Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cap Discussion

Cap Discussion

I think we need to have a discussion on implementing a Hard Salary Cap. With full scouting, there really isn't much incentive to manage the Cap and it will likely get out of hand. It will also decrease any trade/FA activity. It's worth a discussion and poll at some point. If we go with a Cap, how much? If it's determined that we should have a Cap, I wouldn't enforce it immediately so that teams have time to efficiently manage themselves down.

Personally, I think we should go to a Cap. I like 60M, but I'm not opposed to 65M. 70M might be a bit much.

Re: Cap Discussion

I have enjoyed being in this one league without a cap, but I guess the lack of FOA makes it hard to maintain.
    I'd rather not make any decision yet though, as I don't trust that the salary level has settled yet.

Not a fan of a cap here either, but really don't care either way. Personally, I'm in leagues from a fairly low hard cap, to no cap, and I don't really see a difference in trading between any of them. I think it comes down more to league activity than a cap. I can see improved FA's from a lower cap, but not trade activity.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-2
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-4
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-1
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:1-3
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:5-1
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:4-2
    Historical Replay-Det Tigers 1964-
    GOAT 5/6-Port City/Mendoza
    Hippystock Moshpit-McGraw's Unforgiven 7/5/88
    Past
    Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1
    Tilted Tables-Pilots 1991- WS:2-6

I'm not a super big fan of caps because to me the thing that it really does is kill the ability to trade. It makes it far too difficult to pull off a trade. Now maybe if you did something like a hard cap at the start of the season but then an increased cap after the season starts, I'd be more bought into the idea. I just hate being hamstrung when I'd like to add a player to make a playoff push but am effectively prohibited from doing so because adding a player of value over what I have will usually mean adding salary.
    YoG - Dayton Triangles (2061-Present)
    College World Series - FSU Seminoles (1967-Present)
    MLB ReMake AAA - Las Vegas 51s (2082-2094)
    MLB ReMake - Chicago Cubs (2094-2131)
    Two Major Leagues - Boston Red Sox (1957-Present)
    The Dirty Dozen - Los Angeles Trolley Dodgers (2076-Present)
    League of Legends - Chicago Wolves (2111 - Present)

Quote Originally Posted by bmikes View Post
    I'm not a super big fan of caps because to me the thing that it really does is kill the ability to trade. It makes it far too difficult to pull off a trade. Now maybe if you did something like a hard cap at the start of the season but then an increased cap after the season starts, I'd be more bought into the idea. I just hate being hamstrung when I'd like to add a player to make a playoff push but am effectively prohibited from doing so because adding a player of value over what I have will usually mean adding salary.
    Isn't that the case with the soft cap as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigge View Post
    I'd rather not make any decision yet though, as I don't trust that the salary level has settled yet.
    I too am skeptical that what we see now is how salaries will finally shake out. I suspect we won't get a clear idea until the current generation of players age out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigge View Post
    I have enjoyed being in this one league without a cap, but I guess the lack of FOA makes it hard to maintain.
    Valid point. This is why we need this discussion.

Should we circle back to this discussion? Since the switch to the new system, free agency is as dead as dead can be in this league. I'm 15+ million under the cap, but with no FOA to worry about there is ZERO quality sitting there on the free agent list.

Yes, I'm rebuilding right now so I'm experiencing this side of it - but that was one of the fun parts of the old system: the strategy in managing FOA & the cap - who to cut, when to bail on a veteran, etc. And believe me, I've been on both sides of the discussion (I think I was like 40 million over the cap at one point).

So... should we talk about a hard cap or maybe keeping the soft cap & adding some extra free agents each offseason? I know this league's been unique in resisting both those urges over the years, but the offseason is incredibly stale right now with the new system. Just looking for a way to inject a little life into it.

What does everyone think?

This is my only league without a hard cap, which makes that a nice feature. Injecting a few free agents could be fun, if the commissioners want to do it. There may be a risk that it would just add assets that bad teams trade away for draft picks immediately, which would defeat the purpose.

Definitely worth a discussion now.

I would be in favor of setting a hard-Cap. I think this is my only soft-Cap league. I don't like soft-Caps but this league holds a special place in my heart, so I've stayed with it.

I don't really like injecting PSFAs. I'd be against that.

Consider the discussion open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast