Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shall we introduce new rules?

Quote Originally Posted by yes man View Post
    Interesting to see Keith West so upset about Bay City's dominance. Anyone remember this trade? The #1 overall pick for a bad pitcher (1.42 WHIP), a bad RF (.670 OPS) and the #23 pick. This is what I'm talking about when I say there's a huge skill gap in this league. A year later Keith trades the #1 pick again, for a bad pitcher, a mediocre 1B, and a good but not elite LF (who was also 29!). In fact, Peoria Phoenix have traded away most (if not all) of their picks over the last several season, and what do they have to show for it? A .435 record. Keith is not the only user in the league making spewy trades like this, just the example I'm going to use because he seems so adamant about changing the rules to handicap certain teams. If you don't want them winning so much, don't give them trades like this!

This is what I meant in the Issues forum post when I said I probably wouldn't stick around here. This league is a race to take advantage of the owners who are willing to trade premium picks/prospects for mediocre old guys. As long as we have some really good owners (Stumblebee in particular, but also BigFrog, Rycky, and others) and some really bad owners (Keith West, and others who I don't want to call out by name), this will continue to be a problem.

I hope this hasn't come off as too much of a personal attack, but come on -- this is a strategy game. Keith West has traded his queen for a pawn, and is now saying we should ban queens because they are too strong. To me that is not what a "level playing field" means.
    Is this where we consider private and trades have to accepted by the four commishs which has been listed here previously?
    Upper Tier:
    Blunts Border Jumpers WS 1994, 1995.
    California Dreaming WS 2033

WTC memorial:
    Canberra ATC Brumbies WS 2004

stint in frontofficebaseball, galactic baseball league, nfl blitz, wtc memorial

Re: Shall we introduce new rules?

I really hate to see how this is all going, I think its just dredged up alot of drama (as respectful as possible) without much purpose

Most leagues in CSFBL are dying out and we've remained strong, active and full despite that. That tells us we're doing something right with how we are set up. I'd strongly recommend we drop these convos for now and continue being the same great league of active owners we've always been, especially as we continue to bring in great active additions like yes man, alec, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stumblebee View Post
    I really hate to see how this is all going, I think its just dredged up alot of drama (as respectful as possible) without much purpose

Most leagues in CSFBL are dying out and we've remained strong, active and full despite that. That tells us we're doing something right with how we are set up. I'd strongly recommend we drop these convos for now and continue being the same great league of active owners we've always been, especially as we continue to bring in great active additions like yes man, alec, etc.
    You just want us to stop so you don't have to work harder for those 1st round picks.
    Upper Tier:
    Blunts Border Jumpers WS 1994, 1995.
    California Dreaming WS 2033

WTC memorial:
    Canberra ATC Brumbies WS 2004

stint in frontofficebaseball, galactic baseball league, nfl blitz, wtc memorial

Re: Shall we introduce new rules?

I don't see a reason to change rules to stop one owner (or a few, look, I've had stretches in other leagues that I've had dominate teams and people react the same way about being over the cap, blah blah). Are some of the trade a little questionable? I admit I wonder if some of the owners he gets these picks from might be pawns, but at the same time some of the players he gives up are pretty good players.. He is dealing players with value for high picks so he can keep the cycle going and he has found teams to make those trades with (one way or the other, I don't know if its truly on the up and up or not).

I see no reason to screw with the league rules though. Everyone plays by them. I have a LOT of teams so I don't pay enough attention to each on as I wish I could, but if I had the time I'd be doing the same thing Bay City is doing. Meaning, finding teams that are willing to trade high end picks for players with value for said draft capital. Again, if he has pawns in place to do this at least the trades aren't complete crap for the other team, but if the trades are above board then what can we truly do?

I will admit, while I've put together a decent team with the resources I've had to put into it this is a league I may be dumping soon due to the fact that I have too many teams (again). One reason is that bit of doubt about what Bay City is doing as some of the trades could be argued that they really didn't make sense for the other team at the time. That doesn't mean Bay City did something wrong, it could simply mean that he was very persuasive in trade talks or "took advangate" of a new player. For instance, the pending trade out there now. Yes, the pitcher is pretty darn good but he wouldn't fare near as well on a rebuilding team and is over 30. Would I take the deal? No, I'd keep the #4 pick because one pitcher won't drastically help a 9-23 team. But some players just don't like to bother with the draft and want good players now, no matter their age. I once found a guy like that and took advantage for quite a few seasons.

But as an owner who actually left a league because said league changed the rules mainly because I was maintaining an extended level of success, I'm against any changes. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123