Team Canada has some trade bait

RF Charles Todd - 80-25-96-76
    C Charles Dupree - 75-41-90-55
    LF Matthew Tran - 64-71-89-80
    RF Richard Goss - 59-83-89-43

P Raymond Collins -

Ideally I would like a catcher and/or IFA

Re: 2036 talk

CK not cap compliant, how's that handled here?

Taken from the rules:

1.1.2: Violating the 60M salary cap on 4/1 results in the following penalties: 1st time=1 point deduction from overall score 2nd time=3 point penalty to the owner’s score. 3rd time=grounds for removal.
    For every month in game (past April) that the owner continues to violate the cap, 1 more point will be deducted.

So at the moment a 1 point penalty (I’m assuming this is the first time he violated the cap). If he stays over, he’ll take a 5 point penalty for May-September, if I’m understanding. And I guess another one in October if he’s still over?

If he’s over at the flip, is it one point for November, or is it one point per month (December, January, February, March) for a total of 5? I guess MAYBE it depends when new salaries take affect….November 2 or first day of spring training? Because we don’t penalize people who are over due to salary cap increases when we flip. So if salaries go up on November 2nd, a lot of us would take penalties, and we don’t, so those months shouldn’t count. But if salaries go up the first day of spring, you could argue Nov-March should also count.

-Wayne

My thoughts on the current cap rules: I suspect they were NOT written as a way to prevent someone from intentionally violating the cap as a strategy. If they were, then that strategy wouldn’t work (the penalties would have to be more severe than the benefits of being over cap, and I don’t think they are). I think the rules were written to prevent an inattentive owner from forgetting to set his roster in April, and to provide an easy mechanism for removing the inattentive owner if the behavior continues.

The good thing about the current rules is that the penalty is pretty small, so if you had to remove an owner, the next owner won’t be penalized too hard. The bad thing is that since the penalty is fairly small, it could be a better strategy to violate the cap and take the penalty (for one or two seasons) than to cut valuable players to get under.

I’m kind of surprised no one has intentionally violated it before.

If we’re going to have a hard cap, I think the cap rule should be reworked in future GOATs so that the penalty is fairly small for an accidental violation or two (some times people go on vacation or work gets tough or they just forget), but significant if it continues into, say, August.

Maybe one point for April 1 and two more for May 1 and four for June 1? Then removed from the league on July 1 (taken over by the commish and immediately stripped down to get under cap). That gives you three in game months (over a week in real time) to get under without being removed. And keep the rule that you can violate it on April 1 two seasons, with the third season = banning. With this, the most penalty points an owner could take is 14 before being banned. Hopefully low enough not to prevent the next owner from taking over.

I’m trying to balance someone who got busy and forgot to adjust their roster vs someone who is trying to gain an advantage. Technically, staying over cap for April and May might still be enough of an advantage to make up 3 losses (penalties). But I think taking 4 losses for being over on June 1 seems like enough of a penalty to prevent it. And obviously removal should be a deterrent….

That’s all assuming we want a hard cap. Another reasonable option (I think) would be to make it a soft cap and have no penalties. And maybe even raise the cap. With the removal of IFA bidding, there’s a whole lot less need for a hard cap.

I’m discussing future GOAT seasons…we can’t change rules mid stream.

Cheers,
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wfn71 View Post
    I think the rules were written to prevent an inattentive owner from forgetting to set his roster in April, and to provide an easy mechanism for removing the inattentive owner if the behavior continues.
    Correct. I'm loving all the discussions about hypothetical future Goats too, more discussion about 7 than ongoing 6 discussion. Goat 6 unfortunately is a mulligan in several ways, a couple of which were my fault, but the majority I will disclaim any responsibility.

I think the rules were written well and for owners with integrity in mind. Unfortunately this is what happens when there are people who refuse to color within the lines.
    Geo (35)

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemensClub View Post
    I think the rules were written well and for owners with integrity in mind. Unfortunately this is what happens when there are people who refuse to color within the lines.
    Agreed, I have no respect for people that can't play by the rules and/or always attempt to game the system for an advantage. Makes me not want to be in any leagues with people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by G Sparks View Post
    Correct. I'm loving all the discussions about hypothetical future Goats too, more discussion about 7 than ongoing 6 discussion. Goat 6 unfortunately is a mulligan in several ways, a couple of which were my fault, but the majority I will disclaim any responsibility.
    I think we all knew that with all the ongoing changes to the site that this GOAT would be…unusual(?). I think the only way we could have avoided that would have been to put off the initial draft until the site had stabilized a bit and people got used to the new way of things. And if you ask me, that time hasn’t arrived yet….maybe that time will be roughly 6 months after the January update, when people have had time to get used to the new development system? And also to give some time to get some of the terrible players that have been generated since USB was implemented retired and replaced (I’m hoping) with decent talent.

On a side note, I think there’s going to be an entire “Lost Generation” of players, site wide. Basically players generated between USB and the next update. Hopefully it ends there.

Anyway, if you’d delayed the start of GOAT 6 until June 2023, there’s a decent chance the league would have just died on the vine. So its probably just as well that we ran with it as is.

-Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wfn71 View Post
    Anyway, if you’d delayed the start of GOAT 6 until June 2023, there’s a decent chance the league would have just died on the vine. So its probably just as well that we ran with it as is.

-Wayne
    I'd like to believe you are right. I'm going to choose to believe that proceeding business as usual was the best course of action given the information available at the time.

I doubt many of had forseen the changes as it was revealed. Nevetheless, it merely brings new challenges. It's always fun in this format. This sprint had a surprising wrinkle allowing decisions in choices of taking the young players available versus the draft picks and free agent picks determinating more than expected results. It's always a gamble, this was amplified and painful for some of us while some didn't have to endure the disappointment quite so much. Hopefully the new update rights the ship and makes the next GOAT more normal.

Current Teams
    Flatland Stick-Dia Legends (1981-) WS 1988-89,92,2003-04,08,17-18
    Istanbul Runnin' Camels-BCB (1993-) WS 1995,99, 2024, 25, 42,43
    Estes Park Mountain Elk-TDD (2101-) WS 01,02,04-05,16,27
    Milwaukee Cream Citys-Brockmire (1981-) WS 91.92,95
    San Francisco Giants-MLB Remake (2115-) WS 2130,36
    Chatham Runnin Round Trippers-RTB (2008-)
    Circassia Horsemen-GOAT 6 (2031-)
    YYZ Rock Musicians-Hippystock Moshpit(1982-)

Past Teams
    WS 6-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast