Thread: Crazy Man

Crazy Man

14 plus million for a PSFA the funny money syndrome continues...I thought I was crazy offering 6 Million..I was hoping to get him and than trade a primo pitcher for Heavy bats....I guess that train concept has left the station

Re: Crazy Man

I took me a while to figure out that strategy, and it used to be much harder with allocations. I bid on a PSFA in another league at $14M and didn't get him.

P James Rico is the man in question.

Had the cash to spend, and I'm finally within sight of competing. I inherited a completely mediocre Scranton--not quite good enough to acquire a couple of pieces and compete, but too good to really strip down. After six seasons with Scranton, we're 464-496 (.483), but I've finally built up enough young talent through the draft that .500 and beyond is in sight.

What we've been lacking is another starting pitcher or two in the pipeline. Enter Rico. At 23 he's nearly fully developed, and while he doesn't have the stuff to headline a staff, he should be a solid SP3, and he has the EN to take the load off the other starters, including future team ace David Allshouse.

Signing Rico at this salary is a preemptive admission of defeat this year as I'll be unable to sign bullpen depth (and we wouldn't have been that good even with it), but with his bonus dropping $6.3mil next year and another year of development for the rest of the youngins, we should make strides in 2144, and might hit a wildcard in 2145.

Had I just signed depth, I'd likely have had something like $10mil in cash I wasn't using, so it might as well get used on Rico.

I upped my bid to 12.5 when I saw you entered a bid. Now I see your transactions took you to exactly 60M. Well played.

That makes me feel better about my bid. My big worry was bidding this much when the next highest was like $7mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardtube View Post
    including future team ace David Allshouse.
    I’m curious to see how good Allshouse is. I took Pat Humphrey #2 overall, and he’s already won a CY. He’s quite a few years older though.

I probably would have taken Allshouse too, but I’m definitely happy with Humphrey.

I'm doubtful Allshouse will end up outcompeting Humphrey. Even if he's better at his peak, which isn't a sure thing, that EN is going to keep Humphrey relevant much longer. The new dev curves also didn't help at all Allshouse while Humphrey was nearly maxed when drafted giving him even more utility.

Allshouse should top out at 91-93-88-68 and 65 EN. Should still be pretty good, but Humphrey will likely outcompete him in awards and career stats.
    Last edited by Cardboardtube; August 30, 2022 at 08:12 AM.

Surprised I had enough cash to offer another $14mil bid on Steven Deskins. Remains to be seen how high that FI is going to get. If he can get to 98 or 99, it'll be worth it.

12x the base price not enough for this guy.

I hate the way the game handles PSFA.