'85 Season

A new season is upon us
    Brockmire- Philadelphia Stars
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Re: '85 Season

Philly is very excited to see what the mostly completed puzzle will look like this season. We've done our best with the limited pitching that has been available and unable to swing a deal for a top of the rotation starter. The addition of extra RA in left and center you would think would only improve a pitching staff that ranked top 5 in ERA, SHO, QS, SO/BB. But fully expecting things like sophomore slumps, down seasons, and other unexpected hurdles that may sidetrack an improvement from this season's 91 wins.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Just wondering if this deal is straight up?

4/20/2085 Steve Smith (P) Traded from Toms River Shorebirds to Wheat State Wildcats
    4/20/2085 Shawn Reed (RF) Traded from Wheat State Wildcats to Toms River Shorebirds

I didnt see any future draft picks tagged in the thread
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1018 View Post
    Just wondering if this deal is straight up?

4/20/2085 Steve Smith (P) Traded from Toms River Shorebirds to Wheat State Wildcats
    4/20/2085 Shawn Reed (RF) Traded from Wheat State Wildcats to Toms River Shorebirds

I didnt see any future draft picks tagged in the thread
    Correct, no future picks involved
    XB TriStars (2049-) Div: 17, Conf: 8, WS: 1
    2ML Colonels (1963-) Div: 10, Conf: 5, WS: 4
    BD Wildcats (2048-) Div: 15, Conf: 11, WS: 6
    CarL Carousers (2031-) Div: 14, Conf: 10, WS: 6
    TDD Kaws (2103-) Div: 8, Conf: 6, WS: 3
    Brockmire Monarchs (1981-) Div: 6, Conf: 3, WS: 2
    TCL Tramcars (2122-)
    KBL Smokers (2042-) Div: 2, Conf: 2, WS: 2
    LoL Brewers (2113-)
    Past teams in WS: 10-20

In a disappointing start to the new season with a lot of hope Philly pulls off a deal to get a much needed top of the rotation starter in Doyle Henshaw. The hope is that the former 20 game winner will return to form behind a much better INF defense. In his 1st start he throws a 1 hit CG for a 2-1 victory.

A big chip dealt for the starter, Scott Guzman is going to be a huge slugger for years to come but getting a front line guy was too good to pass up. Outside of Carmona there isnt another pure slugger like Guzman but collectively this team should hit enough HRs and now play a bit better defense.

Lets see if this gets the team turned around.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

In a disappointing start to the new season with a lot of hope Philly pulls off a deal to get a much needed top of the rotation starter in Doyle Henshaw. The hope is that the former 20 game winner will return to form behind a much better INF defense. In his 1st start he throws a 1 hit CG for a 2-1 victory.

A big chip dealt for the starter, Scott Guzman is going to be a huge slugger for years to come but getting a front line guy was too good to pass up. Outside of Carmona there isnt another pure slugger like Guzman but collectively this team should hit enough HRs and now play a bit better defense.

Lets see if this gets the team turned around.
    It was really scary to let a talent like Guzman go and even though Henshaw was untouchable in his first handful of games. The lineup scuffled and it was hard to watch the alternative Steven Conner scuffle for the first few games after the trade but boy has he kicked it into gear. He hit a HR in his first game he played then went dry for 12. He's now hit 8 in the last 8 games played.

Henshaw got rocked his last outing but pretty excited to have a nice 1-2 punch.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Terrance Gunter won his 200th game of his career throwing a complete game allowing 2 ER. I traded for him knowing that I needed some innings down the stretch if I had any chance of getting into the postseason. At 32 years of age, he still has some years of solid productivity before he retires. We will see how many wins he can get to.

The rest of the Tillamook Archers are on a downward trajectory after their WS appearance last year.

One pitcher that is really letting me down is 26 yr old Michael Fuller. After 2 seasons of solid production, including a sub 4.00 ERA last season, Fuller has had a terrible third season with a 5.21 ERA and 1.70 WHIP. This can be attributed to his defense being a little weaker this year, but I definitely expected better especially since a few of my starters are aging out.

2.5 games back with 45 games to go. Definitely can make that up but my division is scary.
    Anguilla Gigantos, Caribbean League of CSFBL(2065-)
    Cypress Cyanide, For The Love of The Game (2045-)
    Tashkent Humo, Nu Upsilon Xi (1989-) '89
    Waverly Vikings, Beta Nu Zeta (1993-) '95
    Aurora Huskies, Zeta Zeta Epsilon (1993-)
    Denver Zephyrs, Triple Crown Baseball (2029-)
    Tillamook Archers, Baseball Dynasty (2083-) '83 '84

Playoff Appearances in italics, World Series Championships in bold

Quote Originally Posted by combolock View Post
    Terrance Gunter won his 200th game of his career throwing a complete game allowing 2 ER. I traded for him knowing that I needed some innings down the stretch if I had any chance of getting into the postseason. At 32 years of age, he still has some years of solid productivity before he retires. We will see how many wins he can get to.

The rest of the Tillamook Archers are on a downward trajectory after their WS appearance last year.

One pitcher that is really letting me down is 26 yr old Michael Fuller. After 2 seasons of solid production, including a sub 4.00 ERA last season, Fuller has had a terrible third season with a 5.21 ERA and 1.70 WHIP. This can be attributed to his defense being a little weaker this year, but I definitely expected better especially since a few of my starters are aging out.

2.5 games back with 45 games to go. Definitely can make that up but my division is scary.
    Got Gunter for almost nothing too, two marginal position players. Gunter and Priest were draft picks of mine. Priest is riding the bench in ANT and Oakley looks like a marginal DH against lefties type. Gunter isnt the same as he was in his 20's but still a good grab for a team with some middle INF.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

We'll see is I pulled the trigger too early, grabbing Henshaw and Sydnor is great to go along with Ganz but my offense isnt where it needs to be, its crushing me to see Guzman destroying the ball in Alabama but I couldnt send future picks/prospects to seal the deal for Henshaw. Sydnor cost my draft next season and a pitching prospect. I got veteran hitter Jackson in the deal but he's proving me wrong that he still had something in the tank after getting limited work the past 2 seasons.

The biggest problem with this offense is there are atleast 3 players that I think are better hitters than they are showing in their first season or two in the bigs. if they all start coming together this season great otherwise I think I still have 3-4 years before the pitching declines.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Got Gunter for almost nothing too, two marginal position players. Gunter and Priest were draft picks of mine. Priest is riding the bench in ANT and Oakley looks like a marginal DH against lefties type. Gunter isnt the same as he was in his 20's but still a good grab for a team with some middle INF.
    I was going to stick him in RF if I was going to keep him as I have a hole but with a very weak pitching core I had to make a move. I have an outfielder starting currently batting .180 so I definitely could have used him. I do think Gunter under a great defense is a great pitcher. Without defense though, he is vastly inferior.
    Anguilla Gigantos, Caribbean League of CSFBL(2065-)
    Cypress Cyanide, For The Love of The Game (2045-)
    Tashkent Humo, Nu Upsilon Xi (1989-) '89
    Waverly Vikings, Beta Nu Zeta (1993-) '95
    Aurora Huskies, Zeta Zeta Epsilon (1993-)
    Denver Zephyrs, Triple Crown Baseball (2029-)
    Tillamook Archers, Baseball Dynasty (2083-) '83 '84

Playoff Appearances in italics, World Series Championships in bold