Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Umpire Strikes TCL (formerly Mother of All Short Squeezes for CSFBL)

The Umpire Strikes TCL (formerly Mother of All Short Squeezes for CSFBL)

mak edit, stole lukes post. and lemke's in the 2nd post.
    -----

Setting Decisions / Votes, will keep this updated:

• First, Scouting On or Off - The Classic League will be turning Scouting On (not 100% accurate ratings). This is a commish decision.
    • Sim Model - The Classic League will be staying on the CSFBL Classic sim model. We will re-evaluate in five seasons (2154->2155 off season). Informational vote here.
    • Lottery - Informational vote for commish, Voting Here
    • Salary Cap - Vote One Here - Vote Two Here (tbd) - The Classic League will be dropping our cap (baring unforeseen changes) for the 2150->2151 off season. The amount will be determined after we flip to the new salary algorithm after 2149->2150 flip. Second Thread Here (Reduced to 55M for 2151 season)
    • Potentials Summary Only or Ratings - The Classic League will be setting Potentials on for all ratings. Voted Here

Scouting Update Thread: https://forums.csfbl.com/showthread.php/309162

Jar Position Change Thread: https://forums.csfbl.com/showthread.php/308553
    -----

IMPORTANT CSFBL CHANGES ARE COMING

This is the largest update we've seen to CSFBL during most of our tenures on the site, going back to some of the 2003ish changes to the current game we've played for a couple decades.

Read these links below.

This is the condensed announcement: https://help.csfbl.com/wiki/77/june-...e-strikes-back

Clone put together a good slideshow which explains some things a little deeper, it's linked from the blog below.

https://blogs.csfbl.com/2022/05/26/major-csfbl-update-on-the-horizon/

and here it is, go to the blog though:

https://tinyurl.com/523s45de

We have a couple things we need to talk about here. I am sure what I am outlining isn't everything, so please bring something up if you are unsure, overlooked, etc. This is a lot...for everyone.

-----

First..... I want to make sure everyone understands what is changing in the game itself, first and foremost. We then need to deal with what we are going to do in The Classic League next. So, again, please go read those links above. Then come here and go.... what the **** are these idiots doing with all these changes? Yell, cuss, congratulate, whatever. Most importantly, ask questions. Lets all get on the same page.

If this means we end up having to pause sims to make sure everyone here fully gets their heads wrapped around the changes, we will pause the sims, my priority is making sure everyone has time to digest and understand things.

-----

Right off the bat. Scouting is changing. A lot. Front office allocations are gone. Thrown out. Bye. No longer do teams invest in scouting, drills, and development. Players still have internal influence on whether they do develop or not, when they decline, etc. This removes the varying from team to team though.

Scouting also is now the same, for everyone, for every player, no matter logged in, logged out, what page you're viewing, etc. It's a league setting as to the level of accuracy. The wall of numbers is gone.

Some key changes:

• All actuals will remain as numbers.
    • All potentials will show as letters (A to E scale, no F). Potentials do not change. They are what they are.
    • Younger players are harder to scout.
    • Older players are more accurately scouted. As they age, scouting is more accurate.
    • Some ratings have been added, multiple factors go into making these up and they are weighted different per sim model.
      • Overall - As indicated, a single rating indicating the players overall ability.
      • Offense - For offensive players, there is a single hitting rating.
      • Pitching - For pitchers, there is a single pitching rating.
      • Fielding - For all players, single fielding rating.

From Discord (there is a lot of good discussion there, I'd check it out for more info).
    https://discord.com/channels/8886098...96922500603914

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy_03 — Yesterday at 2:32 PM

Here is the scale:
    A: 85-100 (A-: 85-89, A: 90-94, A+ 95-100)
    B: 70-84 (B-: 70-74, B: 75-79, B+ 80-84)
    C: 55-69 (C-: 55-59, C: 60-64, C+ 65-69)
    D: 40-54 (D-: 40-44, D: 45-49, D+ 50-54)
    E: 1-39

-----

League settings we need to discuss (I'm just going down a list, not a priority order), just to get everyone's brain going:

1. Sim Model.
    CSFBL Classic - What we have now
    Free Agent Era - What we have now with a rebalance of ratings (mainly RA is less dominant, some others have more value now, ie CN). Basically, this is how Brian would have written the sim model originally with current knowledge and experiences.
    Dead Ball Era - New one, read the links for description. Model based on that era of the game.

My initial thoughts: stay on Classic model until we have a chance to see what the Free Agent Era model looks like after some seasons simmed elsewhere. I think this is something we definitely need to discuss though. I'm intrigued by the new sim models. Just not sure if we want TCL to switch or not? Right away or wait? etc.

2. Lottery.
    We now have the ability to have the game handle a built in draft lottery. The basic function is:
    Any team that didn't make the playoffs is entered into the lottery.
    The top 6 picks are then selected out of the pool of lottery teams. Everything else remains default order.

Stolen from a post Clone made, I'm lazy and using it:

Quote Originally Posted by citizenclone View Post
    Here is a link to the newly adopted MLB draft lottery, odds taken from there for the 16 non-playoff teams. The first six picks will be chosen by the lottery out of those sixteen teams, and then the default draft order will be used for the rest of the draft.

Worst record: 16.5%
    Second-worst record: 16.5%
    Third-worst record: 16.5%
    Fourth: 13.25%
    Fifth: 10%
    Sixth: 7.5%
    Seventh: 5.5%
    Eighth: 3.9%
    Ninth: 2.7%
    10th: 1.8%
    11th: 1.4%
    12th: 1.1%
    13th: 0.90%
    14th: 0.76%
    15th: 0.62%
    16th: 0.48%
    Pretty straight forward. Do we want to use a lottery or not? If we do, it likely means we have to rethink our penalties. Maybe they still make sense, as they are "earned" which could be based on season finish still, and not lottery results. I haven't thought through this much yet. Maybe overthinking on my part.

NOTE: Draft order now puts all playoff teams behind teams that didn't make playoffs, regardless of win total.

3. Salary Cap.
    Nothing has changed about the cap itself (variable from 25 to 75M on 5M increments). The thing to think about is with FOA gone, there is a LOT more money now with current cap levels.

In my opinion, this will create a couple things if just completely unchecked. (1) FA offers are gonna be stupid high, now we already have rules about signing 2x, etc salary and having to keep the player. Offers are gonna go up though. (2) Potentially more player hoarding, though we are limited by roster spots still (25/10/20).

This is something we should think about though.

4. Scouting.
    The biggie. We have a decision to make. We have two choices.
    • Scouting on = The new scouting model is applied league wide to all players, and all owners.
    • Scouting off = Every player is 100% accurate.

And then the next setting we have to make a decision on. Potential ratings.
    • Individual Ratings = A players potential ratings per rating (di, cn, po, ra, etc) are displayed.
    • Summary Only = A players potential ratings are only displayed as the summary ratings mentioned in the above section.

Initial thought is Individual Ratings for potentials, and scouting on. That's just my personal initial thought. Lets talk through this one. It's the biggest thing we need to figure out.

Individual Ratings Example:

Summary Only Example:

-----

Just some other notes I want to pass along/explicitly point out:

A. Position changes are now going to be done via the player card. The LM position change page is gone. Changes take place immediately. Players can only be moved once per season. Players can NEVER be moved to C. They can still play out of position, with the respective penalties, they can NOT be moved to C via the tool though, ever. So plan according.

Position Change Example:

B. Endurance shows now as x/y where x is current and y is their actual rating. So... 50/75 would mean the player is currently at 50, and has an actual of 75. If that player was 75/75 that would indicate fully rested. Endurance is also ALWAYS fully accurate, for every player, at any point in their career.

C. Salary has been updated. I don't have much to say here. We get what we get. We may want to see this and come back and evaluate #3?

D. Team creation page has been redone, it's sliders. More intuitive.

E. Other pages have been updated, main one I can think of is the Roster page has all combined now.

-----
    Go read the slideshow Clone made. Come back here and ask questions.
    Last edited by makila; November 2, 2022 at 10:59 PM.
    【=◈︿◈=】Aquí llegó tu tiburón (◕,,,◕)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace

2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 8,035-6,518 (.552) ~ 8 WS
    2018: 6,226-5,522 (.530) ~ 7 WS
    2019: 3 WS
    2020: 4 WS
    2021: 3 WS

TCLVista Cruisers(2101-)2109, 2125, 2129, 2142, 2143
    HMNitty Gritty(1982-) 
    NPHoppers(1989-)1989
    8sAngels(2104-) 
    ShDnPadres(2094-) 
    AAABees(2135-) 
    DLPallet Town(2027-) 
    GOAT-1997, 1998
    ALTRTA-2098, 2099, 2100, 2101
    LEG-2045, 2046, 2047, 2051, 2054
    CarL-2022, 2027, 2031, 2032
    Dodgers-1953, 1955, 1966
    WBC-1925, 1928, 1930, 1937, 1949, 1955, 1965, 1966
    TML-1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1984
    Sweet-1886, 1888, 1891, 1892, 1897, 1898, 1900
    ThrowB-2018, 2053, 2054, 2056
    TDD-2106, 2107
    EP-2003,2013
    AA-2100
    HR-1968
    CBF-2132
    TP-1983
    BD-2038
    Blitz-1998
    AAA-2101

Re: Big changes!! Its like m.o.a.s.s. but for csfbl!!!!!

Crazy, still processing it, but the league will have to decide on some things.

mak edit: i stole lemke's post too. can't put more images in post apparently.

Draft List with Individual (potential) Ratings on:

Draft list with Summary (potential) Ratings on:

Last edited by makila; May 27, 2022 at 01:20 PM.
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

Looks like an April fools announcement.

I can tell you it isn't. Heh.

We will formally discuss as a group here. Was waiting for announcement to be made. Have a long day, will capture thoughts this evening at the earliest.

Feel free to start putting thoughts down.

My initial thought is we keep as close to original as possible with this leagues history. We have the sim engine change, which I'd like to experience before we made any adjustment on it.

We have the scouting decision to make. On or off basically.
    "As you get older, please pass on your knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm for life, love and charity to others when you feel it's appropriate and you are able to. There are always others in more need than us, and that's what life is about." - Anonymous

It's daring to make such major changes that essentially makes it a different game. Remains to be seen if it alienates any longtime casual users, while it will surely attract new users if they are into this type of non-app based game.

Pigge articulates a thought about the changes that I have as well.

It is a major culture shock on the game side and will have some trickle down effects to the social side of the game.

For TCL, which is an old league full of old owners, this shift will be a much bigger deal.

I agree with mak on most of this: keep as much original as possible to the current league setup, wait and see how new features work elsewhere.

There was a time when I would think we should try to stay on the edge of the advancement of the game, but I am torn between pushing our collective full fledged into progress, or to keep us as the shining example of what used to be.
    I love it when you hate me.... in fake baseball games... not in real life... what are you my mother?

Simple Rules:

1. Winning the world series in a half unowned league is not worthy of your time.

2. If you are trading an elite item like a no1 overall pick or an elite player, then don't take the first offer you get. Advertise your availability to the league to maximize your return. Your trade partner is not going to protect you from underselling yourself.

3. Quoted from a thread about Monopoly gameplay: "This strategy will end up killing you in the long run. You WANT to make deals. You WANT to be easy to do business with. If players get the impression that you're always going to ask for unreasonable demands, they'll trade with other players, leaving you out of those trades, meaning you get nothing of value while they benefit. Remember, your goal in a trade should not be to screw your trading partner, but to screw anyone who isn't your trading partner. Then people will catch on and realize that if they're not going to give you fair rates, they're going to be left out in the cold, which means that you shouldn't be dealing with people who play that way either."

4. Win how you want to win in this game. A lot of us try to define what is the best way or the worst way. Take the easy road and take the easy wins. Then, later, when you realize how boring that can be, find the hard ways to win. Then, show others.

Quote Originally Posted by makila View Post
    I can tell you it isn't. Heh.

We will formally discuss as a group here. Was waiting for announcement to be made. Have a long day, will capture thoughts this evening at the earliest.

Feel free to start putting thoughts down.

My initial thought is we keep as close to original as possible with this leagues history. We have the sim engine change, which I'd like to experience before we made any adjustment on it.

We have the scouting decision to make. On or off basically.
    I welcome the new code overlords and their updates!

I also welcome the conversation of changing the 'era' as a tip of the cap to the history of the league that was, with the 'old code', that's a bigger part of this league and it's honor to players and the owners imo

my vote would be for the 'Free Agent Era'

my vote would be for the draft lottery

my vote would be for the scouted ratings without potentials 'on'

interested in what the others have to chime in on and what they want for the league

I agree with all of your votes Ray. Very excited about the changes
    【=◈︿◈=】Aquí llegó tu tiburón (◕,,,◕)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace

2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 8,035-6,518 (.552) ~ 8 WS
    2018: 6,226-5,522 (.530) ~ 7 WS
    2019: 3 WS
    2020: 4 WS
    2021: 3 WS

TCLVista Cruisers(2101-)2109, 2125, 2129, 2142, 2143
    HMNitty Gritty(1982-) 
    NPHoppers(1989-)1989
    8sAngels(2104-) 
    ShDnPadres(2094-) 
    AAABees(2135-) 
    DLPallet Town(2027-) 
    GOAT-1997, 1998
    ALTRTA-2098, 2099, 2100, 2101
    LEG-2045, 2046, 2047, 2051, 2054
    CarL-2022, 2027, 2031, 2032
    Dodgers-1953, 1955, 1966
    WBC-1925, 1928, 1930, 1937, 1949, 1955, 1965, 1966
    TML-1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1984
    Sweet-1886, 1888, 1891, 1892, 1897, 1898, 1900
    ThrowB-2018, 2053, 2054, 2056
    TDD-2106, 2107
    EP-2003,2013
    AA-2100
    HR-1968
    CBF-2132
    TP-1983
    BD-2038
    Blitz-1998
    AAA-2101

We are the old guard. I’d vote in favor of most continuity. But I’d also give my vote to mak

I am also in favor of continuity. I generally like draft lotteries though.

Free agent era is closer to original than what we currently have, right? Back to defense being 7% of the game, however that was calculated. So that seems like a nice route to restore continuity.

Should we change the salary cap when FOA is removed from the game? And do we stop the pre-season scrub creation? There's still use for those old guys, but perhaps not enough to warrant the extra work for our beloved commishes.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast