Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 1997 Season Discussion

Re: 1997 Season Discussion

Ugh the sim gods always hate 110+ win teams. Congrats Bob.
    "The other team could make trouble for us if they beat us" - Yogi Berra

CWS:USC Trojans - 3 for 5 WS winners
    WBC: Czech Republic Nároďak - 1 for 4 WS winners, back to back to back promotions (3x), 0 relegations in 5 cycles
    GOAT 4: Twin Peaks Tatas
    EP: Terramuggus Terracotta Terrapins

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    Serengeti Wildebeests (MONEYBALL)
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Quote Originally Posted by AndreltonSimmons View Post
    Ugh the sim gods always hate 110+ win teams. Congrats Bob.
    thanks, Ive gotta ask, what happened in game 5? Stovey gets pulled with 5 1/3 up 4-3 with 45+% fatigue? You gave toast way up or were you trying to preserve him in case of a game 7? Either way I think it was a series breaker.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire League- Philadelphia Stars
    ALTRTA- Roxborugh Rampage

Philly did some resting going into the playoffs so Kevin Mello was inserted to the lineup for the final series of the regular season vs. Brooklyn. in 3 games he was 3-11 with 2 solo HRs.

For games 1 & 2 of the playoffs vs. Brooklyn youngster Larry Green Jr was back in the lineup and went 0-8 with 3 Ks, series tied at 1.

Game 3 was the 14-11 shootout, Mello hit a solo HR in the 3rd to knot the game at 6.

Game 4 Mello hit the GW walkoff solo HR

Game 5 Mello hit a 6th inning Solo HR that chased Stovey, maybe a piviol point.

Game 6 Mello went 0-4 but the rest of the team hit 5 bombs

Game 1 of the LCS Mello hit a 6th inning HR which turned out to be the GW run in a 6-5 win vs. Toronto

you cant say Mello is red hot but 6 HRs in his last 8 games aint bad
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1018 View Post
    Montreal lands pick number 1 in '98
    2.Seattle
    3.Milwaukee
    4-5. Chicago/Baltimore
    Milwaukee did not overachieve this season.....and you are welcome for Mello, he always was pretty good at timing his bombs.

Current Teams
    Flatland Stick- Diamond Legends (1981-) WS 1988-89,92,2003-04,08
    Istanbul Runnin' Camels- Blue Chip Baseball (1993-) WS 1995,99
    Hebron Green Giants EP (1993-) WS 2003
    Estes Park Mountain Elk The Dirty Dozens (2101-) WS 01,02,04-05,16
    Milwaukee Cream Citys Brockmire League (1981-) WS 91.92,95
    San Francisco Giants MLB Remake (2115-)
    Past Teams
    Circassia Horsemen GOAT 4 (2011-20) WS 18
    Sochi Circassian Warriors Cooperstown Prospects (1995-2007) WS 95

congrats ATL on their win. It was a disappointing end to our season with the 7-game loss for the 2nd year in a row. It was an absolute battle of a series. Every game was close to the end. Game 7 got a little out of hand, but even that was close until near the end.
    Current Leagues
    Brockmire - Indianapolis Hoosiers- 1991
    KBL - Rocky Mountain Bombers- 2041
    NLT - Birmingham Black Barons- 2038 (2042 WS Champs)

Former Member of Justice, EBB, JC, TAB, Remake, LEG, TDD, and several others

Florida's road to recovery is at an end. This season we made several significant changes, and wound up with a third place finish behind two very strong teams.

We traded pick #29 to Buffalo in the preseason for SS Steven Smith. They had a better, younger SS to bring up this season, so we thought we could deal. The 29 year old played all but two games for the Flyers, but was somewhat disappointing in the field with a .976 fielding pct and 6.54 RA. We expect that he will bounce back into his old form next season.

We also had the luxury of investing in the future by trading a surplus OF bat, RF Jonathan Allen, to Brooklyn. We are glad to see that he became a solid part of the Bridegroom's run for the pennant. In return for Allen, Florida received 24 year old rookie 3B Robert Leary (likely to play a back-up corner IF role as early as next season), and pick #38 overall in this year's draft. With that pick, we selected 18 year old future SP Mike Burke, who will not hit the bigs for at least four or five seasons, but in whom we have high hopes.

At the start of the season, we signed free agent, 27 year old pitcher Donald Flores, who played very well with the talented San Diego team the last couple of seasons. He went 4-5 in nine starts toward the beginning of the season, but played better as a reliever this season, which is how San Diego used him. He ended up with a respectable 3.77 ERA for the year. His six quality starts suggest that he could spot start next season, or even join the rotation if needed, but he likely will sit in the set-up role. We will see how things pan out. He is another player for whom we have hopes for a somewhat better year next season.

In May, we found that we had a dilemma. We had an $8 million starter who we felt was underperforming. We knew that Gary Johnson was a gamble when we selected him #2 overall in 1992, and tried to ride out his development... but his not meeting our expectations quickly enough, and burden on our finances led us to trade him. He was sent to Denver, where he immediately began performing the way we felt he could... and we're glad for his success there. In return for Johnson, we received pick #24 in next year's draft, plus two picthers: 33 year old southpaw Matt Rikard, and 23 year old P Marcelo Ferreira. Rikard was given his chance but was pulled after seven appearances in which he gave up 17 earned runs in 13-1/3 innings... including two starts for a total of eight IP between them. Like Rikard, Ferreira was tested as a potential starter. He went 2-2, giving up 11 ER in 20 innings pitched. Seeing that he was better as a reliever, he ended the season in the bull pen, which is where is expected to be slotted next season. His 6.88 ERA with Denver before they sent him to play AAA ball dropped to a season total average of 4.78, throwing much better with his new team.

In July, to finish solidifying Florida's defense, we acquired superior defensive CF Russell Lehman from Kansas City, essentially for our first round selection next season which should be around pick #17 or so. We wanted every win we could get, so we grabbed the 27 year old in the hopes that he will provide the team help in the outfield for a number of years to come.

Other than P Mike Burke (mentioned above), we drafted two additional pitchers... future ace SP Julio Allen at #5 overall, and reliever Antonio Miller with pick #57. The 17 year old Allen will need a good 4-5 years of development before he is ready to go, but will be a great asset then. Miller has the potential to fill a limited relief role, but may not be brought up after all... time will tell. We are looking at his acquisition as insurance.

Rookies brought up this season had a great impact. We had four players in the running for RoY: 24 year old LF Charles Didonato, who hit .310 this season while sometimes covering 3B as well; 27 year old lefty reliever Leonard Dalessandro, who had a 2.66 ERA in 61 IP; and a pair of 23 year old starters... Albert Milne (28 QS, 21-11, 234 K's, 2.56 ERA) and second round selection Donald Alford (18 QS, 12-16, 225 K's, 4.04 ERA).

Awards this season:
    MVP/SS DH Earl Robertson (.304 avg, 61 HR's)
    RoY SP Albert Milne (see above)
    All-Stars: DH Robertson, SP Milne, as well as 31 yo SP Jose Huffman (20-12, 26 QS, 196 K's, 2.86 ERA) and 27 yo LH reliever Herbert Craig (1-6, 28 SV, 6 BS, 2.95 ERA).
    Last edited by DaveW; November 22, 2020 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1018 View Post
    thanks, Ive gotta ask, what happened in game 5? Stovey gets pulled with 5 1/3 up 4-3 with 45+% fatigue? You gave toast way up or were you trying to preserve him in case of a game 7? Either way I think it was a series breaker.
    Honestly I have no clue. I have my toast set at 8 for the playoffs usually which I found typically equates to giving up five runs. And fatigue is down to zero. I'm not really sure if I just misplayed it a little or what, to be honest.I guess the sim just felt since he had already given up several runs once he struggled in the sixth it was time, but typically a seven or eight toast in the playoffs has worked for me.

WBC: Czech Republic Nároďak - 1 for 4 WS winners, back to back to back promotions (3x), 0 relegations in 5 cycles

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

A little bit missed among the disappointments in losing in the DCS was the fact that Brooklyn swept all four major awards this year. Doc Watson won the Cy, George Scales won MVP, John Henry won ROY, and Donald Sanner won FOY. Pretty positive I've never had that happen in my CSFBL career.

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Quote Originally Posted by AndreltonSimmons View Post
    A little bit missed among the disappointments in losing in the DCS was the fact that Brooklyn swept all four major awards this year. Doc Watson won the Cy, George Scales won MVP, John Henry won ROY, and Donald Sanner won FOY. Pretty positive I've never had that happen in my CSFBL career.

yes, I was just about to let everyone know. Impressive !
    Owner of :
    Binopolis Blue Sox (BCP) *est.1982
    Binopolis Red Sox (RHP) *day 1 WS Finalist 1981 Division Finalist 1982 ; 1983
    Binopolis Classic Sox(Classic Prospect) *day 1 WS Finalist 1981
    Bowie Baysox (MLB - ReMake AA) *est. 2088 WS CHAMP 2088 WS Finalist 2089
    Gwinnett Braves (MLB - ReMake AA) *est. 2091
    Kansas City Monarchs (TCB) *est. 1983
    St Louis Cardinals (TML) *est. 1963 WS Finalist 1964 Division Finalist 1963, 1966 Conference Finalist 1967

Congrats Newtz on your game 7 win vs. Philly. You have a shot at leaving on top if you can knock off Vulp in the WS.

This is a tough situation for the Stars, the Acquisition of DeLaCruz was supposed to be a difference maker in the post season matching up with Lewis and Co. He's been decent but certainly not a difference maker. Also Lewis got blown up for 4 in the 7th, going 0-2 in the LCS.

Giving up Paige in the deal was a huge risk that will haunt me, I knew he'd turn things around and he did. He was a stud since leaving for Montreal (10-4 3.08) and his EN vs. DLC's is staggering. We'll have to lick our wounds and shuffle things around to stay in the hunt.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567