Thread: 1992 Draft Review

1992 Draft Review

Again, I'll try not to pat myself on the back too much as this was another good draft for me. The overall draft quality was definitely a lot less than 91, though, so this won't be quite as fun to run through.

BEST VALUE PICK - Francisco Jackson - #12 - Pittsburgh - There weren't many All-Stars to be had out of this draft, but Pittsburgh got a 5-timer so far out of the 12 slot. Jackson has given a bunch of .800+ OPS and good power from the catcher spot for Pittsburgh. There were a lot of picks in front of #12 that didn't turn out this well.

BEST OVERALL PLAYER - Sidney Smith - #1 - Indy - Smith is probably the only player who is trending toward a lock HOFer from this draft. He was an obvious top-2 pick, but Gary Johnson, who Florida took at 2 was a weirdly high salary player for his ratings and was in the running for #1. Smith moved from 3B to 1B due to Helms, and he is now a 5x AS, 7x GG, and 4x SS award winner. This was more of a don't mess it up pick than anything.

BEST PITCHER - Tony Schrader - #4 - Baltimore - Florida pretty much had to take Johnson, and he's had a solid career, but Schrader ended up as the best arm. His career numbers would probably look better if Baltimore gave him run support, but he should age well as a CO/SY guy who already has put up ERAs in the high 2s-low 3s most of his career.

BEST LATE 1ST PICK - Marcelo Ferriera - #17 - Brooklyn - McPherson at 20 for Milwaukee is the other candidate, but Ferriera has become a solid rotation pitcher for Florida after a rough start. It was another good value pick for Brooklyn that they never fully got to reap the benefits of (though I'm sure they gained someone good in a trade).

BEST 2ND ROUND PICK - James Smalls - #25 - Indy - There really aren't many to pick from in Rd 2 from this draft, but Smalls has played much more like a 1st rounder. He hasn't been an All-Star because of Robertson sharing the position with him, but Smalls has 299 HRs after 8 seasons and has drove in 100+ 6 times.

WORST PICK - John Smith - #9 - Boston - Even though it wasn't a great draft, most picks had some value. Smith at #9 definitely was not one of those. It appears to have been an auto, and that had to hurt for Boston at #9 to get this little. Smith has hung around, but he's only played in 46 games and has never even warranted starting. His .204 avg and .584 OPS say why.

OVERALL ALL-STAR BIDS - 19 bids by 9 players. There are also 7 GG winners, so there was pretty good D to be had.
    PLAYERS WITH MULTIPLE ALL-STARS - 4

OVERALL DRAFT QUALITY - C-minus - It wasn't a terrible draft as there are contributors all over, but there aren't many players with the ability to change the direction of a franchise. There also wasn't a lot of round 2 depth.
    Current Leagues
    Brockmire - Indianapolis Hoosiers- 1991
    KBL - Rocky Mountain Bombers- 2041
    NLT - Birmingham Black Barons- 2038 (2042 WS Champs)

Former Member of Justice, EBB, JC, TAB, Remake, LEG, TDD, and several others

Re: 1992 Draft Review

For Indy, this was another draft with '91 that helped set me up for success. Smith has been a cornerstone player at #1, and Smalls was the power bat I was really missing that took the middle of my order to a different level. I didn't have a 3rd, so I must have Rule 5'd. Overall, I took the best player available on the board for each pick I had, and they've both been major contributors. I have to go with an A+ here for Indy as I don't know what could have happened differently that would have made it better.
    Current Leagues
    Brockmire - Indianapolis Hoosiers- 1991
    KBL - Rocky Mountain Bombers- 2041
    NLT - Birmingham Black Barons- 2038 (2042 WS Champs)

Former Member of Justice, EBB, JC, TAB, Remake, LEG, TDD, and several others

Re: 1992 Draft Review

Detroit didn't set the world on fire, but can't complain too much with our #14 position. We got 1B Derrick Langley, who while not a powerhouse, has been a pretty solid bat as well as a good guy in the field committing only one error his entire career (his rookie season). Our 2nd round pick is starter Kenneth Frederickson. Frederickson was another quality 2nd round pick posting a career 3.95 ERA in 190 starts.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-0
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:4-0
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:2-0
    Historical Replay-Det Tigers 1964-

Past
    Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0