Thread: Fav Memories of the League

Fav Memories of the League

..It was the 2003 Atlantic Coors season playoffs, my New York Yankees(89-71) were facing off against the Kannapolis Intimidators(102-58), and we were suddenly down 3 games to none. The team somehow rallied, and we actually won our first World Series title, 4 games to 3. It was the Yankees first playoff appearance, having finished no higher than 3rd place in the previous 22 seasons. That Yankees team would go on to win a 2nd WS title in 2007.

Good memories of a good league and good team.... joebaseball
    Last edited by joebaseball; May 3, 2022 at 01:06 PM.

Re: Fav Memories of the League

That's a great way to win your first title. That reminded me of a least favorite memory for me, in 2013 we were up 3-0 on those same Intimidators in the LCS and lost 4 straight. Three years prior, in 2010, we (Albany) won 113 games in the regular season and got destroyed in the first round in 4 straight games by Toy Cannon (Columbia).

This was my favorite league for many, many years. My favorite memory might be the epic battle between 4 pitchers for most career wins. Roger Spates set the pace with 367 career wins early in ACL's history, then the chase was on with my Daniel Hill and Greensboro's David Garza, who were drafted one year apart and had memorable personal duels in both the regular season and playoffs. Hill wound up just sneaking past Spates with 368 wins and Garza ended with 362. But Garza took all the personal hardware from Hill, winning 8 CY Young awards to Hill's none (most of time he was 2nd to Garza). But Hill probably got the last laugh, winning 6 World Series rings. A few years later Charleston's Arthur Johnson came along, ended up finishing tied with Hill at #1 with 368 wins of his own, and would probably be the consensus choice as the greatest pitcher in ACL history.

There was a thread a couple of years ago throwing out names of some of the all-time greats in ACL: https://forums.csfbl.com/showthread....7544-ACL-GOATs

I always really enjoyed this league, as well as one of its predecessors, the South Atlantic League. I am said to see it go, as the Grasshoppers brought me a lot of great memories. Trying to keep pace in the Hank Aaron division that was loaded with great teams and great managers every year really made me better as a CSFBL player. And the unbelievable string of pitchers I lucked into, like the aforementioned Garza as well as Michael Brandt, Todd McCarty, Roberto Lorenzo, Garrett Lucero, Carl O'Leary... it was a great time to be a Grasshopper on the mound.

Probably my favorite ACL memory is coming over when SAL folded and winning the very first ACL World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by DIMariner View Post
    Probably my favorite ACL memory is coming over when SAL folded and winning the very first ACL World Series.
    This prompted me to spend some time looking at some threads in the old SAL forum. That was a great league. I had more battles in the LCS with doaf than I can count, and of course doaf won the vast majority of those.

Quote Originally Posted by orangecat13748 View Post
    I had more battles in the LCS with doaf than I can count, and of course doaf won the vast majority of those.
    ...haha, that sounds so familiar! doaf always did the same to me in the DieHards!