Thread: Washington Senators 1964

Washington Senators 1964

This will be the first season that I go into it expecting to improve. I expected to be about even last year but, surprisingly, ended up improving by 13 games to 80-80 (despite a -29 run differential). I don’t know how many more games we’ll win, but we’ll score a lot more runs and should have a better (and hopefully positive) run differential.

We’ll be calling up Frank Howard, Ken “Hawk” Harrelson, Paul Casanova, and D!ck Green.

https://www.csfbl.com/player/4978660/view
    https://www.csfbl.com/player/4971794/view
    https://www.csfbl.com/player/4900653/view
    https://www.csfbl.com/player/4907678/view

The first three will be providing a lot of home runs and walks, and stolen bases. Green is developing very slowly and isn’t really ready but he’s 24 so no reason to keep him down. I’m going to try him at third against righties only.

Still probably not enough to compete for a playoff spot (pitching is still pretty bad). But might get us out of the cellar. Unfortunately that’s going to hurt our draft position. But I don’t feel like I can’t justify keeping these guys in the minors.

Cheers,
    Wayne
    Leagues
    Beer League: Shiner Bocks
    GOAT:
    Ranger Danger
    Historical Replay:
    Washington Senators/Texas Rangers
    Lawn Chair: Tiki Torches
    MLB ReMake:
    Boston Red Sox
    MLB Str8 8s:
    Cleveland Indians
    MONEYBALL:
    Star City Cosmonauts
    Negro League Tribute: Newark Eagles
    Pacific Coast League: Arkansas Travelers
    Peter Gammons Memorial: Monty Burns' Ringers
    Spring Training: West Plano Nutria

Despite the high cost of living, it remains quite popular.

Re: Washington Senators 1964

I can trade you some pitching. I'm calling up five (5) (!) pitchers this year, so I have plenty I can trade.
    2ML 1906, 1928, 1931, 1968, 1990, 1991, 1995
    BD 1993,1994, 2004, 2041, 2044, 2064, 2065, 2080
    CBF 2056, 2060, 2071, 2075, 2087, 2088, 2092, 2105,2106,2116,2137,2138,2140
    CWS 1953, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1976, 1984
    HR 1903, 1906, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1934, 1943, 1950, 1953, 1955
    CarL 2026, 2039
    Brockmire 1995
    77-57 WS

I’m starting the season with an offensive lineup, and ignoring the strong(ish) defense I’ve used the previous seasons. Gone are 3B Foster Castleman and his 88 RA and his .643 career OPS. In his place I have 1B Jay Porter, with. .763 OPS, and about a 53 RA. Likewise, LF Vic Davallillo and his 85 RA and .588 OPS are gone, replaced with Frank Howard, who should be about a 56RA but .900ish OPS.

One exception is I’ve decided to play 2B D!ck Green, my 2nd pick in the expansion draft, in CF for a while. He’s 24 and just hasn’t developed enough yet. He’s not as good at 2B as Gene Alley, and I have a 3B in the minors that is probably ahead of him as well, leaving his options very limited. As a lefty hitter, he’ll platoon in CF this year until he gets to 81 games and then he’ll sit. He and CF Jim Ray Hart are both developing slowly. Maybe one of them will be be the long term CF, but I’m beginning to think that guy isn’t on my roster yet. I also have CF Don Lock who is a slightly better hitter than Hart currently but his 45 RA is limiting (as is Hart’s 45, but with a potential of 58).

A number of the young hitters aren’t fully developed, but won’t benefit much by staying down, so they’ll be ok this year but should be better in a year or two.

I’ll be adding a lot of HRs to my offense. My defense won’t be as good though, so I have a feeling we may not win many more games this year. My pitchers will probably look a lot worse this year.

Knowing that my offense will be stronger, I signed veteran 33 year old pitcher Johnny Podres. He’ll be my #1, at least for a year or two. We might get out of the cellar this year, if our hitting can overcome the lack of pitching and defense. At the least, it should be more fun to attend a Senators game this season.

Ready to start this thing.

Cheers,
    Wayne
    Last edited by wfn71; December 28, 2020 at 02:41 PM.
    Leagues
    GOAT:
    Ranger Danger
    Historical Replay:
    MLB ReMake:
    Boston Red Sox
    MLB Str8 8s:
    Cleveland Indians
    MONEYBALL:
    Star City Cosmonauts

Quote Originally Posted by wfn71 View Post
    I’m starting the season with an offensive lineup, and ignoring the strong(ish) defense I’ve used the previous seasons. Gone are 3B Foster Castleman and his 88 RA and his .643 career OPS. In his place I have 1B Jay Porter, with. .763 OPS, and about a 53 RA. Likewise, LF Vic Davallillo and his 85 RA and .588 OPS are gone, replaced with Frank Howard, who should be about a 56RA but .900ish OPS.

One exception is I’ve decided to play 2B D!ck Green, my 2nd pick in the expansion draft, in CF for a while. He’s 24 and just hasn’t developed enough yet. He’s not as good at 2B as Gene Alley, and I have a 3B in the minors that is probably ahead of him as well, leaving his options very limited. As a lefty hitter, he’ll platoon in CF this year until he gets to 81 games and then he’ll sit. He and CF Jim Ray Hart are both developing slowly. Maybe one of them will be be the long term CF, but I’m beginning to think that guy isn’t on my roster yet. I also have CF Don Lock who is a slightly better hitter than Hart currently but his 45 RA is limiting (as is Hart’s 45, but with a potential of 58).

A number of the young hitters aren’t fully developed, but won’t benefit much by staying down, so they’ll be ok this year but should be better in a year or two.

I’ll be adding a lot of HRs to my offense. My defense won’t be as good though, so I have a feeling we may not win many more games this year. My pitchers will probably look a lot worse this year.

Knowing that my offense will be stronger, I signed veteran 33 year old pitcher Johnny Podres. He’ll be my #1, at least for a year or two. We might get out of the cellar this year, if our hitting can overcome the lack of pitching and defense. At the least, it should be more fun to attend a Senators game this season.

Ready to start this thing.

Cheers,
    Wayne
    The Senators will be an exciting team to watch. I'm glad that the Washington fans will continue to have a winner going forward, unfortunately you're going to be a winner in the AL East, haha.
    =(:.) The Lew Abides =(.

If by “winning” you mean getting to 81 or 82 wins this year, and maybe overtaking the ownerless Yankees, then maybe (if the Yankees were owned and set their best lineup it’s a different story’. But if “winning”means contending for a playoff spot, no. We aren’t there. Not nearly enough pitching, and/or not enough up and down the lineup to compensate for it.

Unfortunately, winning 81 or 82 doesn’t help us get to the 95 or more wins we need to have a shot at the playoffs in this division; quite the opposite. But players are ready to call up and I’m not going to sit them so we’ll just have to see what happens.
    Last edited by wfn71; December 28, 2020 at 11:34 PM.
    Leagues
    GOAT:
    Ranger Danger
    Historical Replay:
    MLB ReMake:
    Boston Red Sox
    MLB Str8 8s:
    Cleveland Indians
    MONEYBALL:
    Star City Cosmonauts

By "winning" I mean managing a team well, and inevitably becoming a contender.
    =(:.) The Lew Abides =(.

I can go along with that.
    Leagues
    GOAT:
    Ranger Danger
    Historical Replay:
    MLB ReMake:
    Boston Red Sox
    MLB Str8 8s:
    Cleveland Indians
    MONEYBALL:
    Star City Cosmonauts

After trading Hawk Harrelson to move up in the draft, our chances of moving out of the cellar dimminished. On top of that, the Yankees have an owner and have optimized their lineup, so that hurts our chances even further.

Somehow, we are over .500 and have a +44 Run differential. If this continues, it will be our first winning season (80-80 last year) and our first positive run differential (we were -7 in 1961, believe it or not). But we're still in 5th place in a divsion that is having a very strong season, and 14 games from a playoff spot. We're still clearly outmatched.

At this point, sadly, it would probably be better to go on a long losing streak and get a top 5 pick in next years draft. Not sure I can convince my players of that though...

Cheers,
    Wayne
    Last edited by wfn71; January 8, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Leagues
    GOAT:
    Ranger Danger
    Historical Replay:
    MLB ReMake:
    Boston Red Sox
    MLB Str8 8s:
    Cleveland Indians
    MONEYBALL:
    Star City Cosmonauts

As of this moment, we're on pace for 87 wins. And we're currently in 5th (last) place, 15 games behind the wild card spot. Wow. If the division competition continues like this, it's going to be a long, long time before we can compete.

Cheers,
    Wayne
    Leagues
    GOAT:
    Ranger Danger
    Historical Replay:
    MLB ReMake:
    Boston Red Sox
    MLB Str8 8s:
    Cleveland Indians
    MONEYBALL:
    Star City Cosmonauts