Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Salary Cap 2143 Discussion

New Salary Cap 2143 Discussion

Some of the owners have a suggested a change in the salary cap. So let us know what you think?

$60m hard cap

Or

$55m soft cap, $60m hard cap. Teams over $60 get players cut

Or

Keep $55m hard cap

Re: New Salary Cap 2143 Discussion

My preferences: I've always liked the gap between soft and hard caps... but it takes a lot of work by the commissioners. If it is an option, then #2... otherwise keep $55M hard cap... it promotes free agent availability, and makes the team owners work with less than optimal players at every position (which I personally enjoy).

We went to soft/hard cap and the tradeoff was more money spent on salaries, than less allocation money. it definitely added to the strategy.

But since allocations are set by csfbl, I am not sure what the distinction would be. In other words,v what is the downside to falling between $55 million and $60 million?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamNY View Post
    But since allocations are set by csfbl, I am not sure what the distinction would be. In other words,v what is the downside to falling between $55 million and $60 million?
    Not being able to bid on free agents... or rather, having to be back under the $55 million soft cap if you do bid on them. I think this also applies to trades.

So temporarily allow teams to go over $55 million but still required to make hard cap of $55 million on April 1st

a.) For trade, that would be ok and could be helpful. But in reality, we have very few trades.

b.) Spring Training Free Agents (stfa) - to me the only purpose of stfa is to help competition, let the weaker teams compete quicker. So personally , I would find helping winning teams acquire more stfa not helpful

Since we can all agree we want a competitive league, we should consider limiting the number of teams allowed to bid on stfa. One option would be teams making playoffs last 2 or 3 years would be intelligible to bid on stfa.

While recent stfa have been pretty weak, go look back 5 or more years ago and you will see a number of the better teams often winning the best stfa.

That is not my understanding. Permanently allow teams to go over $55M (up to $60M), and on 4/1 if teams are over $60M, action is taken to drop them to $60M.

If I am not mistaken, you can go over $55M if you want to... up to $60M without intervention, and keep your team there if you want to. If you want to maintain a team salary that high, however, you are over the league setting of $55M which is what is used when determining allowable trades (teams must be under the league cap of $55M), and when determining when you can acquire a free agent (taking the team no higher than $55M as a result of the FA acquisition).

So... it would be a commissioner imposed $60M hard cap, and a system imposed $55M soft cap.

So, to your notes...

a) It shouldn't help or hinder trades at all... the limit for trades is still $55M.

b) This would help weaker teams compete more quickly, and not help winning teams as much. Those winning teams likely are over the $55M limit which precludes them from acquiring PSFA's (as well as participating in trades) without dropping a lot of salary somehow.
    Last edited by DaveW; November 25, 2022 at 02:30 PM.

if system cap is $55 million, the system will not let you go over that amount for trades or bidding on free agents.

Previously, we allowed teams to go $5 million over the system cap due to raises and prior seasons draft picks

if system cap is $55 million, the system will not let you go over that amount for trades or bidding on free agents.
    Correct. This is what I said.

Previously, we allowed teams to go $5 million over the system cap due to raises and prior seasons draft picks
    I haven't been in this league all that long, but perhaps this time it would be different in that there would be no forced reduction down to the salary cap... you could go up to (and stay up to) $5M over the cap, if you wanted to do so. (The forced reduction would be down to $5M over the cap, should you go over $60M as of 4/1.)
    Last edited by DaveW; November 25, 2022 at 05:35 PM.

Just an an FYI, the league only went to the hard/soft cap in July 2021 (about 7 or 8 seasons ago). We are always willing to explore new options to improve the game experience. We do appreciate and encourage new idea. We want people interested in the game and our league and I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was just trying to understand better what changes you thought would help.

The salary Cap was just lowered at the end of August. I was the only one who voiced an objection at that time. At least 3 teams (probably more) made trades/cut players due to the lower cap. It would be unfair to those teams to raise the cap now. You can't change the cap every other season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast