Thread: 2013 Brockmire Rule 5 draft

2013 Brockmire Rule 5 draft

First claims will be processed on league date 4/9 this season (expected to be at 9 PM on 5/13/2022 US Eastern time).

Rule 5 selections - Any team can select a player who is at least 26 years old and who currently is on another team's AAA or LM roster. These claims may be made between league dates 4/9 & 5/2 of the current season by offering its own current season draft pick between pick numbers 31-54 (inclusive). A team making a claim can not be taken over the salary cap by a claim. You may name one or more players to drop contingently upon signing the Rule 5 player to keep the claiming team under the cap.

Players must have at least one year of experience by the end of the season they are selected, or they will be returned to their original team in the next preseason without receiving compensation for the pick used to acquire the player. The idea is to select players who would be useful on Active rosters but who otherwise would sit in another team's minor league system.

Newly added FA's & Traded players - when a player is received in a trade, added via free agency, or acquired via Rule 5, he is immune to a Rule 5 claim for 24 hours / 8 sim days. (This gives the manager time to move the player to his Active roster.) If a player is received and remains in AAA or LM beyond this time period, he may be subject to a Rule 5 claim and be lost to another team.

How to submit a Rule 5 claim - A claiming team must submit the claim by PM to myself and to the owner of the player's current team. In the PM you must send a link to the player being claimed, and list the compensatory pick that is being sent in exchange for the player. Claims will be on a 1st come basis, except those received prior to 4/9 of the current season. (Claims received prior to 4/9 will not be processed until that league date, or as soon as practicable thereafter.) If multiple claims are received prior to the 4/9 start date for the same player, the highest pick offered will determine which claim will be processed. Claims received prior to 4/9 will be invalidated if the player is not eligible for selection at that date (such as if he is moved to the Active roster before 4/9).

I will reassign eligible claimed players to their new teams after checking cap space, generally within 24 hours of the time a proper claim is made. I will then leave a note in this thread to let everyone know who has recently been acquired, and for use at the end of the season in checking whether the player is to be returned to his original team.

Note that, once a valid claim is made by PM on or after 4/9, that player may not be moved to the original owning team's Active roster prior to my processing the claim to be retained by the original owner. The player immediately becomes a member of the claiming team. Claims made prior to 4/9 are not protected in this way until 4/9.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Note in particular about unowned teams: Players on unowned teams are ineligible from being claimed until the team has been owned for at least 24 hours. At the time that this draft starts, no teams are unowned.

Re: 2013 Brockmire Rule 5 draft

Washington claims C Edward Johnson from Florida, offering pick #50 in exchange. Johnson has 1+ years of experience and will not be subject to return at the end of the season.

Johnson has been reassigned to Washington, and Florida has received pick #50.

Florida claims P Bobbie Dallas from Newark, offering the newly acquired pick #50 in exchange. Dallas is a rookie, so will need to be checked at the end of the season for possible return.

Dallas has been reassigned to Florida, and Newark has received pick #50.

These claims may be made between league dates 4/9 & 5/2 of the current season by offering its own current season draft pick between pick numbers 31-54 (inclusive).

Sorry I think I misread this. I can choose the pick I offer, correct? It can be any pick in the 31-54 range?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJalaPena View Post
    These claims may be made between league dates 4/9 & 5/2 of the current season by offering its own current season draft pick between pick numbers 31-54 (inclusive).

Sorry I think I misread this. I can choose the pick I offer, correct? It can be any pick in the 31-54 range?
    Correct... any pick that you have in that range can be swapped for any age 26+ player in another team's AAA and LM system. The claim process states that you specify in your claim which pick you are giving up.

Edit: I guess I should add that there are some qualifications on the player being selected... sometimes there is a 24 hour rule involved on a newly acquired player, and the team acquiring the player can't go over the cap, for two examples. See the original post in this thread for the details.
    Last edited by DaveW; May 14, 2022 at 08:34 AM.

Toronto claims CF Derek Mendez from Newark, offering pick #40 in exchange. Mendez is a rookie, so will need to be checked at the end of the season for possible return.

Mendez has been reassigned to Toronto, and Newark has received pick #40.

Newark claims P Dennis Nickerson from Toronto, offering pick #50 in exchange. Nickerson is a rookie, so will need to be checked at the end of the season for possible return.

Nickerson has been reassigned to Newark, and Toronto has received pick #50.

Anaheim claims SS Edward Bowers from Milwaukee, offering pick #43 in exchange. Bowers is a rookie, so will need to be checked at the end of the season for possible return.

Bowers has been reassigned to Anaheim, and Milwaukee has received pick #43.

Once again I was preoccupied at 5/2... but note that the Rule 5 draft for this season has concluded. Five players were selected this season, four of whom will need to be checked for experience at the start of next season for possible return to their original teams.
    Last edited by DaveW; Yesterday at 08:28 PM.