Thread: I'm back

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm back

well sort of

I moved a few months ago which has changed a lot in my life, I had a big Labor Day surprise birthday party for Mom and Dad which i'd been planning for the past few months and now I have one to get together for my wife at the end of Oct. So ive spent 2 days in a row on the site for the 1st time in a while.

Initially I was curious to see if i was being screamed at for not responding to PMs for the forum and was shocked to see that I had none and the 2 leagues Im still in had almost no forum activity. That is worse than I expected. Im one who has migrated to discord but firmly believe that the demise of the forums could be very bad for the game. I could be wrong since there are maybe only a handful of owners in each league that used the forums on a regular basis.

What about the game itself with all the changes?
    I really miss running drafts, yeah thats crazy right? No, it was a main reason I stayed engaged. Yes, it was too much at times but it was also the time during each season that owners (most) checked into the forums becaused they recieved PMs about upcoming picks and actually discussed their pick or maybe one that was made ahead of them.

The first run on chnaging how the sim worked was brutal, the powers that be acknowledged and corrected. Things seem to be better but as we were told we have to learn all over again. I always thought the draft classes were weak for a while now. Top heavy with not enough fringe players, many that know more than I about the game disagreed. Now without scouting and picking middle of the pack i have little interest in the system lately. When things first changed I went with teens with 1 or 2 good attributes, a few seasons have gone by in development and there are few i have any excitement about. I didnt even bother with my picks here or Brockmire (12th & 21st). I'll have 2nd or 3rd next season here with a 68 win season which further enforces my argumnet about tanking. I have been completely disengaged the whole season and still managed 68 wins. anyone that goes into the low 50's or below really is tanking.

I dont know what all this means but I'm going to be back with some more activity with an upcoming season here and some work to do maybe getting some of those empty teams filled. See ya'll around.
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire- Philadelphia Stars
    TDD- New York Knights
    ReMake AA - Harrisburg Sens

Re: I'm back

Happy to see you back bobcat !

I am still learning about draft and dev. I can't draft the same way I was. Drafting not for the biggest potential, but for the best player available, the nearest to peak, the closest to a certain caract level or for a player that might be weaker on the long term, but that has more chance to reach the said potential.

I'm struggling in Brockmire. I left a few leagues, had to much. I am enjoying these Brewers, of course.
    Owner of :
    Binopolis Blue Sox (BCP) *est.1982
    Binopolis Red Sox (RHP) *day 1 WS Finalist 1981 Division Finalist 1982 ; 1983
    Binopolis Classic Sox(Classic Prospect) *day 1 WS Finalist 1981
    Bowie Baysox (MLB - ReMake AA) *est. 2088 WS CHAMP 2088 WS Finalist 2089
    Gwinnett Braves (MLB - ReMake AA) *est. 2091
    Kansas City Monarchs (TCB) *est. 1983
    St Louis Cardinals (TML) *est. 1963 WS Finalist 1964 Division Finalist 1963, 1966 Conference Finalist 1967

Discord has far too much noise for me. I prefer an active forum but feels like I'm nearly alone.

Ted Leal
    just retired. In perhaps the worst trade of all-time, my desire for pitching had me trade a multi-MVP in Nathan Miller

Leal crashed almost immediately while Miller still had like 8 near MVP seasons in him. Oops.

Good to see you back bobcat, I honestly don't know how long I'll still be around. I'm really struggling to stay engaged with the new game. Since USB my 4 teams, which were all very strong, have not done well at all (with the exception of League of Legends where I just went to the WS). I tend to have teams with very strong offenses and 3-4 good, but not elite, starting pitchers and that served me very well, but my offenses all completely tanked with USB (as many did) but have not seemed to bounce back with the game improvements. I've had more top 10 draft choices since June than I had in the previous 5 years....drafting was always fun in the past -- even with the challenges of picking in the 20s, but now it doesn't seem fun anymore.

I'm not bowing out quite yet but don't know how much longer I will go on. In Brockmire I'll definitely stick with Houston until the rebuild is complete and there's no worries for the new owner about hitting minimum wins.

As someone who isn't terribly competitive with my teams, I never understood the "my teams aren't any good and rather than learn the new system I'm going to quit". Just learn the new system.

Winning is great and the goal, but just because you aren't doesn't mean you still can't have fun with this.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJalaPena View Post
    Winning is great and the goal, but just because you aren't doesn't mean you still can't have fun with this.
    Despite the tone of my previous post, I agree with you. I don't think the lack of winning is what is turning me off. I'm not 100% sure what it is, which might be why I'm still here. I'm a very left-brained, numbers-oriented person, so the previous version, where there was a much more direct correlation between ratings and outcomes, appealed to me more -- I think, lol. It seems like my competitive nature would drive me to "learn the new system" as you put it, but it just hasn't. Maybe it's the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" (I'm 60).

I am going to try the fall contest....who knows, maybe that will ignite something.

Quote Originally Posted by orangecat13748 View Post
    seems like my competitive nature would drive me to "learn the new system" as you put it, but it just hasn't.
    Im going to pound your team silly and I also hate cats. They are worthless balls of fur who leave there **** and piss in a box and make you clean up.

Does that help with competitiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJalaPena View Post
    Im going to pound your team silly and I also hate cats. They are worthless balls of fur who leave there **** and piss in a box and make you clean up.

Does that help with competitiveness?
    Haha not sure it helps, but I love the effort.