Thread: The future is unclear now

The future is unclear now

I am really not looking forward to the changes that are coming and it seems feasible that they could gradually kill my interest in CSFBL. It all depends if I can get used to it and still like the game as much as I did.
    That is unknown to me currently to be honest and I have no interest in even discussing what we do about it in regard to this league right now.
    I will certainly be wanting to just keep things as close as possible to what we have now when it all first comes in.
    I am just really dreading the letters for potentials instead of numbers. It will ruin one of my favourite parts of the game where I like to build my future team in my own file. Now it will just look ridiculous with a big block of A's and B's etc....
    So just to give everyone a heads up that the changes jeopardise my position as commissioner here too if after a few months the game is not enjoyable to me anymore. I have no idea if that will be the case at this time.

Re: The future is unclear now

Understand. Let me know if you decide to leave. I’d be happy to take things over and keep this league moving. And I agree, I also prefer to keep the settings for this league as close as possible to the current settings. I’d be ok with implementing the lottery, but that’s about it.

Ok. I will likely give it a chance until the end of 2022 and might be fine with it all. Just this letters instead of numbers thing COULD be a big issue for me and spoil things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Jepherson View Post
    Understand. Let me know if you decide to leave. I’d be happy to take things over and keep this league moving. And I agree, I also prefer to keep the settings for this league as close as possible to the current settings. I’d be ok with implementing the lottery, but that’s about it.

The other thing I don't really get at this point is the removal of front office budgets.
    I like this feature but I also like being in a couple of leagues with auto full allocations for variety.
    Now I don't really understand how it will work. Is experience scrapped too? I like how you can be over budget overall but then because you are developing a number of players still and their EXP is still zero they are not contributing the figure you can allocate for the FO.
    I have no idea at this point if it will be good to reduce the cap here or not.

1. We will definitely be staying with CLASSIC mode that much is certain. The idea of modes that are either the dullest form of baseball that fans of baseball hate (Dead ball) or a version where stats are less relevant (Free agent) is bizarre to me. Fortunately this isn't something we are forced to change.

2. We will start with scouting off and see how it goes. Again seems weird to me that the numbers are most accurate with scouting OFF!, and I much prefer the idea of the stats accuracy being based on how much money you put into scouting because that makes more sense to me than the numbers being totally accurate when you switch scouting off but there you go. It might be just me but the idea seems to be - Employ a scout (switch it on) and you get a rubbish scout that can't judge players. Once again bizarre.

3. Individual potentials keeps it as close as possible to normal. They say it will be more of a "challenge" to have the summary option but to me it just looks like you have a more random pot luck type situation. I don't see where the challenge comes in exactly with this. You just don't really know what the characteristics of your players are seems more apt of an explanation. Does ANYONE actually not want to know what kind of range, glove or arm their player has? Does anyone prefer the idea to just have a B- for all fielding? Not like the game engine clarifies what kind of error was committed does it? So how do you learn? The idea seems to be it's a challenge to just see what happens by knowing very little. To me it breeds passive play rather than actual management.

4. I am open to considering the draft lottery and this is the thing that could actually be a good thing.
    However you all know my stance on the issue from the recent debate about tanking that occurred but it could just be a better system to go with the lottery and we can test this to see how it goes.

5. Salary Cap. Like I said - ?????????

Finally I will allude again to the letters instead of numbers being my biggest worry for my own ongoing participation in the long run.
    This is killing possibly my favourite part of the game.
    I currently know all my ten teams futures for up to TEN seasons ahead!
    I know which position to draft next, which positions I have a player for already but can look to improve upon by that time, and which season I would need to be putting money into either batting or pitching.
    That will not be the same anymore.

For example with my team here I know 8/9 position players in 10 years time. I have 9/11 of the pitchers with all players aged 35 or under in that year. I even know the type of player I want and that the RF I want next to complete the team should be someone at least good enough for the 5-hole.

This below doesn't appear as well as in MY file but you get the idea.

BLUE JAYS 1 – 2153

DH/RF LOMBARDO 35 91-76-60-64-67-54-56-43-42 *6
    SS CABOT 29 95-37-86-57-76-88-34-91-91 *9
    1B BROOKS 35 78-60-71-93-68-46-84-47-60 *3
    CF ALLSOP 33 45-70-69-90-72-79-98-44-52 *7
    RF *2 *10
    C CANTOR 32 71-51-82-39-66-48-52-69-82 *8
    3B RUTLEDGE 35 71-98-62-71-54-94-60-61-61 *1
    2B SHEA 33 47-28-66-44-39-92-73-68-70 *5
    LF HARTLEY 33 L 96-24-49-25-67-88-100-55-57 *4

So yeah, not looking forward to replacing the stats with letters and so I will likely need to find a workaround and just estimate the stats based on the letters.

Seeing this go, and the variety in leagues for their salary allocation systems makes it a bit of a sad time.

I'm not going to bother assisting them with the finer points of things as I have in the past and wont be pointing out issues that have arisen from the changes that need to be ironed out. I have done this previously and know I am responsible for certain stuff being fixed (the fallout from the new draft system they created last year for one where it's function was as diabolical on rollout as a Covid vaccine until I pointed things out and they sorted them).
    If they want to revamp it all and potentially kill the game for some then so be it. All this stuff is possibly too much to have to assist with and fight to have them understand why certain things need to happen for the changes to work well.
    Seems you have to be in the Discord club to have a voice now anyway and I have already felt alienated because of that for a while.
    I didn't care about that, just let me play the game I love but looks like that may end too.

I am just hoping it wont be as bad as it seems and I can live with it all.
    Last edited by benmc; May 31, 2022 at 12:43 AM.

It looks exactly as bad as I anticipated and that's without actually changing anything to any new options.
    How it views now in roster/lineup/free agents/whatever else is horrible.
    I can't see me lasting in CSFBL now.

If you want a vote: mine is to stay away from the draft lottery. I just dont like it. Hopefully these changes help and once we get use to them the game will be better off. Fingers crossed
    For the love of the game.

Yeah I wont be implementing the lottery straight away if at all.
    I have never seen a big issue with tanking in the league and as explained before to Kingrat I feel everyone is allowed to take a few down seasons to build. Every league kind of has this and it's not the worst thing in the world.
    I do it here and there and as long as it isn't prolonged and to the extreme it's fine. You wouldn't even notice that I have done it from my user records for 6th place finishes.
    I think the only thing to do from next season is bring the cap down to $55m/60m as opposed to the $65m/70m we have now.

I do hate the letter grades, I hate the front office being gone, I hate that changing players positions in LM doesn't boost the players now and is just like they are playing out of position. I hate that that the main roster view is stats first and I hate the endurance/fatigue system in lineup whilst seeing no need for the 'overall stat'. Free agency with no potentials...pffft and the amateur draft with letters...No.

I believe that it's now harder to run multiple clubs than it was which is not a good idea for a game with 500 users and hundreds of leagues that the same users need to fill up, and I feel the simple charm of the game is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4485 View Post
    If you want a vote: mine is to stay away from the draft lottery. I just dont like it. Hopefully these changes help and once we get use to them the game will be better off. Fingers crossed

Any thoughts on increasing the salary cap since it’s basically worthless now outside of limiting trades and free agency? Doesn’t matter to me really, but could open up more activity.

I don't think it's a good idea.
    One thing the cap brings is that it keeps everybody's payroll potentially close to each other.
    Looking at the financials page MOST teams are under the new $55m league cap and MANY are a LONG WAY under and have plenty of room for manoeuvre as it is.
    The clubs over $55m are all the ones who were strongest last year. I am still allowing a buffer of $5m and there are three clubs from those that are within the hard cap $60m.
    So it leaves just 4 clubs who have started the season over $60m which is a normal situation for the league to have where there is just a handful at the start who need to come under.
    I am not giving the current strongest teams a chance to be even further ahead of the rest and they will need to be in line with the other clubs. Increasing the cap would only benefit these strongest teams and not be of benefit to the league as a whole.
    AS I say most teams are under league cap NOW and I am allowing a $5m buffer over that.
    There is no need to expand it further and create a bigger gap between the clubs payrolls, with there already a $26m difference between top to bottom.

If the season had flipped and I could see that half the clubs were over the hard cap and many of the others were over the league cap, then Yeah the cap would need to be raised. However as it looks to me with the 55/60 model it seems perfect and in line with the format we had before they ruined the game. My club is a good benchmark - I am typically over the league cap and within the $5m buffer to start the season. This is the case now for this season like it always is which also tells me the 55/60 model is right.

I will still increase the league cap by $5m (to $60m) after the draft as this enables clubs to not be impacted by the incoming draftee's and still have space to make moves.

One thing the cap does is limit stockpiling which is the antidote to not being harsh on any tanking that does occur.
    It's why I never accepted KingRat's thought that the league has a tanking problem (which it doesn't anyway), and a team can only build to a certain level due to the cap, and are unable to go above and beyond the highest level of clubs in terms of payroll.
    $60m is enough since 20/24 are under that amount right as we begin in the new system, and is also achievable for anyone however they wish to get there.

Limiting the signing of free agents etc... for the handful of clubs who don't need them is a big point of the cap and it allows the clubs with space to catch-up to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Jepherson View Post
    Any thoughts on increasing the salary cap since it’s basically worthless now outside of limiting trades and free agency? Doesn’t matter to me really, but could open up more activity.
    Last edited by benmc; June 11, 2022 at 10:56 AM.

I share many of the concerns about CSFBL moving forward. The most pressing problem for me is the salary cap. I have been in a couple of leagues with a $55m cap before and thoroughly disliked it. Every year I was cutting $5-8m worth of salary on a team that was near the bottom. It was pointless to have a top 3 pick because that player would be unaffordable in only a couple of seasons. Can a $55k league work? Of course. All of the teams will be equally bad, so everyone has a shot. There are really only two good things in a low cap league. The first is the abundance of good players in FA. The second would be the discouragement of ridiculous over bidding so common in many leagues. I saw a $2.2m CF signed for $14.3m. WTF?
    I have been a Cubs fan since the mid 60s. And yes, I was fortunate enough to see those teams play including Fergie Jenkins vs Bob Gibson(twice). Why bring this up? Because I could not believe my good fortune in being able to nab this club in FOB. In fact, FOB immediately became my second favorite league, behind only the league in which I started. This club had been successful but was getting old and needed a complete rebuild. So, the long process started. Now, I feel pretty good about the club. So, let''s tear it down.
    One other thing. Where was the vote for changing the cap? Or was this a unilateral thing?
    I really don't know what I will do. I hate the idea of giving up the Cubs. On the other hand, I am too old for the constant frustration that overshadowed my previous $55m experiences
    Dumb loses more than smart wins
    Bobby Knight