Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't blink, it goes fast...almost 20 years in...almost

Don't blink, it goes fast...almost 20 years in...almost

Approaching 19 years completed of CSFBL (one team continuous the entire time). Found the game in mid to late 2003 via another online game I started playing in the late 90s. My wife was pregnant with our daughter. She was born in early 2004. This week she graduates High School. Turned 18 this year as well. My memory has always been pretty linear… started playing CSFBL… then kid born. As I’ve gotten further from that time they are almost synonymous. Couple of you have met her throughout the years. Many of you have met my wife. You guys all supported us in many different ways throughout the years as unexpected challenges have come our way. I am confident that I am not alone in making that statement here.

So yes, as the two events are connected in my memories, there has been lots of…ummm… self-reflection and "where has the time gone" thinking lately. No, I haven't bought a red corvette. That's next year. Ha. I've got too many expenses right now. Graduation / senior year is ****ing expensive! Heads up those of you behind me in the kid timeline. I'll chalk this post up as my mid-life crisis. : P

How many baseball teams can we field now? Pretty sure it’s a lot.

Joined TCL prior to the 1998 season, after watching an overly confident new guy show up on the site under the screen name citizenclone, and start recruiting for a new league called The Classic League, which I was convinced wasn't going to last. I recall thinking, who does this newb think he is? He went on to become a close friend. Took over the commish duties in tcl when clone stepped away, along with Crocko at the time. Pimp showed up and started helping, then Jar. Took a little break in the 50's. Returned in the mid 60s, and have been here since.

Those currently in TCL, in alphabetical order:

Balmers - I don't recall which league we first met in. LEG? You have become someone I greatly enjoy interacting with. Whether it's CSFBL, college sports, or enlightening me to new music I wouldn't ever give a chance. Thank you. Within CSFBL your google sheets quietly spread to help many others with things such as the drafts, front office info, etc. Best college football pool I've participated in. Everyone should join it. *nudge* clone *nudge*

Boicey - Man, you are one of the easiest people to openly talk with I've ever met. Anywhere. Anything. Anytime. You have constantly checked on me/my family throughout the years regardless if you were active here or not. It means the world to me. I'm glad your boys are growing up to be good people like their parents.

Gbears - Haven't gotten a chance to know you better, I appreciate what you've shared here since joining the league, and opening up a bit in the What's Jacking Up Your Life thread. Makes things more personal, for better or worse, ha. I'm always gonna take up for my west coast / pac NW brethren. : ) I hope life has been treating you well sir.

Goot - Someone who has been around here a long time. One of the OGs in TCL. You're old is what I am saying. Haha. Thank you for the music suggestions throughout the years. Thank you for being a great league mate, part of the "small is the best" club, and someone who is consistent in your logic and thought process. You have always treated every league member the exact same.

Humie - You've been a great addition to the league. I am very glad to have you part of it. From your knowledge of the game, to your presence within the forums and our little sub community. I know it isn't easy to jump in here feet first, you definitely did that, and did it well. Thank you for giving the league a chance.

Jar - You get it. I love your humor. Your outlook on life is amazing. I am glad to have shared the time together that we have, including our families. Thank you for always being an ear when needed. Thank you for your fun loving nature and ability to not take everything seriously. Finally, thank you for helping lift TCL. You and your wife are raising an incredible bunch of kids.

Jelly - To this day, I vividly remember getting gas at the TA travel stop in Amarillo off I40 when Zubaz decided to try and boot you from TCL. Hi Zubaz. I almost threw my phone out onto I40 in frustration of being in the car driving to CA as it was all blowing up. Glad we failed. You've become a good friend away from CSFBL. Thank you for allowing me to pick your brain over the years on everything from personal to professional life.

Jpax - You've forced me to rethink player evaluation at times, thank you. You march to your own beat which I appreciate. Have a lot of respect for everything you balance in your life. It isn't easy. You don't appear to let it bleed through, which I am sure it isn't easy.

Koller - Mr always happy. How do you do it? No seriously, how do you do it? People completely underestimate you as an owner. You deserve more credit than you get. You are consistently good to everyone here. I enjoyed getting to know you better during the Vegas trip. Thank you for making the effort to travel there and visit.

Lemke - Another of the few OGs left. Great critical thinker. Respect the hell out of you. Love that you aren't afraid to speak your mind when you think it's needed. You are fair and equal with everyone in the league, and always have been. Thanks for the grief over the years, it was almost always deserved! We out number the Packers fans now! : ) (you can’t go become a dolphins or bucs fan, jags I’d just feel sorry for you)

Luke - I have never seen anyone come into this league with so much knowledge of our history. It was impressive then, and I am still impressed by it now. You have been an awesome addition to the site, and this league. Glad you are still here with us. Thank you for always having a big idea. It's a great balance to those of us who tunnel vision on small details. Eventually you'll get your music taste fixed for the better. : P

Moden - Our worldly traveler. Connector of bridges. I think this guy has met more csfblers in person than anyone else. At least... the most meetups. Super easy going, and enjoyable to talk to. I hope your family is doing well with resettling back in the states. I know that was a shock to the system. Thank you, most of all, for providing us with some outstanding stories. Try not to get kidnapped in your future. : )

Pigge - Mr. Snark. Mr. Sweden. I use spotify to this day from a recommendation that came from you a very long time ago. The 2070s with Myers and Keller, the constant battling in division, and in the DCS match ups we had are incredibly memorable for me and one of my favorite eras in TCL. Thank you for being part of it. Your streaks and feats back in the day were incredibly fun!

Pimp - You've listened to me as much as anyone the last 15 years. Always have been able to count on you. You hold us accountable. You call us out when we do something wrong/stupid. Thank you for being an upstanding person, beyond anything CSFBL related you are a great person. I am fortunate to have crossed paths with you.

Ray - You bring a different perspective to the table. Even when it frustrates me, or I don't fully understand, that is a good thing. It is needed. Thank you. Keep doing it. It's the only way we find common ground(s).

Reds - Oh reds. Reds reds reds. Thank you for keeping the lights on in the past for csfbl. I know you've had a turbulent last few years. Thank you for opening up and talking to some of us about different things. I think it helps and I've noticed a positive difference. I truly hope you feel that there have been good steps made. From afar, it appears you are. Kudos my friend.

Rent - I do not know if there has been anyone in TCL that has added more content than you. That's hard for me to say, as I like to think I did in the past, selfishly. Haha. I admire your time invested creating content for us to debate, cuss, discuss. It is truly amazing. You wouldn't do it if you didn't give a **** about this place. FWIW, the story you told when you came back, of when you were here during your younger days, and your parents reaction, I find hilarious. Congratulations on starting your family.

Slinger - You are an incredibly nice & patient individual. I don't think I've ever seen you angry within the CSFBL world, always even tempered. I have always enjoyed playing in leagues with you. No drama, no ********, just a great owner and even more important, a great person. Unlike the ****** horrible fake players you've employed on your team that stole records. Yes, stole. No, I don't have proof. I'll find it one day. Cheater.

Smittias - The most genuine person you're gonna come across. You have done so much for the csfbl community, and I'd wager to say you are one of, if not the most respected person here. Not because you are good at the game, which you are. Not because you are a constant presence, which you are. It's because you treat everyone with respect, kindness, and equally. Thank you for making this place better.

Tander - I think you and I first crossed paths in LEG too? Maybe? You've been a tough division mate in Small. When questions/disagreements have arisen you have been understanding. Enjoy having you make up part of the best TCL division, thank you! : )

Trempk - The most unsuspecting owner in TCL. Great great owner when engaged. Thank you for trying to push through the years when you have been disinterested. TCL is better with you being part of it. Maybe someday you'll let us know more of you. I'm not holding my breath though. : P

Tyrus - Wish we'd see more of you here in TCL. The bit I've gotten to know you, I enjoy your opinions and takes. I know the forums suck and frustrate you. Hopefully we improve that in the future. Keep it up on the personal change goals I know you're working on!!

Zubaz - Man.... thank you. I could ramble here for a long time, I won't though. I often think back to the conversations we had a decade plus ago. Some I can remember, others are foggier memories. You helped motivate me so much in my personal life, I will never be able to properly express. Glad we are both in different places now. You've made a positive, lasting, impression on all the members of my family.

Those not currently in TCL, in no order:

Clone - The ringleader who started this sub community within csfbl. I don't know if I ever told you this... you, and a few others here, had a direct impact on pushing me to return to college and finish my degree. Thank you. There is a lot I could say here, I'll leave it at...I look up to you, and how you ran TCL. Tried to guide this league how I think you would have wanted it. You are a great leader. Thank you for being a sounding board for me when I’ve needed it.

Joke - Our elder statesman. The costumes. The games. The inability to finish what you start. I appreciate all the conversations on subjects we didn't see eye to eye on over the years. You always treated me with respect even when we vehemently disagreed on things. go have some werthers my friend. You, your wife, and family, are incredibly kind.

Crocko - My OKC metro buddy. Yet we've never met face to face. You were instrumental in the early days of this league, building a foundation of content and adding in things that were fun and created discussion.

Afro - Tech support! Hahahaha. Makes me happy you are back around the site and playing again.

Hank - I am so glad you are back on the site too! Very happy to be in a division with you in LEG. Looking forward to it like the old Long days.

BengalHockey - I lost my inside info on the Vikings. ; ) I know you're back lurking around. Hope the family has been well man.

Spam - You are a strong person. Anytime you want to come back to TCL you will be welcomed with open arms.

Gaddeus - Dude, I'm not gonna go into your personal life on the forums (too much)...amazing changes you've made. Truly inspirational. I hope that it has benefited you. You, and cubs (next), and I go back to Earth Baseball before TCL. I'll edit any thesis you ever need. : )

Cubsfella - I love that you made the effort to drive and visit with us during the Vegas trip, thank you for traveling to have dinner with us! You, and gaddeus, remind me fondly of an era of this game that was incredibly active, over the top, and is the time frame we all became closer.

Koz - Tilt bro. I remember when the Thunder drafted Harden. Talking to you about him... you said something along the lines of.... dude is gonna be good. Trust me. Yeah, you got that one right I think. Wait, boicey, any opinions? : )

Ken - Not gonna lie... I hope Aaron Rodgers falls on his face this year. I tell myself that Davante left because he wanted to play with a better QB. Then I wake up. Zubaz is alone in his packer fandom now. I've still got lemke on the good guy side. Take that you cheeseheads.

Bill - Your due is gonna happen. We when have real finances... you get credit for it.

Joe - You are back too! yay! Selfishly I like having as many of the good guys around to deal with the LA "fans" that exist. : )

Hawkeye - I still get drink recs from you via fb! Wait, why doesn't Slinger provide me these too?

Wolfe - DoD. Still fondly think back to the 2020s and the matchups that occurred within Long. Don't expect you to see this. Hope life has been well to you in recent years.

Ash - Is the cat still on the watchtower? How are the cows doing?

Soldats - The man, the myth, the inspiration for the greatest CSFBL gif of all time.

Tron - Dad?

The lurkers:

G Sparks - I have learned more certain nuances/aspects of music from you than anyone else I've ever crossed paths with. Thank you for always being willing to call out ******** when you see ********. Thank you for helping so many new owners across CSFBL. This is a trait that not many people have, or the willingness to do. It is greatly appreciated and you are respected for it.

Vashon - I am so happy you've dipped your toe back into csfbl. You did so much thankless work in the past. Thank you for everything. The period when you and smittias were pushing hard was awesome. I hope we are entering one of those same eras and it gets pushed further. No matter what luke says, we know what NorCal really is. Someone teach him some geography. And SoCal sucks.

Anathema - Know you aren't around much anymore. You exposed me to things I would have never entertained before musically. You argued with me when most would have just let it go haha. I enjoyed the in-depth conversations back in the day, thank you. I still hold out hope that you'll show back up here one day.

Benny - Glad you still visit the forums! I enjoyed playing against you in leagues such as Baseball Legends (yeah that’s right, bet not many know the league), Earth Baseball, etc.

-----

TL/DR: You all suck. I don't like you. Leave me alone. Ok, that's a lie.
    Huge your kids, they grow up really fast. Blink and they're adults.
    "As you get older, please pass on your knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm for life, love and charity to others when you feel it's appropriate and you are able to. There are always others in more need than us, and that's what life is about." - Anonymous

Re: Don't blink, it goes fast...almost 20 years in...almost

Sniffles

I think I speak for all when I say

Well said. Time does fly.
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

Also, I cant move my fandom away from the MN teams, after all the heartbreak it would be just like them to win after I move on. They owe me something-and I will not let them off the hook.

Also it feels too bandwagon to jump on the Bucs, Lightening, Rays train. I can respect and be jealous from a distance.
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

Not everyone needs to like BMTH to have good taste :P nostalgic genxer
    【=◈︿◈=】Aquí llegó tu tiburón (◕,,,◕)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace

2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 8,035-6,518 (.552) ~ 8 WS
    2018: 6,226-5,522 (.530) ~ 7 WS
    2019: 3 WS
    2020: 4 WS
    2021: 3 WS

TCLVista Cruisers(2101-)2109, 2125, 2129, 2142, 2143
    HMNitty Gritty(1982-) 
    NPHoppers(1989-)1989
    8sAngels(2104-) 
    ShDnPadres(2094-) 
    AAABees(2135-) 
    DLPallet Town(2027-) 
    GOAT-1997, 1998
    ALTRTA-2098, 2099, 2100, 2101
    LEG-2045, 2046, 2047, 2051, 2054
    CarL-2022, 2027, 2031, 2032
    Dodgers-1953, 1955, 1966
    WBC-1925, 1928, 1930, 1937, 1949, 1955, 1965, 1966
    TML-1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1984
    Sweet-1886, 1888, 1891, 1892, 1897, 1898, 1900
    ThrowB-2018, 2053, 2054, 2056
    TDD-2106, 2107
    EP-2003,2013
    AA-2100
    HR-1968
    CBF-2132
    TP-1983
    BD-2038
    Blitz-1998
    AAA-2101

It must be dusty in this room or else... no, no, that has to be it.

Appreciate the college pool plug too

This is far and away the nicest thread I have read in the last 5 min.

Seriously though, Mak, I feel a lot of what you are sharing here, and know that I consider you one of my best examples of “leading a life well led.” I appreciate you very much!

Good times. It's nice that those things stick, and not both of us almost quitting the game for being cranky with each other for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    It must be dusty in this room or else... no, no, that has to be it.

Appreciate the college pool plug too
    I’m in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast