Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williamsburg owner addresses the forum

Williamsburg owner addresses the forum

In trying to maintain a regular schedule of at least one forum post every two month, unlike the rest of the league, which seems to be on a less strict forum posting regime, this particular owner wonders if we could maybe switch back to 8 games/day. Most rookies have settled in to their respective farm squads, even the most undiscerning AUTO pickers in the draft must have woken up since the draft started and thus, why can't we let it go and get some games in?

Also, Williamsburg started the season off hot and has since cooled down. Somehow, the team has the most runs scored though not leading in any offensive team category (but being near the top in many). The defense is partly good, partly adventurous. On the pitching side, the team tried to move to 5 starters but it made no sense. Williamsburg is back to 4 starters, even if in the near future a start every 4 games will exhaust team ace Boatner way too much. Some pitchers dropped from last year, so Williamsburg had to go fishing in the free agent waters with some success (and some failure).

Also, Williamsburg looks to trade away next years 1st and 2nd rounder (and from the season after, too, if needed). We are looking for middle infielders with RA of 90+ on the good side of 30 years of age.
    New one:
    New Britain Rock Cats - Remake AA
    Williamsburg TriPowers - Psi Phi (World Series 2078)

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    MLB Remake 2073 (Atlanta)
    MLB World 2055, 2076 (Thunder Bay)
    IFL 2043 (Pella)
    Baseball Legends 2037 (Alaska)

Williamsburg owner addresses the forum

Canyon Calm are in a rebuild after being 2-6 against division leader Williamsburg @Canyon. Fry and Pitts got the complete game wins and are available for picks. Clark has 181 wins and needs a change of scenery. Hopefully, @Williamsburg will be a friendlier park for my arms and bats.

Canyon Calm is loaded with RA for those teams that want to improve team ERA with one trade for picks or low PO, high FI/CO/FY prospect arms.

To match up team trade partners here is a high level look at RNG. For fun a added actual win percentage (Act W%), since my team is proving you cannot win a division on range alone and somehow Williamsburg winning without range.

Rank | Team | RNG | Act W % | GB WC (Lead +) |
    1 | Granite City | 3.56 | .635 | +10.5 |
    2 | Manchester | 3.51 | .596 | +6.5 |
    3 | Canyon | 3.51 | .462 | -6.0 |
    4 | Galilee | 3.47 | .548 | -1.0 |
    5 | Kansas City | 3.43 | .558 | +2.0 |

24 | Williamsburg | 2.88 | .596 | +9.5 |
    23 | Harlingen | 2.94 | .269 | -26.0 |
    22 | Trabuco | 3.05 | .337 | -27.0 |
    21 | Syracuse | 3.09 | .577 | +4.0 |
    20 | Detroit | 3.17 | .452 | -9.0 |

What is min W%? We may have a few teams in trouble on this list in addition to having 5 or 6 playoff contenders.

What do you think?
    PsiTclCarLYardMBLawn

Re: Williamsburg owner addresses the forum

Syracuse is also winning while being close to the bottom in RNG. But I think it has more to do with the number of strikeouts we get - 3rd in the league. RNG goes down if fewer balls are put in play. We have good RA at SS, 2B and CF. We sacrificed defense for offense for a long time, trying to get better on defense these days but we have won titles both ways in this league.
    Also I'd be fine with 8/day if people wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorgross View Post
    In trying to maintain a regular schedule of at least one forum post every two month, unlike the rest of the league, which seems to be on a less strict forum posting regime, this particular owner wonders if we could maybe switch back to 8 games/day. Most rookies have settled in to their respective farm squads, even the most undiscerning AUTO pickers in the draft must have woken up since the draft started and thus, why can't we let it go and get some games in?
    We don't have posting requirements, but more activity on the board would be great.

Also, we've always been 4/day...
    Spread the CSFBL love. Follow @Celtic_CSFBL and @csfbl.

How is this team RNG stat calculated anyway? A player's range is {PO + A}/games, but doing that for a team and then dividing that figure by 9 to account for 9 positions doesn't produce anywhere near the result the RNG number is listed as.

I agree with mr.hamburger in the belief that higher strikeout pitching staff would diminsh a team's range. I would further add that a groundball inducing staff would increase a team's range more than flyball pitchers because grounders are more likely to lead to fielding assists, thereby upping the number of total chances which leads to a higher RNG.
    Psi Phi: Williamsburg Tribe Power (Comm)
    Justice: Jefferson Airplanes ('22)
    TDD: Richmond Rebels (Comm) ('92, '99, '00, '34)
    Psi Sigma: Dillard Dictators (Comm) ('07, '49, '56)
    LCL: NY Lawn Mowers ('93)
    ANB: Edison Electricity ('23, "53)
    BBL: Philadelphia Federalists ('06, '29, '34, '38)
    Recycler: NOVA No Doze ('98, '00, '09, '19)
    VLR: Amritsar Destroyers ('98)
    EBB: Pennsylvania Powder Kegs ('36, '69)
    IBA: Lahaina Luau
    LOL: Fargo Frostbite
    CBF: Cradock Diablos ('59)

23/58 in World Series

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    We don't have posting requirements, but more activity on the board would be great.

Also, we've always been 4/day...
    As for the first, I was of course only making a what the latins called a "iokus". I was lazy mself, so who am I to blame?

As for the second, I wasn't aware of it. Really? Sorry, my mistake.
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    IFL 2043 (Pella)

Team RNG

I don't know about RNG for teams. Just to understand, RNG is counting outs per game per position (by adding putouts and assists, thus counting at how many outs a player participated). In the case of team RNG, you've got 27 outs per 9 nine innings, divided by 9 players, so if it's only putouts the RNG should be 3. Teams with lots of assisted outs should get a higher RA, of course, for the assists will be added. And that's the only difference possible: the more assists you have, the higher your range factor.

- only strikeouts: all putouts achieved by C (who should have a RF/9 of 27 while all others have RF/9 of 0)
    - lots of groundballs: chance for lots of assists
    - lots of flyballs: a slightly lesser chance for assists

Is that correct, anybody? So highest team RNG will be groundball staffs, followed by flyball staffs, and the smallest team RNG goes to strikeout staffs. That is for teams. Even whether the team has a good or bad defense should make no difference, because in RNG we only count outs, not how many at-bats the team allowed to get all 27 outs (or more, if tied). Correct? If so, then team RNG is more about the way your pitchers pitch than about the defense at all.

A question right here: does RNG allow for Errors as Outs not made? Because for individual players that would make sense, but for a team it again does not change a thing: still 27 outs to make.

Individual RNG

For individual players, it is entirely different, because here if one players helps in the out, someone else is not able to help. So if the SS ranges right and also makes the plays the 3B could have done as well, he gets as high a RNG as we see here in CSFBL (maxing at about 8.5) whereas the 3B then has a RNG of 0, because he didn't make any outs at all. So one guy gets more outs, others can't get those outs (for there are only 27 outs to share for the entire team). Thus, you get these, say, expected RNG ratings for very good players: 1B up to 11, 2B up to 8, SS up to 8, 3B up to 3, CF up to 3, corner OF up to 2.5, C up to 9. All of it strongly depending on pitching tendencies (K, left/right, GBFG ratio etc.) and altogether the team cannot make more than 27 outs (but usually maybe more because about 5-10 assists are added).

Did you know that the highest RF/9 for a SS in MLB history was a 7.05 by Hughie Jennings in 1895? That the highest career RF/9 for a SS was 5.27 by Bill Almon, who played for 15 seasons in 70s/80s? And the SS with the highest RF/9 in 2019 in the entire majors was Adalberto Mondesi with 4.57? So CSFBL seems to take RF/9 to the extreme.

Summing up for Williamsburg

Williamsburg seems to have a team RNG of less than 3 because either CSFBL is making a mistake, or because we lost some games where we only needed to pitch for 8 innings, which means non-walkoff away loss (though I'm not sure about this completely, for it's called RF/9 actually, thus prorated to 9 innings). Also, Williamsburg staff leads the league in Strikeouts (I was perplexed as well when I saw this), but still has lots of assists here and there, so I think team RNG either maybe makes no sense at all or is wrongly calculated by CSFBL. Also, as I said: the defense is not bad completely, it is partly good, the rest is adventurous. In any case, I don't think the team is as good as it looked at the beginning of the season, but it is maybe not as bad as #24 defensively. I think it's OK. I also wonder how long it will go, me having such a good team that I mostly inherited. I'll check the Canyon roster to see whom I like.
    Last edited by gregorgross; May 29, 2020 at 08:21 AM.
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    IFL 2043 (Pella)

RF for players is calculated as the number of putouts + assists/games, not prorated to 9 innings. Therefore, if your SS converts 8 chances without an error in a 16 inning opener, his RNG after 1 game will read as 8.00 not the more correct 4.50. Brian undoubtedly introduced this formula when he created the game in order to simply the calculation.

As for team range, Williamsburg has 2,949 putouts and 999 assists in 110 games. That is an average of 35.89 converted chances per game, which should equate to a team RNG of 3.99 rather than the listed 2.89.

23/58 in World Series

which would make Williamsburg the leader in that category but then the other teams RF was probably wrongly calculated as well.
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    IFL 2043 (Pella)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorgross View Post
    which would make Williamsburg the leader in that category but then the other teams RF was probably wrongly calculated as well.
    They were all way off! That calculation is incomprehensible to me.

23/58 in World Series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast