Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the tourney ?

What do you think of the tourney ?

Hey,
    I am going to do this quick notes style.

Love the concept, single season, picking from a pool
    It is challenging because
    1. There is no "perfect" lineup, just doing the best you can
    2. You don't know who the other teams will draft !
    3. With a very similar ratings mix of players who knows what normalization will do ?

Things I wonder about
    1. What if two teams pick identical players, one wins and one comes in at the bottom ? What does that say about randomness in the engine?
    2. Left/right, will it come into play?
    3. No switch hitters

If I think of others I will add another post. Curious what everyone thinks.

I've "drafted" 12 teams and put them in an XLS. So far team 10 is the one I am using.

Nurmdog
    Carlsburg Specials - Beer League, WSC 2081, 2089, 2093, 2095, 2104, 2115, 2117, 2120
    Cloud City Turncoats - Empire Strikes Back, WSC 1991, 2038
    Houston Colt 45s/Astros - Historical Replay, WSC 1975, 1982
    Howe Gauche - Kapsileta, WSC 2054, 2057
    Kansas City Monarchs - MLB Throwback, WSC 2032, 2044, 2046
    Texas Rangers - MLB Classic, WSC 2142, 2157
    Kiruna Laplanders - MLB World, WSC 2114, 2136
    Galveston Buccaneers - RTB WSC 2005
    Hudson Hornets - GOAT 4 and 5
    Redraft 2.1 and 2.7 Champion

Re: What do you think of the tourney ?

One thing I had been wondering was how much time people would put into selecting a team. After seeing your last sentence, I think I can safely say that I put in significantly less time. Well maybe not significantly less time, but I just kind of eyeballed it for a couple of days when I had free time and then just sat down and made my picks on paper before entering it. I'm going to guess that a lot more people do it your way than mine.

The trade-off with having a lot of freedom in how you make your team is chance to obsess over all the possible directions to go. I HOPE that some teams that are very different from each other can still succeed, but we will see.

We just went through quick, made one u-turn (to insert a different CF'er) and just drafted on gut instinct. Didn't look back- kinda wanted to see what will happen drafting like a mad man- As my friend "Mucky" in the Navy use to say, while playing cards, "Think LONG, Think WRONG!!!".

Whit-

Quote Originally Posted by citizenclone View Post
    I HOPE that some teams that are very different from each other can still succeed, but we will see.
    There is certainly some room for self-correction. There will always be a "best" lineup in a Nash Equilibrium sense, but the actual highest performing lineup will depend a bit on the 5 other teams in your division -- are they platooning or not, have they prioritized offense or defense, etc.

I will say this much, there are a few players I suspect will make their way onto most of the successful teams, and several that will probably not be picked at all (or perform poorly the few times they are). An interesting option that I hope is being discussed is to repeat this event with the winningest players nerfed, replaced, or advanced a tier, and the losingest players buffed/replaced/demoted.

Love the tournament.

I don't really play seriously in any FA Era setting, so I was forced to do regression analysis on an appropriate league. What I found confirmed some of my thoughts and rumors I had heard. There is a clear difference in value and outputs of each major rating. I have not completed my regressions yet, as I still need to analyze the relative effects of defense/range in FA Era. Obviously, its less effective than the classic era, but I need to see how much to value defense.

What I can say, after analyzing the entire tournament and its players, is that Clone did a good job of mixing things up and keeping it balanced. There are very difficult decisions at each level. There are also a couple of very obvious decisions, for those in the know.

All of this said, who knows what teams you'll be stacked up against... and what effects normalization would be. In a neutral environment, where every team played 160 games vs all average players, I think it would be easy to say, after 10,000 simmed seasons... there is one correct answer to this tournament. I aim to aim to build that team. In this environment though, I think most teams will be within 20 wins of each other, and there is no real right answer. Too much noise (luck, randomness, other variables) in the equation, if you will.

Instead of $100, I want a steak dinner in Texas with Zuba.
    Franchise Four
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    AA ReMake Commissioner (2124-Present)

I love the idea and I think it opens up a lot more fun stuff that the sim engine can be used for.

In terms of time, I obsessed over for a day and then locked it in. I think there are a lot of ways to build a great team depending on how you prioritize your players. I think I found certain guys in the middle rounds that made my decisions on the top guys a little different than they would've been if I started at the top. I'm super interested to see how it all plays out since nothing like this has been done before in the game.

Sometimes with this game the saying about everyone else playing chess while I'm playing checkers crosses my mind...…but after seeing some of the comments in this thread I may have to downgrade myself from checkers to "Chutes and Ladders".

I had an idea for a simple theme. Stuck to that and then rather lazily filled out the balance of the team. It took about 45 minutes and I do not expect to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by crimedog60 View Post
    I'm going to guess that a lot more people do it your way than mine.
    I don't know that that is true. I suspect most people fall somewhere in between regression analysis and taking the top 25 guys with 'the coolest names'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast