Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Draft

Re: Live Draft

IF $DATE=5/4/XXXX, THEN LET $LIST01@TEAMID01=$DRAFTPICK01

IF $DATE=5/5/XXXX, THEN LET $LIST01@TEAMID02=$DRAFTPICK02

Etc.

There I wrote the code. I made up my own code. You have a live draft. Enjoy.
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979),[AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 1-0 (2122)

And the commissioners are the people here who are the most dedicated and most active...you know, the one's we don't want to burn out.

I don't think we really need to run the 3rd round at the same pace as the 1st round. Let the 3rd round happen all at once. It's easy enough to order the bottom 3rd of the draft list. We could probably also run the 2nd round faster than the first round.

Keeping everything about the current CSFBL draft as is, all that the coders need to do to create a gap in time between picks (3 hours? 6 hours?) and for taken picks to be blocked or removed from other player's draft lists going forward. That's it. The code already takes draft order into account, already goes sequentially in order through the teams, etc. It's just a matter of adding some time between picks and updating the draft lists as it goes.

Some decision must be made for the time gaps.

72 picks offset by 6 hours (real time), also assuming 24 hours between draft list release and start = 432 hours + 24 hours or 19 real life days. That seems like too much of the simulated 8 games/day season.

So, an alternative:
    1 day between draft list release and start of draft = 24 hours
    1st 24 picks offset by 6 hours each = 144 hours
    2nd 24 picks offset by 3 hours each = 72 hours
    3rd 24 picks simultaneous = 0 hours
    Total time: = 216 hours or 9 real life days. Still a lot, but only 3 more than a normal live draft. We could also do the first 36 picks at 6 hours and the last 36 picks simultaneously and finish in 9 days.

If we take my suggestion above halt sims for 1-2 days for HOF game, home run derby, etc, then we can probably sim the life draft over 6 real life days without people freaking out too badly.

To have the live draft take place in increments different than the sim doesnt make sense from a coding perspective.
    Neither does stopping the sims for all that extra stuff.

Draft List Comes Out: April 4th
    Live Draft Starts with the 1st Pick: May 4th
    72 sims later everyone gets their players: July 15th

Super simple. The draft takes place every sim, whatever rate you choose to set your league at as commissioner. You wanna slow it down? Slow down the sim rate.
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979),[AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 1-0 (2122)

4 and 8 games a day = every 6 hours and 3 hours, respectively. How does my proposed draft schedule run differently than sim schedule from a coding perspective (or any perspective)?

I did suggest stopping the sim, but it occurs to me that a live draft could let the sims continue if the schedule was modified to include days off at the draft list release (e.g., no games). The point of the days off is to get as much as the draft done as quickly as possible without it dragging too deep into the schedule. The sims could start again during the draft.

I think a lot of owners would prefer a live draft that finishes at or around mid July, like it does currently, or sooner. And, I think owners would prefer extra time in the first round more so than in later rounds. No one needs or wants a full tick to select the 72nd pick.

Of course, I'll take a 72 tick (May 4th through July 15th) live draft over the forum draft.

Brian only has to look at Perry's league (Re-Draft Money League) to see how awesome a true Live Draft could really be. Especially if it were coded into the game.
    Are you a serious CSFBL competitor?
    Join Dynasty

Honestly I could care less if the game had a built in live draft because each league has a different model. As a commissioner I would love some standardized tools for running the draft on the forums such as generating a bbcode compatibile list, finding highest salary guys etc. I have this all in spreadsheets now but it's still annoying.
    Chi Beta Federation - Boston Revolutionaries / Boston Molasses Rebels
    Owner: 1996 - ??? (2005-2020; 15 real years)

27 World Series Wins
    34 League Championships
    49 Division Championships

Sign me up. Some sort of simple upgrade, would be great .

It really should be on top of to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by MeddlePAL View Post
    Honestly I could care less if the game had a built in live draft because each league has a different model. As a commissioner I would love some standardized tools for running the draft on the forums such as generating a bbcode compatibile list, finding highest salary guys etc. I have this all in spreadsheets now but it's still annoying.
    It will make a huge difference to preventing burn out, even if you are indifferent. It will be fine if the league commish can choose to opt out of the auto live draft, but I would make auto live draft the default.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12