Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Discussion

2019 Season Discussion

You just gotta love the changes to the system these days.

My 18 year old, #1 overall draft pick from last season just retired....

Re: 2019 Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    My 18 year old, #1 overall draft pick from last season just retired....
    I hope that's a correctible error. That should not happen.

This has been reversed by the higher ups. Apparently the player was not satisfied in the NFL.

They said that it was an incredibly unlucky dice roll that led to his retirement, but they were now making it impossible for this to happen again somehow.
    Last edited by DaveW; December 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

So with winter here (more or less) im feeling like there is going to be more time for me back in the game. Ive been on pretty regularly and would like the couple leagues im in to be the best they can so here's some thoughts that I think can help. Ive been skimming posts over the past couple seasons so i have an idea of whats beeing discussed.

From what ive seen in the newest version of the game there really isnt a reason to have a 75M cap. Previously the salaries got so out of control it was nice having leagues where you could build that powerhouse without being restricted by a low cap. Now with all that excess cap space there is no reason to release fringe players hoping to get something in rule 5 which has been a pretty small part of the league recently. A 60M cap still leave plenty to play with these days.

lack of free agents hurting new owners and anyone tring to field a competitive team in lean years. A reduced cap would help somewhat.

As for the minimum wins, for a team that will be challanged to make the minimum overt he next few seasons i still would like to see the rule in place. The reason the 3 year is in place is so a team has to watch short and long term, with only a 5 year teams could techniclly seriously tank the 1st couple seasons of the rebuild and secure a #1 pick. Here teams need to be atleast respectable all the time.

Probably the coolest part of this league was its creation because the handful of us got to build from the start. Why not plan on a new having a crop of new FAs created for us, reduce the cap and have a FA draft maybe 3 rounds make the draft only open to those who have cap space which would add depth to the current FA pool along with the newly created FAs.
    Current contending teams would probably opt for ready players while rebuilds would add the younger prospects.
    I was suggest we try to fill those 4 open spots, if TonyJala is still in the game he might be happy with these kind of changes. This would give the league a shot in the arm with some fun league interaction.

So those are my thoughts, what do ya'll think?
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire- Philadelphia Stars
    TDD- New York Knights
    ReMake AA - Harrisburg Sens

We should get a small group of owners together to discuss our thoughts and put them forward in a new league to test. I for one posted on the main forum about observations related to the draft and suggestions that may help make things more competitive, but got crickets. No responses or thoughts to that post. These issues were the same issues when I played years ago…

I played CSFBL for a while a few years ago, but left out of frustration. I rejoined recently and the same frustrations are starting to come into play. Bottom line is that a few teams smoke everyone and the rest just sort of muddle along or tank. I decided that instead of leaving I would goof off with some statistics and found some interesting facts that may open an opportunity to improve the game, eliminate tanking and make all the teams in a league more competitive. I was hoping that I could reach someone who worked on the development side of the game, but no luck there, so I will throw this out and see what opportunities for discussion this brings.

First, I have no idea how the draft tables are set, so I do not know how "talent" is spread through the 3 rounds. But I think if the developers were to increase the level of 1st round talent for the first 48 picks, and move second round talent to the last 24 picks it would make things better across the board. My reasoning is this (I only did this over one league of mine for a 20 year period, but verified the data with another league I am in)

1. Out of 36 MVPs, 35 were drafted in the 1st Round, 34 of those were picked in the first 5 picks of any given year.
    2. Out of 36 Cy Youngs, 36 were drafted in the 1st Round, 33 of those were picked in the first 5 picks of any given year.
    3. Out of 36 Rookie of the Years, 32 were drafted in the 1st Round.

And lastly All Stars. in one season, 80 All Stars are selected. 68, or 85% were 1st round picks. Of those 58, or 85% were picked by the 12th pick of the draft. The 2nd Round only produced 10 All Stars, and the 3rd Round 2.

One of the leagues currently has a juggernaut which I assume will continue to basically smoke the competition for the next 5-8 seasons based on age of players. Every player on his roster was taken in the 1st round, mostly from picks 1-13. Being that this is a mentoring league I think he figured out long ago what I figured out recently. Using that knowledge and making some shrewd trades he was able to stack his team with basically an all star roster. In fact, he proposed a trade for my best player offering up his 2nd Round and 3rd Round picks, which as you can tell from above aren't worth a thing. Anyone else want to chime in?? Again. I am just thinking of ways to make things more fun and competitive..

Quote Originally Posted by gnrsss2001 View Post
    One of the leagues currently has a juggernaut
    there is always going to be this unless a commish keeps it in check. As for schrewd trades, its up to the players of the game to understand that when a winning team is offering #24 in the draft for one of your prized active players ou need to be smart and get a package deal because up till now #24 doesnt turn out to be a superstar.

Your analysis is correct and should help you in future dealings.
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    TDD- New York Knights

I am glad to hear that you are getting more time to enjoy things again.

I agree with much of what you have said about the negative impact of such a high salary cap. I think $60M to $65M would be a good cap to have. Whatever it is, we need to ensure that free agency is valuable somehow.

I like your suggestion for another PSFA draft, but would hope that all teams would have managers first (or someone responsible might draft for ownerless teams). Still, if you are not going to periodically offer such a draft (every three to five seasons?) then we will soon be back where we are now without other changes.

I am fine having both a three-year and a five-year minimum win structure, but would like to see the requirements change to make the three-year minimum more difficult to make in relation to the five-year minimum. We almost never see the three-year penalty assessed. My thought is that either the five-year is too high, or the three-year is not high enough, or possibly both.

Whatever is done with the number of wins before being penalized, I feel that teams should not have to struggle to dig out of the hole. Maybe a rule that a penalty should be reduced or eliminated for teams that improve their win totals (by one, five, or however many wins) or maybe their place in their division year over year would be good.

The lack of responses in 24 hours is a bit sad but its par for the course. Pausing the league might be a good idea if there is a thought of kick starting the league.
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    TDD- New York Knights

A FA draft would be interesting. It is very long, since the update, to reboot a team and to reconstruct. It really takes more season (50% more, 6 seasons, at least, my Elite Giant team is a good, or sad, example, Waco in RTB too). And when you are on the loss side, you fall (Monarchs history). I had the worse seasons in franchise history.

Some FA draft, like RTB during the first seasons, would be great addition.

Development is slower, players getting ready at 26 yo rather then 22-23. But they seems to stay stronger for more seasons then before, even when we had full allocations.
    Owner of :
    Binopolis Blue Sox (BCP) *est.1982
    Binopolis Red Sox (RHP) *day 1 WS Finalist 1981 Division Finalist 1982 ; 1983
    Binopolis Classic Sox(Classic Prospect) *day 1 WS Finalist 1981
    Bowie Baysox (MLB - ReMake AA) *est. 2088 WS CHAMP 2088 WS Finalist 2089
    Gwinnett Braves (MLB - ReMake AA) *est. 2091
    Kansas City Monarchs (TCB) *est. 1983
    St Louis Cardinals (TML) *est. 1963 WS Finalist 1964 Division Finalist 1963, 1966 Conference Finalist 1967

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast