Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2114 Post Season

2114 Post Season

Let the games begin. This might just be the year the Chieftain Division is an underdog. YTown won plenty of games but was only (+48). Heck, Wassamatta U tried to blow a five game lead with three games left. Roll 'em out.

Re: 2114 Post Season

Youngstown is still the favorite until someone knocks them off.

Yep. YTown up 3-1.

That guy's good. Congrats again, Steve! Go get 'em.

Survive & advance. My geriatric pitching staff still has a little pep left. Onto round two again!

Mario Johnson's been amazing these last three starts - 23 IP, 0 runs allowed, only 10 HITS allowed. Youngstown takes the 1-0 World Series lead.

With John Elliott in line to face his former team in Game 2 of the World Series, I thought it would be fun to look back at the mega-trade that brought him to Youngstown.

From Youngstown Steel:
    CF: Michael Bragg ($815,000)
    CF: Van Chance ($954,000)
    P: Saul Peterson ($1,930,000)
    Second Round Draft Pick: #32 overall
    2106 1st round pick
    2106 2nd round pick

From Alethkar Shardbearers:
    P: John Elliott ($4,183,000)

Bragg is retired & despite nice on-base potential, never panned out. Chance is still Alethkar's cleanup hitter with more than 350 HR. Peterson has finally found his niche as a quality closer after some up-and-down seasons in the rotation.

The 2105 2nd rounder turned into Joseph McWilliams, now in his sixth season as a reliever for the Shardbearers. The 2106 1st rounder ended up being Israel Brewer, who has 48 wins in three seasons in the rotation so far. At 27, he'll be around for a while. The 2nd rounder never panned out.

So Youngstown got 9+ seasons of Elliott, who has earned five rings in this uniform (going for a 6th this season), but Alethkar has multiple contributors on this World Series team to show for the deal - including a solid young starter, the team's closer, & cleanup hitter.

I'd still make the deal again. Let's see how Elliott does against his former team in Game 2 today!

It would be more interesting to know if Alethkar would make the deal again. Especially when they lose the WS because they can't match that kind of ace. Of course they accumulated all their best players by being terrible as a result of that trade though, so it worked out in some ways.

Since the trade went down prior to myself taking over; I'm not sure how I'd handle that deal. If the team sucked and this was a trade piece to build, maybe.

I'm surprised to have made this far. The team is good but I'm not sure we can hold up in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumba View Post
    Since the trade went down prior to myself taking over; I'm not sure how I'd handle that deal. If the team sucked and this was a trade piece to build, maybe.

I'm surprised to have made this far. The team is good but I'm not sure we can hold up in this series.
    If it makes you feel better, your chances are as good as all of Youngtown's playoff opponents the past few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast