Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion on draft lottery for NLT

Discussion on draft lottery for NLT

Hi everyone,

This is a development of the thread on tanking/min wins, where there's been concerns raised about uncompetitive teams being fielded.

There's two ways this is normally approached in CSFBL, either have a minimum wins total for a single season or 3-year cycle with draft penalties applied for failing to meet them, or a lottery where a certain number of the lowest wins teams have their draft spot picked by random, essentially removing an incentive for a race to the bottom.

Greek has suggested a lottery, and I'm inclined to personally agree with him. It can be quite easy to manage as opposed to keeping lists of team wins over multiple seasons, and also seems more 'positive', in adding an element of luck and unpredictability, rather than the 'negative' of always looking out for teams having a bad year.

However, I'm open to the rest of the ownership's views on this, so please speak up - if you'd rather do so in private feel free to PM me. If there's split opinions, then I'll run a vote on 'min wins' v 'lottery' and we'll take it from there.

It might help to move things along quicker if we also start discussing what the lottery or min wins would look like. Do we want a lottery for the bottom 6, ie first block? Sometimes lotteries are larger but have tapered odds, ie the team with the lowest wins has a higher chance of 'winning', and can include up to all non-playoff sides with reducing odds. On the minimum wins side, we'd need to decide what the threshold would be, if it would be single season or multiple, and what the penalty would be - a 3 or 6 spot reduction in draft order is standard.

My personal preference would be to do a draft lottery of the bottom 6 teams, all having equal odds - so each of the bottom six teams has an equal chance of getting the top pick. I like the idea of keeping the number of teams involved small - both for logistical purposes of running the draft and because I think the issue is really confined to that amount of teams - and to me having sliding odds negates the point of having a lottery at all. If the bottom team has a higher chance of getting the no.1 pick, there's still incentive to finish last.

But, I'll throw the floor open and we'll see what responses we get.
    MLB ReMake: Seattle Mariners (2121)
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Las Flores Turanza
    Negro League Tribute: Kansas City Monarchs (2005, 2020, 2021, 2031)
    Pacific Coast League: Spokane Indians (1961, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1977,1978, 1982)

Previous teams:

Red Hot Prospects: Palapye Power (1982)
    Blue Chip Baseball: Serowe Rhinos (1990, 1991, 1998)
    Knights of CSFBL: Tatooine Womp Rats (2082, 2084)
    CSFBL Justice: Palapye Miners (2110)
    World League: Seibu Lions (2101, 2114, 2115, 2116, 2118)
    Caribbean League: Havana Jonron (2045)
    Beta: BIUST Buffaloes (2096)
    Cooperstown's Finest: Guildford Mavericks (2011)
    Earth Baseball: Palapye Swallows
    MLB Remake - Baltimore Orioles
    Psi Phi: Bedford Blues
    MLB ReMake - AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
    Sons of Ivy 3: Palapye Impala
    League of Legends: Ashtead Aardvarks
    MLB ReMake - AAA: Durham Bulls (2097)
    GOAT 2, 3 & 4: Palapye Power

Re: Discussion on draft lottery for NLT

Moneyball's lottery system seems to work fine.

This league has over 120 seasons; why are we changing now? Its one of the few leagues without open spots and most owners are here for the long hall. If there are any changes the whole league should vote. But why are we trying to fix something that is not broken?

I'm in several leagues. Some have minimum wins, some don't. I'm not sure why people get so annoyed. They do it in professional sport leagues and can't control it there and that's a business with passionate fans and huge sums of $ involved. This is supposed to be a fun distraction, right? Why create extra work and extra rules? Don't forget, if a manager is actively managing their team to lose, that means they intend to eventually actively manage their team to win. That's what every league strives for, active managers. Would you rather have them here or have them go to another league where they can manage their team the way they want as opposed to the way you want them to play?

Quote Originally Posted by b1ade17 View Post
    This league has over 120 seasons; why are we changing now? Its one of the few leagues without open spots and most owners are here for the long hall. If there are any changes the whole league should vote. But why are we trying to fix something that is not broken?
    It's broken, that's why. You played until mid-april over the cap. If you get into the playoffs by a game or two over the third place team who was under cap, is that a fair result? And apparently you are actually an active owner, unlike some other teams which have only won 60+ games in one out of the last 6 seasons. It's pretty embarrassing to have a hundred loss season, not to mention 5 of the last 6.
    "The other team could make trouble for us if they beat us" - Yogi Berra

CWS:USC Trojans - 3 for 5 WS winners
    WBC: Czech Republic Nároďak - 1 for 4 WS winners, back to back to back promotions (3x), 0 relegations in 5 cycles
    GOAT 4: Twin Peaks Tatas
    EP: Terramuggus Terracotta Terrapins

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    Serengeti Wildebeests (MONEYBALL)
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBeau View Post
    I'm in several leagues. Some have minimum wins, some don't. I'm not sure why people get so annoyed. They do it in professional sport leagues and can't control it there and that's a business with passionate fans and huge sums of $ involved. This is supposed to be a fun distraction, right? Why create extra work and extra rules? Don't forget, if a manager is actively managing their team to lose, that means they intend to eventually actively manage their team to win. That's what every league strives for, active managers. Would you rather have them here or have them go to another league where they can manage their team the way they want as opposed to the way you want them to play?
    Rather have them leave, absolutely. Follow the rules of the league, or don't play in it. Simple. Otherwise there's no point for owners who actually try to play by the rules. And BTW this is not about changing the rules. The rules will stay the rules, right now they just aren't being enforced.

WBC: Czech Republic Nároďak - 1 for 4 WS winners, back to back to back promotions (3x), 0 relegations in 5 cycles

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

By the way, I'm okay with a lottery. But a lottery especially with six teams doesn't really help the inactivity issue, if that's indeed the main problem here. But I think we need to really consider either removing owners or having a stiffer penalty for continued poor performance. But hey I'm one guy and if the rest of you just want a chilled League where nobody really cares about the cap or being consistently competitive, that's fine. It's just not for me.

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Quote Originally Posted by AndreltonSimmons View Post
    It's broken, that's why. You played until mid-april over the cap. If you get into the playoffs by a game or two over the third place team who was under cap, is that a fair result? And apparently you are actually an active owner, unlike some other teams which have only won 60+ games in one out of the last 6 seasons. It's pretty embarrassing to have a hundred loss season, not to mention 5 of the last 6.
    And there it is..... I knew if we scratched that itch long enough the truth would come out. What other teams do you have problem with?

Picked up the Chicago American Giants in March. I've had blocks open on the forums and a number of players available on the site, and in six months I've recieved one offer that I accepted. Hopefully I've made some decent draft picks, but this type of team building isn't really for me. Good luck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by b1ade17 View Post
    And there it is..... I knew if we scratched that itch long enough the truth would come out. What other teams do you have problem with?
    Yeah, not trying to call specific owners out as a courtesy. You can look at the draft list this year and see how the top several teams have performed for the last 5 or 6 years and know which ones I have a specific issue with. And then you can go look at the teams which got penalized for being over the cap, and the ones who posted half a month late that they were under and add those in. Be better.

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast