Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Salary cap discussion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,079

    Salary cap discussion

    Thoughts and ideas concerning the salary cap of 65 million.
    I am not considering a hard cap, that requires way too much policing.
    Salaries overall did appear to drop substantially so is 65 million a little high?
    Benefits of a higher/lower cap... negatives...
    How does this affect the FA crop at the beginning of the season? I guess we will see shortly.
    What else?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    Didn't see much of a change in Punxsutawney. One thing I do like about the higher cap is that it encourages building out a bullpen. With dev/drills not a worry and having a few extra dollars, drafting a guy with the bullpen in mind is a completely valid idea.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    Not much input on salary cap.
    Benefits of higher cap, filling out bullpen.
    Negatives, I see hoarding players in AAA. Overspending on PSFA. Active managers (like myself) have anywhere from 10 to 20 million extra in cap space. As I always played the Front office game.
    Looking at league salaries we have from just over 65 mil all the way down to 38 mil that's a large spread... granted the owners on the lower end could/should be adding players. But I'm also seeing AAA disparity from 8mil to next to nothing or literally 0 as well as up to 12 mil in LM ... I haven't got much to say concerning LM as it just got very difficult to tell when a player is ready. But if teams have 5,6,7,8 mil to burn in AAA and 10+ to cook in LM it seems we have too much cap room.
    The question is will lowering cap bring about a more competitive league? More competitive divisions?
    Or I guess on the other side will leaving cap at 65 cause more of a disparity?
    Ultimately I would like the decision to promote a more competitive league.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    I am convinced that a salary cap decrease will promote more competition. My thoughts are moving cap to 55 mil in two seasons. That's 2156.
    This will be a soft cap, so you may choose to stay over cap with no huge detriment.
    If you feel like this is not in the best interest of the league as a whole or are convinced this will not promote more competition, please speak freely. I don't care to be a `one-man show' as a commish, but I do think this would be a good move for the league.
    I am also flexible on timeline if necessary... and to address the elephant in the room, league votes have been a poor representation of the league as a whole in the past. As I'm sure most of us (who are reading this) have noted many of the owners rarely or never use the forum.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by romans View Post
    I am convinced that a salary cap decrease will promote more competition. My thoughts are moving cap to 55 mil in two seasons. That's 2156.
    This will be a soft cap, so you may choose to stay over cap with no huge detriment.
    If you feel like this is not in the best interest of the league as a whole or are convinced this will not promote more competition, please speak freely. I don't care to be a `one-man show' as a commish, but I do think this would be a good move for the league.
    I am also flexible on timeline if necessary... and to address the elephant in the room, league votes have been a poor representation of the league as a whole in the past. As I'm sure most of us (who are reading this) have noted many of the owners rarely or never use the forum.
    I am for decreasing the salary cap. If we want to ensure parity though, I am not for a draft lottery. What prompted that change?
    Trading > Winning

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    I'm mostly indifferent towards a salary cap change.

    As I noted before I enjoy being able to try to field a solid bullpen (gives more flexibility in terms of building your starting rotation as you can target lower EN starters), and I enjoy being able to field quality bench players to sub into games (as I think position players play slightly fewer games due to changes in fatigue recovery).

    A soft cap in this new era of CSFBL basically amounts to not being able to trade since you don't have to worry about missing allocations, you weren't getting any PSFAs with a high salary anyway, and you weren't getting much in the way of standard salaried free agents.

    Given I'm already in some lower capped leagues, I'd tend towards wanting this one higher just for variety's sake, but it's not a big deal to me if it changes. I would be against a hard-capped $55mil league (not that it's being proposed) just because that would turn this league into a clone of Moneyball for me (and I'm not sure yet if I enjoy that league with the new changes).

    If I had my druthers, I'd keep the $65mil league. If not that, then a $60mil cap. If not that, it's no big deal.
    Last edited by Cardboardtube; August 6, 2022 at 02:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    As for the lottery, I'm again indifferent.

    The new scouting system may be all the randomization that is needed as it's now less of a sure thing when drafting than it was before. That said, it works both ways, so randomized randomization shouldn't be much more random than nonrandomized randomization.

    If I had to pick one I'd probably give the edge to having the lottery versus not having it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by NBills View Post
    I am for decreasing the salary cap. If we want to ensure parity though, I am not for a draft lottery. What prompted that change?
    I felt like the lottery would further discourage an owner from playing for the #1 pick. Was looking at the lottery and it appears the 3 worst records have equal chances of getting that pick, fourth and fifth worst records also have a reasonable chance at it. In my mind it looked like a way to get away from policing the 60 W and applying penalties. Although I have left that as a possibility. Honestly, I am more for removing an owner for tanking than playing the penalty game. But that has had me coming off a bit bullish and rude. Which is why I prefer a co-commish to bounce decisions around with.
    https://help.csfbl.com/wiki/82/draft-lottery
    With the lottery, obviously the chance for a higher win team to get a high pick is possible (but not good odds)... not desired so hopefully that doesn't happen.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardtube View Post
    As for the lottery, I'm again indifferent.

    The new scouting system may be all the randomization that is needed as it's now less of a sure thing when drafting than it was before. That said, it works both ways, so randomized randomization shouldn't be much more random than nonrandomized randomization.

    If I had to pick one I'd probably give the edge to having the lottery versus not having it.
    This seriously made me laugh, because it is sadly true. Sure we can snag a great prospect but the chances of reaching potentials is slim. This whole FOA provided for you is a loaded nappie. More like internal ratings are driving player development ... low Minors bonus helps a bit but it is really a crapshoot as to... who will reach potential ratings?
    Last edited by romans; August 8, 2022 at 01:27 AM.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Salary cap discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardtube View Post
    I would be against a hard-capped $55mil league
    Agreed, absolutely no interest in hard cap, way way way too much work, for no real reason imho.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •