Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FA & minimum win rule.

Re: FA & minimum win rule.

I thought the lm benefit ended after age 24? I think a 23 year age cap would hurt people more than help. If we are going to implement an age limit Id suggest no players under 25.

I don't think placing an age limit on LM or AAA solves the problem. As I wrote below, I'll use AAA as a place to store mediocre players who are getting tryouts vs MLB players, just as actual MLB/AAA teams are used. For example, I may have two decent outfielders but I'm switching between multiple age 30 guys until someone steps up. Or I'll sign a $1M 33 year old just to see if he performs any better, and meanwhile the incumbent is sent to AAA.

In my case, I'm not stashing high value players in AAA, or holding down high value players in LM who should be in MLB (and starting) for most teams. I forget which of the two franchises is which, but one is obviously holding back very good players in LM, to the point that he'd have a playoff team if he'd simply call them all up and quit collecting top draft picks. The other player is playing guys who are well below replacement level in order to lose on purpose.

I still don't know how best to prevent this, with a 1 and 3 year mininum win rule likely being the best. I've volunteered to track this each season and inform the commish, with a warning to players who are in danger of missing the 3 year requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    I thought the lm benefit ended after age 24? I think a 23 year age cap would hurt people more than help. If we are going to implement an age limit Id suggest no players under 25.
    You do get a +1 bonus from 23 to 25, but you get the same bonus in AAA.

At this point, there doesn't seem like there is much interest in make any changes so we will roll with the status quo.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345