Thread: Who are/were your favorite non-legendary players?

Who are/were your favorite non-legendary players?

We all love our hall of famers, but what players that weren't superstars were some of your favorites?

Re: Who are/were your favorite non-legendary players?

SS Robert Preston

I wanted him the moment I came into the league. His 8.50+ range and his 99RA and elite glove... I could care less if he could hit. The owner finally relented and traded him (for a lot). Right now, he's my favorite. He's even hitting well this year for a defensive SS. And I have my old SS (RA=88) backing up the entire infield. Sometimes when he is at 1B, my rangey infield defense is 98-99-100-88 around the horn.
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979),[AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 1-0 (2122)

I was a leadoff guy back in college, sub NCAA level, so I love guys who fit that mold. For some reason, Joseph Donato is still my all time favorite lead off guy. Then there's Brian Cao who IMO, would be a real life lock for the HoF but just not quite up to CSFBL snuff. Not a speedster by any means, but boy could he hit and get on base.
    World Series Record: 1 - 2
    Dodgers Baseball: Sherman Oaks Spartans: 1964 (L)
    Big League: Seattle Sasquatches: 1995 (W), 1996 (L)

I'll go waaaaay back. When CSFBL v4.0 just started... the very first years of MLB ReMake.

SP Harry Huntsman

He was my ace, for my 3-peat dynasty that started off the greatest league in all of CSFBL. In 1973, he went 26-0, in the regular season, and then 3-0 in the playoffs, including an incredible game 6 win that forced the deciding game 7. He was finally inducted into the HOF with 221 wins.
    Last edited by SlickLaptop; July 22, 2020 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickLaptop View Post
    I'll go waaaaay back. When CSFBL v4.0 just started... the very first years of MLB ReMake.

SP Harry Huntsman

He was my ace, for my 3-peat dynasty that started off the greatest league in all of CSFBL. In 1973, he went 26-0, in the regular season, and then 3-0 in the playoffs, including an incredible game 6 win that forced the deciding game 7. He was finally inducted into the HOF with 221 wins.
    So what you are telling me, according to the article subject is....this player was not a legend.....hmmmmmm.

Errr... got too excited I guess.
    He did kind if fall off though...

My bad. Continue on...
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979),[AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 1-0 (2122)

https://www.csfbl.com/player/4626266/view

I was desperate for a SS with any range, so he was drafted with mediocre defensive abilities way too high in the draft. I landed a real SS a couple of seasons later and moved this guy to a COF where he put up solid numbers for many years. Never considered a star player, he just played well for so long that he almost got to 3000 hits. I moved him to 1B as a last ditch effort to extend his career but I had to cut him loose as I couldn't keep him around for another season as a DH or at first base. This turned out to be a dumb move on my part as his replacement, an aging slugger that I picked up as a free agent, had a terrible year. Should I kept him for another year, he would like likely got to 3k hits and maybe elected into the HOF. Not bad for a player that was drafted because he was a SS with a 70ish RA.

Mookie Monteleone had quite a career with 21 years of mediocrity, and managed to become a so-so closer in his late-30s, early-40s for a pretty bad team before finally calling it quits after making $64 million in career earnings (not adjust for inflation)! He did pretty well for himself...

Merrill Hess is definitely one of my all time favorite non-legendary guys. 2nd round pick who put together a respectable 16 year career. Did not register a single recognized achievement but did end up with 403 homeruns, over 1,200 RBIs, and a .782 OPS.

Cloud Little. I liked the name. 3rd round pick who I grabbed in Free Agency. Played three full seasons and averaged .236/23/77 and even nabbed an All Star appearance.

Chester Scarbrough. Former first round pick who never really blossomed. Ended up with 188 wins over 14 seasons with three All Star nods.