Thread: 2156 Season Discussion

2156 Season Discussion

I find myself in a catch-22 at the start of this year. I need to cut salary in order to get scouting to see who isn't worth keeping because of their salary.

Ended up slashing as best I could with 1 point of scouting, age, salary, stats, and future roles in mind. Seoul finally has enough cap space in order to get the front office allocations to finally see what exact direction we need to take in the near future.

I have a feeling though that last season is probably our ceiling.

Re: 2156 Season Discussion

Sounds like a good message to send your fans after making the playoffs on a tie-breaker and now having the lowest Active roster salary in the league. Having room to pick up the best FA is a nice position to be in though.

Meanwhile, Den Haag is looking a lot like the .500 team it has been for a while. When the coin flips go our way and the division is weak that can be 90 wins and a championship (2150), but I suspect that the division has grown stronger so I'll need a lot of luck.

We've now signed just about any player in FA with 0 EXP who even might look like they could be a contributor at half a scout point. Most of these guys are probably gone as soon as we hire new scouts, but maybe one in the bunch might pan out.

But yeah, once we get to 4/1 we're in a good position to build out the bullpen and plug in any holes in the lineup.

After allocations locked, we ended up further slashing payroll down to below $39 million and began placing bids on FA. After the first round of signings, the team should be interesting this year.

Free agents now dwarf home grown players in the normal lineup, and honestly it doesn't look like too bad of a starting 9. No elite defense, but solid defense just about everywhere. Not much slugging outside of Jerry Cote, but good DI and BA up and down the order. Our #2, #4, #5, #7, and #8 hitters are all just signed FA, and our #6 was a FA signed last year. Just 3 Seoul produced players remain.

And after a few more days, Seoul has finally filled out all but one position in our bullpen.

A big issue last year was the lack of any top end pitching on the team. We had starters, but it was mostly 4 guys capable of posting ERAs in the 3.50-4.00 range--solid, but trouble when trying to shut down top offenses.

Because we still have these guys and a decent smattering of free agents in the pen, I've decided to try a different strategy this year. We're going with a 4-man rotation with a relatively high fatigue pull threshold for the starters to prevent ratings loss in game due to fatigue. There should be much more reliance on the bullpen this year than my teams typically see.

The team ERA in the 9 games since the switch in settings is at 2.79. I can't imagine that keeps up, but early returns are promising.

We just wrapped up our inter-conference schedule, and so far we sit at 55-52 tied for 2nd with Kuala Lumpur, which seems familiar. Fifth place is only a couple games back though, so it's still a 4 team race for the wildcard in Asia.

The Survivors are currently 13th in offense and 15th in pitching with a 4.30 team ERA. On the whole, it's a pretty decent showing given the number of free agents we are currently rostering.

Just wish the draft had gone better for us this year. There wasn't much left by #21, so I took a chance on Jason Martinez. He scouted as above average across most offensive ratings with a couple mis-scouts. Was hoping just one of DI/BA/SL would take a jump, but no such luck. 2B Adam Coyle with 80 RA for $50k was acceptable at #45. Neither though is changing the fortunes of the franchise.

Just played a crazy game against Dhaka that finished 26-10. This one featured a 15 run bottom of the 5th that saw 4 trips to the mound by the manager to find someone to stop the bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardtube View Post
    Just played a crazy game against Dhaka that finished 26-10. This one featured a 15 run bottom of the 5th that saw 4 trips to the mound by the manager to find someone to stop the bleeding.
    Only 20 hits and 2 homeruns to get those 26 runs. That kind of bleeding must be awful for the manager.