Thread: Biggest Disappointment

Biggest Disappointment

OK, now that I shared my favorite unsung hero, let's hear about your biggest disappointment.

It's too early to call former #5 pick Joey Carter a flop, so I'm going to go with 2B Stephen Casanova. It's not fair to call him a flop or failure considering he came into the league in '81 and smashed 52 HR while driving in 128 runs en route to a #10 finish in the league MVP voting and helped Detroit win the inaugural Brockmire World Series. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the fanfare ended for Casanova. He was a monster in the playoffs in '81 hitting 7 HR and knocking in 18, while hitting .321/.390, but after an off season of rumored partying and drugs, he was never the same. Sure, he wasn't a spring chicken when he was drafted in the first Free Agent draft (30), but in '82 he was pretty much a shell of his former self. His AVG dropped 33 points to a measly .224. His OBP dropped 29 points. His HR dropped from 52 to 28; and his RBI total went all the way down to 74 as he nearly lost 200 points on his OPS. He still knocked in 11 runs in the playoffs, but his OPS dropped 450 points from the year before. It was pretty much a repeat performance the following four seasons as he averaged less than 26 HR and 73 RBI. His playoff performance was even worse, hitting .195 from '83 to '85. He finally had enough at the age of 35 and retired following the '86 season.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-0
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:3-0
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:2-0
    Past

Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1
    PGML-Musk. Clippers 2033-2037 WS:0-1
    Tilted Tables-Pilots 1991- WS:2-6

Re: Biggest Disappointment

I loved Casanova in the inaugural draft and almost took him. It was impossible to see his quick decline coming given his age.

This one couldn't be easier for KC. A big reason why I went out looking to buy and acquired P Roy Morales, was the presence of P Larry Gonzalez on my initial roster. I felt like if I could get another ace, I'd be in good shape given the dearth of pitching at the beginning of the league. I counted on Gonzalez to anchor my rotation with Morales and vaunt KC to multiple titles. I guess that happened, but other than eat mediocre innings Gonzalez didn't do much. It never made any sense to me, he was rocking a 93/80/98/43 big four with 70s EN and stayed that way for a while, but he never managed to convert it into good numbers despite pulling in huge salaries. He never posted a season ERA below 3.53, and only came in under 4.32 three times in his nine seasons in Brockmire. How the hell is that possible given his numbers and the quality of talent in the league from the jump?! Gonzalez made 2 AS teams, but I expected much much more. He's a big reason why KC hoisted only two trophies instead of competing to be the team of the decade off the league start.
    XB TriStars (2049-) Div: 17, Conf: 8, WS: 1
    2ML Colonels (1963-) Div: 8, Conf: 3, WS: 3
    LEG Blues (2036-) Div: 11, Conf: 7, WS: 3
    BD Wildcats (2048-) Div: 15, Conf: 11, WS: 6
    CarL Carousers (2031-) Div: 11, Conf: 7, WS: 4
    TDD Kaws (2103-) Div: 8, Conf: 6, WS: 3
    Brockmire Monarchs (1981-) Div: 6, Conf: 3, WS: 2
    TCL Tramcars (2122-)
    KBL Smokers (2042-)
    Past teams in WS: 7-13

Florida's biggest disappointment is in having made it to the playoffs only once, losing in the divisional round in 1981. As far as players go, however, perhaps it has to be the team's inaugural SP1, Mario Heitman. He earned rookie of year honors in 1981 and was on the all-star team his first two seasons, but fell off a cliff starting in his third season. I had expected his extraordinarily high power to last 3-5 additional years, and was severely disappointed in his performance instead.

Although he was 28 years old when the league was formed and was a power pitcher, his stats remained very respectable for a number of seasons beyond his second. 99/71/83/53 in 1981, falling to only 85/67/83/52 by his fifth season at age 32. He only made the all-star teams in 1981 and 1982, racking up over 300 K's in each season. While he started 36+ games in each of his first five seasons, his ERA and WHIP increased quickly... 2.39/1.09 in 1981, 3.25/1.19 in 1982, and then leveling off at about 4.6/1.45 each of the next three seasons, racking up 19 and 20 wins in the first two seasons, but only 40 total in the next three seasons. He was relegated to relief duties after the all-star break in '86, and was dropped after pitching five innings in relief in 1987 having a 7.2 ERA and 1.8 WHIP. He pitched three fairly reasonable seasons in relief with New York after that, but was released by that team early in 1990 at age 37 and retired at the end of that season.

His record with Florida was 88-75 in 213 starts, with a good 1,684/498 K/BB's, but only having 10 complete games and three shutouts total with the team to his credit.

This is an easy one for me. Buffalo's biggest disappointment is the owner me. I should be doing better than what I am. I inherited a below-average team and I turned it into a much worse than below average team. Building a little bit now with Thompson and this year's number one pick George. Hope to get close to 500 this year and over it next year but still no where near a playoff team.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

I didnt think Id have something to post here but I just remembered a move I made that didnt seem like much at the time and I was desperate to sure up my bullpen.

Xavier Boice was one of the few young prospects on the team I inherited in '81. He was a 17YO with a a high SY ceiling. I dealt him to Pittsburgh for Leeland Reese who was a miserable reliever for me. Bad trade by me and despite it we still grabbed the championship. As payback the team never gave Reese his championship ring as you can see from his achievement page. Then again maybe that's why we was so bad.
    Last edited by bobcat1018; July 30, 2020 at 09:25 PM.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire League- Philadelphia Stars
    ALTRTA- Roxborugh Rampage

Easy for me......LOB's.......many baserunners and very few runs.......in (and apparently staying for awhile) the minimum wins hole...

This is actually kind of a hard question for Indy. If you look at the draft history, the owner prior to me wasn't great at hitting big, but pretty much everyone he took in round 1 found a way to contribute. He was pretty good at picking role players.

Because there's not a true bust to look at, I'm going to go with Steven Robbins. It's odd calling a 4x All-Star a disappointment, but the disappointment is how quickly his career dropped off. He had a big year the year I took over and finished the season. After a stadium change, with the same ratings, he dropped to sub-.700 OPS. The .864 OPS may have been a little inflated, but his rating profile should have kept him in the high .700s-low .800s OPS and been a good contributor to my team or someone else that wanted him. He never really got it back again, though he killed lefties for the rest of his career. He just forgot how to hit righties. He makes this list because a solid career just kind of died when he was 27 and should have been in his prime.
    Current Leagues
    Brockmire - Indianapolis Hoosiers- 1991
    KBL - Rocky Mountain Bombers- 2041
    NLT - Birmingham Black Barons- 2038

Former Member of Justice, EBB, JC, TAB, Remake, LEG, TDD, and several others

I'll go ahead and list P James Pennell as Milwaukee's biggest disappointment. It's hard to call a pitcher a disappointment when he has a career W-L record of 83-45 (21 Wins in 1991) but because he was taken 5th overall in the 1985 draft and holds a 3.51 ERA with only 11 CG's (0 SHO) in 168 starts I have to hold myself accountable for not getting more impact from such a high draft pick. He has been enough of a disappointment that management relegated him to the bullpen in 1994 where he did a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyewiks View Post
    I'll go ahead and list P James Pennell as Milwaukee's biggest disappointment. It's hard to call a pitcher a disappointment when he has a career W-L record of 83-45 (21 Wins in 1991) but because he was taken 5th overall in the 1985 draft and holds a 3.51 ERA with only 11 CG's (0 SHO) in 168 starts I have to hold myself accountable for not getting more impact from such a high draft pick. He has been enough of a disappointment that management relegated him to the bullpen in 1994 where he did a decent job.
    Honestly with that draft I'm not sure you had better options, except maybe Leonard Hunt.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-0
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:3-0
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:2-0
    Past

Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1
    PGML-Musk. Clippers 2033-2037 WS:0-1
    Tilted Tables-Pilots 1991- WS:2-6

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Honestly with that draft I'm not sure you had better options, except maybe Leonard Hunt.
    Very adept of you to know I am a pitchers 1st kind of drafter. Hunt probably would have been the better option as far as pitchers go but I am kicking myself for not grabbing C Jerry Hanson. I'm not sure if his super slugging would have changed the outcome of my seasons but I sure wish I had made that choice.