Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2045 Season

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

2045 Season

I think it's said that hope springs eternal each spring in baseball and thats the case with Buntsville again this season. The optimism is probably unwarranted with the emergence of so many other clubs the past few seasons. The '41 entry draft combined with some good managing has created a very challenging league.

Last season we swung a couple deals that didnt work out the way I expected. Ron Sloan was brought in for his additional power and ability to handle himself in the field. He's a bit soft when it comes to EN which is why I have to flipflop him with our other top of the order SS Bobby Buentello, I hope to squeeze as much playing time out of the 2 of them and have them play side by side in the event we make the playoffs.

Larry Sullivan was exactly what we hoped for last season, not only high OBP but hit for a decent average also. He replaced Jack Jennings who went to Sully's old squad Allegheny. Jennings is nearly a decade younger but his inconsistency and poor defense forced the cap strapped team to release him. Jennings is also a -9 RHH, he surprisingly was behind the plate all season for the Innocents, he threw out only 37 of 154 basestealers. I used him primarily as a DH. Yeah this is me justifying letting go a good leadoff guy.

The other deal we made was for another vet, Jack Toomer. Nothing special but still some room for improvement in SY & CO. He was a point better in ERA than in Vermont but still a bottom of the rotation pitcher. The big move this season is the move of Larry Shapiro to starters. I never considered him in the role because of the sub 50 EN but thats where Gary Murphy has been sitting the past couple of seasons. Shapiro in the MR1 role has been plagued by SeaFat because of his heavy use, now as a starter that should be so much of a problem and with solid CO (86/93) Im pretty confident we can get 200 innings out of him. Murphy was let go when the team decided to sign former 2nd round pick Pat Gomez, He's a hard throwing closer with good CO and real high EN. We hope to be in enough games to give him chances to close out games. The move saved the team 1M.

We'll also bring up a couple prospects a little early. Jesse Nixon was a 2nd baseman converted to C because of his big arm. He's coming in at 22 but his SL is in the 80's and his big arm is ready atleast to play part time behind Sullivan. He's never going to hit for AVG but once his DI maxes he'll be OK with a 96 SL potential.

Tim Sherman is also coming in a little early at 22 but with LHH corner OF weve been searching for a good backup that can hit a little. He'll hit lefties at +6 and if he was ever an everyday player his defense is GG caliber.

The hope for the team is to get back to the playoffs, dont know how many wins that will take but Osborne and NPB will have something to say about it. The Slone trade cost us pick #11 after the post trade disappointment. We may be a buyer come draft time.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire League- Philadelphia Stars
    ALTRTA- Roxborugh Rampage

Re: 2045 Season

Minimum roster moves were made with the RAYS Riviera Maya Sun God's going into this season, which isn't saying much towards improving our disappointment of last year's outcome in the division. But the ballclub has moved into a new multi-use stadium with the local soccer team. The dimensions are both longer down the lines as well as a deeper centerfield, the walls are alittle higher as well, so the home run production numbers will most likely take a hit, but it may help the pitchers may benefit. The name of the stadium is "The Great Beach"...nicknamed "GB" for short. Overall looking for a rebound this season and try to give the Chicago club alittle better competition. Good Luck to all.

Chicago got back to work this offseason. We brought up 2 young pitchers in Amaro and Harris who we hope are the next generation in an aging staff. Speaking of aging, we signed 2 big bats at the last second to help with 1B and DH. Snyder and Weathers will hopefully spend plenty of time on base in front of a decent returning Middle of the order.

We offered up 5 time GG this offseason but no one bit. We’ll see if he makes it past the trade deadline.
    World Cup Baseball Spain La Roja WS:1927
    Dodgers Baseball Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers WS:1960
    Little League Dark Matter Tigers WS:2036
    Kapsileta Chicago Big Dogs WS:2044

Quote Originally Posted by R. Dillman View Post
    Weathers will hopefully spend plenty of time on base in front of a decent returning Middle of the orde
    He was going to be an extra for me so it wasnt worth a bidding war
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1018 View Post
    He was going to be an extra for me so it wasnt worth a bidding war
    I’m sure I paid too much for him but I wasn’t feeling good about one of my hitters that regressed this offseason. Hopefully it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Dillman View Post
    I’m sure I paid too much for him but I wasn’t feeling good about one of my hitters that regressed this offseason. Hopefully it was worth it.
    Taking 3 of 4 from you early on and in you park was sweet... hopefully it is a good sign for the season

Yea that was annoying. Haha

I'll post a full preview when I have time, but I think I have the best team I've had since I took over. We've been right in the playoff mix until the last week of the season 2 years in a row and completely choked. That's not acceptable this year... playoffs or bust. Our pitching is as good as it's ever been with a very good rotation and hopefully a less bad bullpen. Our lineup is undeniably deeper than it has been at any point in the past few years, though Erickson isn't quite at his elite peak anymore. There are big expectations in Colorado this year.
    Current Leagues
    Brockmire - Indianapolis Hoosiers- 1991
    KBL - Rocky Mountain Bombers- 2041
    NLT - Birmingham Black Barons- 2038

Former Member of Justice, EBB, JC, TAB, Remake, LEG, TDD, and several others

The Pedro Gomez experiment didnt last long. 1-4 6SVs 3BS, 5 HRs allowed in 11+ innings. So much for the shutdown closer experiment. Its exactly what this teams needs with a stable of starters that lack EN, the offense is pretty solid and has depth but pitching will keep us out of things. Osborne has a crazy good staff and I should just cut ties with this team but that would be too easy.

We did grab another arm, David Gross is another low EN guy with pretty solid numbers, just had a bad outing but should be fine the duration of the season. I guess i'll keep buying pieces until the team completely ages out.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

After PSFA shook up our roster and left the depth very bare, State Street has struggled to a .500 record. Good news is the bats are under performing their true talent, so we should score more runs going forward. Our pitching is performing about as expected with one exception in the rotation that is due for improvement, but our terrible bullpen has been predictably bad. We stand a chance at the playoffs still, but taking a step back from last year's 100+ win squad while going after PSFAs isn't looking so smart.
    XB TriStars (2049-) Div: 17, Conf: 8, WS: 1
    2ML Colonels (1963-) Div: 8, Conf: 3, WS: 3
    LEG Blues (2036-) Div: 11, Conf: 7, WS: 3
    BD Wildcats (2048-) Div: 15, Conf: 11, WS: 6
    CarL Carousers (2031-) Div: 11, Conf: 7, WS: 4
    TDD Kaws (2103-) Div: 8, Conf: 6, WS: 3
    Brockmire Monarchs (1981-) Div: 6, Conf: 3, WS: 2
    TCL Tramcars (2122-)
    KBL Smokers (2042-)
    Past teams in WS: 7-13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast