so the developers can learn how it's going to work.

It would be nice if we can "Advance To: ".... whatever we want. One day at a time is a bit tedious.

mhardy, above, stated this isn't the final version. It's going to change. That's good - it needs to change to worth bothering with.
    100%. This is the first implementation of "on demand" simulations. There are some bugs that we need to clean up in that process that are not repeatable in a limited test environment.

Plus just some simple features such as having different teams in the future, many more options as far as setting up your personal league, etc. It is coming. This is version 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    So I saw personal leagues and got excited then I read the description and just had to ask Why? Why static rosters and immortal players? Why reset every year with the exact same roster?

How is a new person supposed to learn the nuance of ownership and engage in the concept of the game by just clicking a "sim now" button? Even if you had the '27 Yankees, how many seasons would you sim before you got bored or started batting Ruth in the 9 hole and platooning him with Julie Wera at 3B? How does it prepare you for a regular league ownership?

I'll be blunt, I have been away from the game for about 10 years and kinda forgot it existed (sorry), but the same wild hair thought that drew me to the game 13-14 years ago cropped last week and I googled computer simulated baseball. Jump cut. I landed on a game where you could sim whole seasons in about 5 minutes. That occupied my time for an hour or two but it got dull fast. Fortunately I found my way back here via an old transferred from Firefox bookmark folder the next day. I have been scrambling to catch up with all the changes and updates since. Which is not said as a complaint, but I'm now 100% certain all the initial lineup and roster changes I made to my two teams have been the opposite of good management. I digress, and bring it back to my initial excitement of the thought of personal leagues and how they would greatly benefit me (or any new or returning owner) in adjusting to the new norms, and the tinge of disappointment when I realized they won't.

Maybe a computer AI to handle fair and proper trades is not practical, but at least provide a draft, maybe some PSFA, so you can learn what players of different strengths can do and how players develop.

That's my $.02 anyway.
    We’re going to work on switching out teams soon enough as we get the kinks out, and try to make a polished intro version. There are other things we can do with this for existing users down the road, definitely. For now, Julie Wera thinks you are onto something.