Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion on draft lottery for NLT

Re: Discussion on draft lottery for NLT

Are you kidding me...... What part of my post is so upsetting to you? Be better? How about you at least wait a week before you try to change the whole league and I said put all this to a vote instead of pointing fingers and making side comments about the league.

Quote Originally Posted by b1ade17 View Post
    Are you kidding me...... What part of my post is so upsetting to you? Be better? How about you at least wait a week before you try to change the whole league and I said put all this to a vote instead of pointing fingers and making side comments about the league.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into what you're saying, and if so I apologize. It's hard to tell the meaning behind the text sometimes.
    When you say "why fix something that isn't broken?" and yet you are taking advantage of the rules being enforced in a lax manner, that comes across to me as someone who likes using the looseness to his advantage and doesn't want to change it because he'll lose in some way. If you're an honest person, you'll recognize this league has some issues that could be fixed (and simply!). I agree that this should be put to a vote.
    "The other team could make trouble for us if they beat us" - Yogi Berra

CWS:USC Trojans - 3 for 5 WS winners
    WBC: Czech Republic Nároďak - 1 for 4 WS winners, back to back to back promotions (3x), 0 relegations in 5 cycles
    GOAT 4: Twin Peaks Tatas
    EP: Terramuggus Terracotta Terrapins

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    Serengeti Wildebeests (MONEYBALL)
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Quote Originally Posted by AndreltonSimmons View Post
    Maybe I'm reading too much into what you're saying, and if so I apologize. It's hard to tell the meaning behind the text sometimes.
    When you say "why fix something that isn't broken?" and yet you are taking advantage of the rules being enforced in a lax manner, that comes across to me as someone who likes using the looseness to his advantage and doesn't want to change it because he'll lose in some way. If you're an honest person, you'll recognize this league has some issues that could be fixed (and simply!). I agree that this should be put to a vote.

Just to recap: you have now called me a liar and a cheat and attacked my reputation? And that was your apology? WTH?!!

Quote Originally Posted by b1ade17 View Post
    Just to recap: you have now called me a liar and a cheat and attacked my reputation? And that was your apology? WTH?!!
    Putting words in my mouth, never said anything about lying or cheating, so don't put that on me. Didn't even call you out on skirting the cap until you forced the issue. I'll leave it at that and we can settle our differences over PM if you wish.
    Last edited by AndreltonSimmons; September 16, 2020 at 10:35 PM.

Lotteries can be interesting. Justice always had one back when I was there, and it made things kind of fun.
    Current Leagues
    Brockmire - Indianapolis Hoosiers- 1991
    KBL - Rocky Mountain Bombers- 2041
    NLT - Birmingham Black Barons- 2038 (2042 WS Champs)

Former Member of Justice, EBB, JC, TAB, Remake, LEG, TDD, and several others

Hey guys, some of these discussions seemed to have gone South a bit, so just to clear things up...

Firstly, there would definitely be a vote on any changes, maybe my tone was a bit presumptive in my OP but the idea was just to collect opinions here first, not to try and force the league down a particular direction. Also, Andrelton messaged me on joining the league about what it was like, he's not here trying to take anything over or start fights, he's just excited by the concept of NLT and found it in a different place to some other leagues he's been in (that I've been in too). So hopefully we can all take a step back here and rather than get into direct attacks just discuss from a clear starting point IF we want anything to change, and if so then what...

I understand BigBeau's point about minimum wins and tanking, I was in one league where the 'tank and bank' strategy was completely welcomed and embraced. Each season there was effectively a race to the bottom and a race to the top, but there was also a lot of trade activity between the two races as owners were either collecting competitive pieces or hoarding draft picks. There seems to be a majority across CSFBL who are against the strategy, and that's why minimum wins/lotteries are so prevalent, but it if the ownership of a league is OK with it, I don't see why it necessarily has to be a dirty thing.

I do think there's an issue with engagement - I almost feel like activity is the wrong word because all owners sign in regularly. But I get annoyed with missed draft picks, as I feel this should be a minimum standard to meet if you want to be part of a league - I put in the time each season to set up and run the draft, I feel the courtesy of making a pick or even just sending a PM with a simple instruction should be fair enough. It also saddens me that the forum and trade activity are so low, and I understand crim for leaving because he got no trade activity. But I can hardly complain too much because I'm stretched so thin across the salary cap enforcement, draft, and commissioner duties in two other leagues, that I can't even remember the last trade I made here.

So I would be interested to get people's opinions on if we can improve the league at all. I like having a hard cap, and I feel like it's adhered to at the level of my enforcement - some seasons I get the forum thread and PMs sent out right after the flip and all teams get under, some seasons I don't get the notifications out until late in March, and then I'm more sympathetic to teams taking a RL day or two to get sorted. I'll try and be more timely on both notifying and enforcing the cap going forward. Whether minimum wins/lottery would mean people kept more of an eye on their teams whilst they're rebuilding, I don't know, but if anyone has other ideas to try and get more owners on the boards, talking trades or adding colour like Rockman has done so nicely recently, I'd definitely be open to them
    MLB ReMake: Seattle Mariners (2121)
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Las Flores Turanza
    Negro League Tribute: Kansas City Monarchs (2005, 2020, 2021, 2031)
    Pacific Coast League: Spokane Indians (1961, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1977,1978, 1982)

Previous teams:

Red Hot Prospects: Palapye Power (1982)
    Blue Chip Baseball: Serowe Rhinos (1990, 1991, 1998)
    Knights of CSFBL: Tatooine Womp Rats (2082, 2084)
    CSFBL Justice: Palapye Miners (2110)
    World League: Seibu Lions (2101, 2114, 2115, 2116, 2118)
    Caribbean League: Havana Jonron (2045)
    Beta: BIUST Buffaloes (2096)
    Cooperstown's Finest: Guildford Mavericks (2011)
    Earth Baseball: Palapye Swallows
    MLB Remake - Baltimore Orioles
    Psi Phi: Bedford Blues
    MLB ReMake - AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
    Sons of Ivy 3: Palapye Impala
    League of Legends: Ashtead Aardvarks
    MLB ReMake - AAA: Durham Bulls (2097)
    GOAT 2, 3 & 4: Palapye Power

Well, if we go with min wins idea it should be a rolling 3 year thing. The teams I have had in csfbl that lost 100 games in a season were teams that while rebuilding I came in expecting to win at least 70. And really had everything go wrong (one that lost 102) had a 19 game losing streak in August and was at a complete loss what to do, of the first 10 or so we were almost always losing by 3 or less).

I also had a team that won less than 70, yet had a positive run differential. We were like 1-16 in extra inning games with the one win in mid September. Point being bad luck can happen over a season, harder to justify over multiple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12