Thread: Scouting on or off?

Scouting on or off?

...Just read where if scouting is "ON" each team gets an inaccurate scouting report based on the color of their socks, and the height of the CF fence, or something like that, but if scouting is "OFF", (which we have to specially request), then each team gets 100% accuracy. Currently, our league scouting is "ON", so reports cannot be trusted... Should we go to "OFF"?
    ...I suppose that "on" represents having a somewhat flaky cousin doing the reports, while "off" is the latest 'Billy Ball" computerized accuracy...
    ...Anyway, however it comes about:
    ...Scouting... "ON" or "OFF" ?

joebaseball

Re: Scouting on or off?

I'm going to vote for Scouting On, the idea that scouting is a guess, and as players age the scouting becomes more accurate (also at that point have actual results) seems like a challenge I am willing to do
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by joebaseball View Post
    ...Just read where if scouting is "ON" each team gets an inaccurate scouting report based on the color of their socks, and the height of the CF fence, or something like that, but if scouting is "OFF", (which we have to specially request), then each team gets 100% accuracy. Currently, our league scouting is "ON", so reports cannot be trusted... Should we go to "OFF"?
    ...I suppose that "on" represents having a somewhat flaky cousin doing the reports, while "off" is the latest 'Billy Ball" computerized accuracy...
    ...Anyway, however it comes about:
    ...Scouting... "ON" or "OFF" ?

joebaseball
    I'm for scouting On also...

...As an example, in one league I'm in when scouting was the old way last season, there were two FA's that came in over 4 mil before bidding. My scouting at the time was 10/10, so I had the best scouts in the business... Neither player had a stat over 78, most in the mid 60's to 70's. I thought at the tine their salary "demands" were ridiculous. They should have come in at 1.5 or so at most with those numbers. So far, that has proven true. One is making 6 mil, and batting .238 with 5 Hrs in 80+ games... The other is making 4.6 mil, batting .245 with 8 HRs and 17 rbi in 51 games. He was released after a handful of games by the original bidder, then resigned by another team.
    ...Point being that specific scouting on a team by team basis can make all the difference when signing FA's or drafting players. I view the Scouting "off" as all teams belonging to the same scouting service. 100% accuracy. A level playing field. Scouting "On" is no longer controllable by adjusting team money, so, I mistrust its basis for accuracy on any individual team. Had I not had my scouting at 10/10 in that league, then I might have been drawn into a big error, as were other owners that year.
    ...Can anyone provide the criteria for how Scouting "On" actually works for individual teams? I also wonder how "Player Development" and "Longevity" is decided now that teams cannot adjust these for themselves...

joebaseball
    Last edited by joebaseball; June 24, 2022 at 10:49 AM.

Scouting on for TCL, i had 10/10 scouting so knew that John Gray was last year at age 25:

61/61, 84/92, 55/57, 66/73 for his big 4

After the scouting update his 25 season (history card) shows:

54, 79, 49, 60 so some significant under-scout occurred

This season (age 26 and assuming some development) he shows:

55, 84, 51, 62 -still under-scout, but did tick a little closer toward true with FI jumping more because I assume he developed more

His potential ratings are:

C-, B+, D+, C which would be about 57, 82, 52, 62, so his potentials are actually underscout also.

Do we know if the letter grade potentials change as the player ages, or are they static? I'll ask in TCL.

I'm assuming players can be 'over scouted' but i havent found that in my limited search-can try to dig in my team there more.

From small sample size from that team, my 28 year old pitchers scouting matched the 10/10 from last season, 27 year old pitcher was still off a little...is this a hard and fast age where scouting 'catches up' -i dont know-i only looked at a handful of players. I can dig in more.
    Last edited by dl3mk3; June 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM.

...I believe that the potential ratings themselves do not change but that they would have far less significance for an older player than a younger one, as an older player would have far less of a chance of reaching his potential that late into his career compared to a younger, untested player.
    ...Also, it said somewhere that a player may or may not reach their potential in any category anyway, and that an individual player may fall far short, or even exceed their potential. What bothers me, if that is true or not, is that we, as owners have no way to adjust that in a positive or negative way, since we cannot move our money around to make any changes in our budget on a team by team basis.

Supposedly potential ratings could be low, and then they may shift up as actuals surpass the potentials. Otherwise they stay static the entire career and like you said-many players probably wont hit them.