Thread: Bring them up or let them cook another year in Low Minors?

Bring them up or let them cook another year in Low Minors?

So, I have two players I keep going back and forth about. The first is my best prospect and last year's #1 overall pick, Randell Schmitt. His ratings (PO/FI/CO/SY/EN) with maxed scouting are:

Actuals--: 67 80 74 86 56
    Potentials: 69 93 74 97 64

In his single flip this last offseason he gained: 5 PO, 7 FI, 6 CO, 7 SY and 4 EN.

This is not a competing year for me so he's not strictly needed, but he's also 23 so he's not losing that big of a bonus, and given his flip it feels like he should reach his potentials even if I bring him up? Still, 13 FI is a pretty big chunk of missing rating, and I definitely don't want him to miss his potentials.

The second player is Robert Gullett. He'd automatically be my starting 2B, but he has a way to go for DI. His ratings (DI/CN/BA/SL/RA/GL/AR) are:

Actuals--: 65 55 54 84 / 76 94 78
    Potentials: 94 55 56 85 / 76 94 78

He's basically done developing except for his DI, which obviously is massively underdeveloped. He's had big flips but his DI has so far to go, do I keep him down until he's 27 or 28? I guess I'm leaning towards letting him get that last year of +2 bonus at 22. But then the question remains: How long do I leave him down? I don't want to bring him up when he's nearly 30.
    Last edited by FlyingSquirrel; December 24, 2020 at 08:07 PM.

Re: Bring them up or let them cook another year in Low Minors?

League average defensive 2B. Move him to 3B where becomes about 90 RA, 100 GL, 78 AR. Thats a gold glover. Find a real 2B.
    I'm not sure you ever see that DI max out, but you gotta try.

You don't really compete until you complete the 85/90+ RA middle infield. So, no worries keeping guys down. The pitcher gets 1 more year, then he's ready.

Just my 2 cents.
    Founder & Former Commissioner [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    AA ReMake Commissioner (2124-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 2-1 (2122-23)
    Omaha Storm Chasers [AAA ReMake] (2123-Present)

I'd likely leave both down this year. The biggest factor to me is the fact you don't expect to compete. I usually like players to be well developed before I bring them up. The exception being: If I think my team can compete for a playoff spot and the prospect will improve my team (without significantly hurting his development).

#1 - I certainly don't think he's a risk for missing his potentials. Bringing him up now might slow it down a little, but he'll still reach it. Sounds like a guy I'd bring up next season, though.

#2 - Sounds like he might have trouble reaching that DI potential regardless of how long you leave him down (or at least will hit it very late). However, I'd still give him a little more time to maximize what you can get developmentally from the minors. He'll likely have his best offensive years in his 30's so it's more a question of when his defense will make a difference for your team's competitiveness.

Agree with everything above. Though, I'm a bit more optimistic on Gullett making his DI. Sometimes, the DI ramps up a little more as he hits his mid 20s. I'd say 50-50.
    I see you took my advice and moved him to 3B. Leave him down until he is a 3B AND you are ready to compete.

Curious... I think I've nailed down the formula for this type of position change.
    I believe his new potentials (according to the tool) should be 89-100-78. Can you verify this?
    Founder & Former Commissioner [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    AA ReMake Commissioner (2124-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 2-1 (2122-23)
    Omaha Storm Chasers [AAA ReMake] (2123-Present)

I agree with position changing the 2b in LM. His DI is far enough away that you might as well grow RA at a higher cf or 3b level while that DI grows.

on the pitcher, I am a little different. if a players actuals are productive now, i tend to bring them up regardless of my competitive window. Even if you bring him out early and less than maxed, he is not going to produce at prime age levels (so likely wont affect your win total significantly). Also, if you are still building, its likely you have the payroll situation to take the hit and still max FOA. If maxing FOA is a concern, you could always take the pitcher and use him as a closer and send him down to AAA if he gets near 30ip (the threshold to gain a year of experience). I like to get superstars counting stats going early.
    -Parce que j'ai le jeu, mes chiennes.
    -Translation; 'cause I got game *****es!

Join the Remake Leagues! No Experience Necessary.

Simple Rules:

1. Stop recruiting new owners for your half dead crappy leagues. Your efforts would be better used looking for a stable league with owners who actually care about their teams. Winning the world series in a half unowned league is not worthy of your time.

2. If you are trading an elite item like a no1 overall pick or a superstud player, then dont take the first offer you get. Advertise your availability to the league to maximize your return. Your trade partner is not going to protect you from underselling yourself.

3. Quoted from a thread about Monopoly gameplay: "This strategy will end up killing you in the long run. You WANT to make deals. You WANT to be easy to do business with. If players get the impression that you're always going to ask for unreasonable demands, they'll trade with other players, leaving you out of those trades, meaning you get nothing of value while they benefit. Remember, your goal in a trade should not be to screw your trading partner, but to screw anyone who isn't your trading partner. Then people will catch on and realize that if they're not going to give you fair rates, they're going to be left out in the cold, which means that you shouldn't be dealing with people who play that way either."