Thread: is there such a thing as a "clutch" player in CSFBL?

is there such a thing as a "clutch" player in CSFBL?

Hey guys, just wondering, is there a hidden "clutch" factor for players? I noticed in situational stats that some players have very different numbers for "close and late" and "scoring position" when compared to their normal stats (some much better, others much worse)... is this due to some secret player attribute or is it just random noise?

Also if a clutch factor exists for each player, does it apply equally to both situations (close and late, scoring position) or are there separate factors for each?

And finally does this have any effect on playoff performance vs. regular season performance?

I looked through the help pages but could not find any info on this, maybe I missed it somewhere though

Re: is there such a thing as a "clutch" player in CSFBL?

The official info is that there is no clutch rating. There is a clutch factor when looking at a player's career in retrospect, but it is the result of chance (supposedly).

"Close and late" and "scoring position" are much smaller samples than career, so you should expect more variance. It's just like how a batter can have 1.200 OPS a few weeks into the season, but you would know not to expect that to continue. Or how a bad player can have a good year, etc.

It's human nature to try to assign meaning to things like this, but try to remember that what you are describing is exactly the expected outcome of random sampling.

"Close and late" in particular is going to mean you're much more likely facing a bullpen arm, and rarely are those going to be better pitchers than starters.