Thread: App & Social Media (among other ideas)

Lightbulb App & Social Media (among other ideas)

Since we are in 2020 (and what a year it has been), I believe CSFBL could invest in itself and get active on social media. I am aware of the previous attempt, but things are different now and I'm sure much was learned during those efforts. As time goes on, these could be powerful resources to grow the community, including bringing in more users from the younger generation. With the userbase here, it would surprise me if there weren't some folks who have experience creating apps or using social media. Personally, I would be able to assist in these efforts, particularly on the social media side.

It may also be a good idea to give the players some life with randomly generated player faces. If you could come up with a face creation system where no 2 faces are the same, it would be ideal. It would also be cool to see a hometown/birthplace listed for each player. You could allow user customization for this. The game is amazing at it's core, and I believe with some effort could become something much larger if you were to implement some of these ideas.

Re: App & Social Media (among other ideas)

First, thank you for your kind words and your show of support -- it means a lot!

I'll be the first to admin that I am not a social media guru. Social media is just not my thing. That being said... it is a big part of the world we live in and I agree that we do not leverage it well.

That being said -- what are some of the ideas you have for leveraging social media as part of the game? What would be useful, fun, engaging, and worthwhile?

Regarding birthplace -- a simple idea, I would be curious as to how many others are interested. This falls into those "meaningless but fun" features -- for example, it would be interesting to (1) allow users to enter a postal code and to show all the "fake" players that are "near them".

Face algorithm -- interesting, if anyone has knowledge of any face generating algorithms I'd be interested in seeing this. I agree a face adds a LOT of color, and this would be a cool addition to the CSFBL experience.

Let me know your thoughts on social media, and if there are things you are willing to help with, we are always looking for people willing to support our cause.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    First, thank you for your kind words and your show of support -- it means a lot!

I'll be the first to admin that I am not a social media guru. Social media is just not my thing. That being said... it is a big part of the world we live in and I agree that we do not leverage it well.

That being said -- what are some of the ideas you have for leveraging social media as part of the game? What would be useful, fun, engaging, and worthwhile?

Regarding birthplace -- a simple idea, I would be curious as to how many others are interested. This falls into those "meaningless but fun" features -- for example, it would be interesting to (1) allow users to enter a postal code and to show all the "fake" players that are "near them".

Face algorithm -- interesting, if anyone has knowledge of any face generating algorithms I'd be interested in seeing this. I agree a face adds a LOT of color, and this would be a cool addition to the CSFBL experience.

Let me know your thoughts on social media, and if there are things you are willing to help with, we are always looking for people willing to support our cause.
    With regards to Social Media - the basic idea is that any content is better than no content. Any activity is better than no activity. Any page is better than no page. So the first step is to just have a page. If you set it up to autopost using a website, that would be the ideal setup. You could have a few Admins be able to submit posts manually, but I believe a key to the success would be to setup an automation system. I would have no problem helping set up these pages and help where I can. I don't know how much time I could realistically give, but I do have knowledge of social media and the algorithms and would be happy to share ideas.

If you could have it auto populate the biggest news stories from the biggest leagues (featuring champions and the biggest achievements from the more popular leagues), this would be ideal.

Each league could even have it's own Twitter/Instagram/Facebook account(s), if it desired. You could put it on the commissioners to create the accounts. Someone with expertise could write a news generator program to write scripts for articles/posts.

With a Face Algorithm, you probably have so many routes you could go. Simplicity, in my opinion, should be valued the most. You don't want the faces looking animated or like cartoons. CSFBL, I believe thrives with it's simplicity approach and I think you'd be good to stick with that approach here. I would recommend looking into how the video game consoles do game faces. They have a 3D image generated. For the purposes of this game you only need a 2D image generated. I think it would look cool if it could be similar to baseball player card pictures. In fact, you could even incorporate a player cards as it's own feature (an alternate way of looking at player profiles).

With both Face Algorithm and Home Cities, these could be options that could be turned on or off depending on the league. And you could really add a bunch of customization when it comes to home cities and themed leagues.

If you were able to implement some of these ideas, it could revolutionize the game in terms of popularity, especially if the younger generation could find the game in the App Store and download it.
    Last edited by KingRat; June 4, 2020 at 06:41 PM.
    Are you a serious CSFBL competitor?
    Join Dynasty

Some great ideas... and definitely different ways that different generations consume their entertainment.

I think you should poll the entire csfbl population, and confirm what we all believe... that we are a fairly old community. I'd bet an average age right around Brian's age.
    Founder & Former Commissioner [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    AA ReMake Commissioner (2124-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present) WS: 2-2 (2122-23)
    Omaha Storm Chasers [AAA ReMake] (2123-Present) WS: 1-1 (2132)

For a period of time Smittias was trying to push social media hard. I believe he is the one who made the twitter and facebook pages. Was cool to have results sent out on twitter.

https://twitter.com/csfbl
    https://www.facebook.com/ComputerSim...aseballLeague/

Definitely something that more of it = better. Doesn't hurt anything and can pull in new people / engage people who may not be aware of csfbl.
    Last edited by makila; June 4, 2020 at 09:19 PM.
    "As you get older, please pass on your knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm for life, love and charity to others when you feel it's appropriate and you are able to. There are always others in more need than us, and that's what life is about." - Anonymous

Here is some information from a secured website showing many different options for creating a simple app.
    Are you a serious CSFBL competitor?
    Join Dynasty

Re: Social Media: If the goal is to help bring in others, then it's really about marketing and drawing interest to the game. I don't think the appeal would be to allow end-users of CSFBL to post our results and such to social media, because quite frankly none of my Social Media "circles" would give a rats-rear about my CSFBL scores. So think of Social Media as a way to showcase the great things about CSFBL. We're not OOTB, but it's worth looking at how they manage their public image. They basically use their engine to predict real life outcomes and people find that sort of thing interesting especially when it successfully predicts the world series results before the season as it did a couple years back or gives people something to look at since baseball is shut down. So i'm not saying "do what they do", but CSFBL's social media presence is less about allowing end-users to integrate with Social Media and more about CSFBL just having a presence. If Brian or the site admins have their own league of historical players, you can build "dream teams" and face them off in a 7 game series. You can take the idea of the Negro League and reply historical seasons, things like that. Take advantage of whatever the latest trend is.. during "The Last Dance" go the whole "We simmed out the rest of Michael Jordan's career, here's what we think it might've looked like had he stuck to baseball!"

It'd take a ton of work to make it work. And my guess is Brian doesn't have that sort of time on his hands. But quite frankly, anything short of that is just another random account on a given platform that gets lost in a sea of millions of other accounts.

Would some people who actively play follow an account that essentially just posts results from the site (even jazzed up)? Sure. Probably the same people who are already active in the forums. I agree that "Any content is better than no content". But not all content is going to generate NEW players or NEW interest.

I took a quick look at the "old" content from 2018 on twitter and it's pretty decent actually. It's not what i was referring to above, but it was baseball driven content, some news about the site, visual, etc. Consistency is king. A single simple post every day with relevant content would over time grow a following.

RE: Faces. I may be in the minority, but at best i *tolerate* generated faces in online sims and at worst i despise them. Most of the time i think they make the quality and cleanliness of a site worse. It never stops me from playing, though, so it's just a personal preference. I would agree if faces are used, quality over cartoony is better.

RE: Hometown. I like this idea just because people love to cheer for people from their home city. I used to love to tell people Leanne Rhimes (lol) was from my hometown and Spud Webb went to highschool with one of my friend's dad, and Clayton Kershaw and Matt Stafford grew up "down the street" from me (which is really a city or two over, but i'll claim them). So yes, simple change that would also be "fun" to play with.

Regarding an app -- CSFBL web site is (mostly) mobile-first. Most pages will work well on mobile phones. And you can add an icon right to CSFBL: https://www.howtogeek.com/196087/how...one-or-tablet/

People love the idea of apps, but in the end it's just anohter way to deliver the same thing. A web page can be written and delivered to all sized platforms with one code base, and that's how we are proceeding. I wouldn't rule out an app -- but app app, to me, is a different game entirely, maybe a baseball simulator you play yourself (single player). I still think the web is the best delivery mechanism.

I'd like to see more ideas on the social media. Hometown is intriguing, if done right and done in a way to make it interesting. ("John Smith from your hometown just hit his 400th home run!") In the end, it's all just an interesting curiosity, and I know I'm one player out of thousands, so what do I know?

I can write a simulator of historic/real teams. In time... getting these MLB players in the game is a first step. I agree that most CSBFL stuff is meaningless to people outside their leagues -- but all CSFBL players and baseball fans may be interested in simulated leagues or competitions. How would Bonds do in 1927, or Babe Ruth do in 2001?

Well, it is an absolutely natural thing. Social media is the only thing that kept people sane during the pandemic and lockdown. It goes without saying that humans need interaction; this is critical for our mental health and cognitive development. On the other hand, we stagnate and become lazier and lazier. Ideally, we should use social media only for positive purposes, but we all know that this isn't necessarily true. People seek to grow their communities and buy tiktok and instagram followers, even if they don't have much to say!
    Last edited by milleryz; July 21, 2021 at 05:09 PM.

Whatever is done in terms of social media, I think having a presence that can be seen by potential new participants should be priority one. I first saw about CSFBL when it showed up randomly in my FB feed. It doesn't look like there is much activity along those lines these days. I've been participating since -- I think -- spring of 2020 (I'm sure the side header for this msg will have the correct date), and some of the leagues that I am in have more open slots than I've ever seen. Without attracting new people, leagues are resorting to soliciting current players to take on more teams...which *could* help but could also cause someone to drop one of their existing teams in a different league or -- in a worst-case scenario -- be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back and cause the player to decide that they are swamped and just drop the game entirely.

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but whenever we had one of those fundraisers for school, a youth sports team, etc., our first move wasn't to go up to the kid next to you and say that you'd buy two of their candy bars if they bought two of yours.

I have tried to recruit with my limited capability (i.e. asking a few people I know who do fantasy sports, and reaching out to anyone I notice in the forums who puts out a "I'm looking for a new team" message) but I think a more active social media presence coupled with people to respond quickly to any inquiries could go along way to increasing the participation base.