Thread: Major CSFBL changes - 6/8 - Please Read

Major CSFBL changes - 6/8 - Please Read

We have a huge CSFBL update happening 6/8.

CK and I talked briefly yesterday about what to do for EBB. We kind of both settled on... lets change some things up....however we both understand the longevity of the league and significant changes to one of the oldest leagues may not be favored. That said, I've copied this from another post I made yesterday for another league I run, TCL, and edited it some for EBB.

We'd like to hear from anyone here with thoughts. Especially the few of the older guys, tarheel, starwalker, gregles, fin, feliz, etc, that are still around. Otherwise he and I will just do what we think is the best for EBB.

-----

IMPORTANT CSFBL CHANGES ARE COMING

This is the largest update we've seen to CSFBL during most of our tenures on the site, going back to some of the 2003ish changes to the current game we've played for a couple decades.

Read these links below.

This is the condensed announcement: https://help.csfbl.com/wiki/77/june-...e-strikes-back

Clone put together a good slideshow which explains some things a little deeper, it's linked from the blog below.

https://blogs.csfbl.com/2022/05/26/major-csfbl-update-on-the-horizon/

and here it is, go to the blog though:

https://tinyurl.com/523s45de

Right off the bat. Scouting is changing. A lot. Front office allocations are gone. Thrown out. Bye. No longer do teams invest in scouting, drills, and development. Players still have internal influence on whether they do develop or not, when they decline, etc. This removes the varying from team to team though.

Scouting also is now the same, for everyone, for every player, no matter logged in, logged out, what page you're viewing, etc. It's a league setting as to the level of accuracy.

Some key changes:

• All actuals will remain as numbers.
    • All potentials will show as letters (A to E scale, no F). Potentials do not change. They are what they are.
    • Younger players are harder to scout.
    • Older players are more accurately scouted. As they age, scouting is more accurate.
    • Some ratings have been added, multiple factors go into making these up and they are weighted different per sim model.
      • Overall - As indicated, a single rating indicating the players overall ability.
      • Offense - For offensive players, there is a single hitting rating.
      • Pitching - For pitchers, there is a single pitching rating.
      • Fielding - For all players, single fielding rating.

From Discord (there is a lot of good discussion there, I'd check it out for more info).
    https://discord.com/channels/8886098...96922500603914

mhardy_03 — Yesterday at 2:32 PM

Here is the scale:
    A: 85-100 (A-: 85-89, A: 90-94, A+ 95-100)
    B: 70-84 (B-: 70-74, B: 75-79, B+ 80-84)
    C: 55-69 (C-: 55-59, C: 60-64, C+ 65-69)
    D: 40-54 (D-: 40-44, D: 45-49, D+ 50-54)
    E: 1-39

-----

League settings we can discuss (I'm just going down a list, not a priority order), just to get everyone's brain going:

1. Sim Model.
    CSFBL Classic - What we have now - this is the default for existing leagues, new leagues will default to the Free Agent Era.
    Free Agent Era - What we have now with a rebalance of ratings (mainly RA is less dominant, some others have more value now, ie CN). Basically, this is how Brian would have written the sim model originally with current knowledge and experiences.
    Dead Ball Era - New one, read the links for description. Model based on that era of the game.

2. Lottery.
    We now have the ability to have the game handle a built in draft lottery. The basic function is:
    • Any team that didn't make the playoffs is entered into the lottery.
    • The top 6 picks are then selected out of the pool of lottery teams. Everything else remains default order.

Pretty straight forward. Do we want to use a lottery or not?

NOTE: Draft order now puts all playoff teams behind teams that didn't make playoffs, regardless of win total.

3. Salary Cap.
    Nothing has changed about the cap itself (variable from 25 to 75M on 5M increments). The thing to think about is with FOA gone, there is a LOT more money now with current cap levels.

In my opinion, this will create a couple things if just completely unchecked. (1) FA offers are gonna be stupid high, now we already have rules about signing 2x, etc salary and having to keep the player. Offers are gonna go up though. (2) Potentially more player hoarding, though we are limited by roster spots still (25/10/20).

4. Scouting.
    The biggie. We have a decision to make. We have two choices. The old can not stay, it is not an option.

• Scouting on = The new scouting model is applied league wide to all players, and all owners.
    • Scouting off = Every player is 100% accurate.

And then the next setting we have to make a decision on. Potential ratings. The old can not stay, it is not an option.
    • Individual Ratings = A players potential ratings per rating (di, cn, po, ra, etc) are displayed.
    • Summary Only = A players potential ratings are only displayed as the summary ratings mentioned in the above section.

-----

Just some other notes I want to pass along/explicitly point out:

A. Position changes are now going to be done via the player card. The LM position change page is gone. Changes take place immediately. Players can only be moved once per season. Players can NEVER be moved to C. They can still play out of position, with the respective penalties, they can NOT be moved to C via the tool though, ever. So plan according.

B. Endurance shows now as x/y where x is current and y is their actual rating. So... 50/75 would mean the player is currently at 50, and has an actual of 75. If that player was 75/75 that would indicate fully rested. Endurance is also ALWAYS fully accurate, for every player, at any point in their career.

C. Salary has been updated. I don't have much to say here. We get what we get.

D. Team creation page has been redone, it's sliders. More intuitive.

E. Other pages have been updated, main one I can think of is the Roster page has all combined now.
    Last edited by makila; May 28, 2022 at 11:34 AM.
    "As you get older, please pass on your knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm for life, love and charity to others when you feel it's appropriate and you are able to. There are always others in more need than us, and that's what life is about." - Anonymous

Re: Major CSFBL changes - 6/8 - Please Read

I guess I would favor tightening up the salary cap and increasing the player pool generally under the new model. I would recommend doing it slowly, though, to figure out what is optimal. I'll reserve judgement on the new fixes, but it seems like a lot of what made the game a game is going to be gone, namely the uncertainty of scouting and the tension between roster construction and FOAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Cats View Post
    I guess I would favor tightening up the salary cap and increasing the player pool generally under the new model. I would recommend doing it slowly, though, to figure out what is optimal. I'll reserve judgement on the new fixes, but it seems like a lot of what made the game a game is going to be gone, namely the uncertainty of scouting and the tension between roster construction and FOAs.
    Disagree.

It sounds to me like, if we keep scouting on, we can have more uncertainty than before, because salaries won't be as good a proxy, and potentials are getting vaguer. That'll reduce the benefit from tanking as much as the lottery. (Let's have a lottery, too, btw)

The front office just meant we kept Dev and Drills maxed and worked with the Salary Cap minus 10 million. That was the same for everybody. If we lower the cap, it'll be a wash.

The only massive, game-changing change would be if we change to the dead ball era, which sounds like fun.

I don't like to do much change, except for the draft lottery. I wouldn't even change the cap to start with, let's see what happens.
    Peace. (Psalm 29:11)

Darrel
    Oklahoma

So the preliminary settings we will be using are:

Scouting: On (not 100% accurate)
    Potentials: Individual Ratings
    Era: Classic (initially, though if others support switching to Free Agent or Deadball, I'm open)
    Draft: I'd like to try the lottery. Open to any feedback though
    Cap: evaluate after changes

WE WILL BRIEFLY PAUSE AFTER THE WS, BEFORE THE FLIP, TO ENSURE SETTINGS GET DONE AND COMMUNICATED.
    "As you get older, please pass on your knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm for life, love and charity to others when you feel it's appropriate and you are able to. There are always others in more need than us, and that's what life is about." - Anonymous

Ok, sims are restarted. We will flip in the next few sims. Settings will be:

Scouting: On (not 100% accurate)
    Potentials: Individual Ratings
    Era: Classic (initially, though if others support switching to Free Agent or Deadball, I'm open)
    Draft: Lottery (lets give it a try, we can go back if we hate)
    Cap: evaluate after flip (we'll move it down if we think it needs to post-flip)

Sounds good to me.