Thread: Baseball Career Simulator

Baseball Career Simulator

Hey everyone,
    I’ve been a fan of sports simulation games for a long time now and have found myself wanting more “be the player” games like MLB Road to the Show. There are a lot of baseball manager games out there but not many that let you play from the athlete’s perspective.

I’m a web developer and have been working on my own game, on and off, for close to 3 years now. My original goal was to create a 2 player baseball board game. You would could collect player cards with certain power ups that match the player. So Christian Yelich’s card would give you a higher chance for home runs when he’s at the plate.

I ended up looking at historic data and came up with a formula that let me “simulate” a plate appearance by mapping die rolls to certain outcomes. Rolling a 6 and a 1 would be a double, for example.

Once I got this all ironed out I created a prototype of the playing surface (a burlap sack painted to look like a baseball diamond) and played a few games against my wife. I think she beat me in the first game 4-3 in 10 innings.

That’s about as far as the board game got, though. I never showed it to anyone outside of my family.

I got distracted with other projects until the Brewers (big fan) almost made it to the World Series in 2018. I was all pumped up about how well they were playing and got the idea to adapt my board game prototype into a single-player browser game. That’s really where Baseball Star started.

My new goal was to create a game that focused on being the player instead of managing an entire organization. A baseball player’s journey is full of ups and downs and creating a game around this drama was intriguing to me.

After working weekends, taking some time off, and more distractions I’m so excited to finally launch the Baseball Star game.

The game starts (after you create/customize your player) at the moment when you were just called up to the majors. The GM of the team welcomes you to the team and lays out the expectations for the upcoming season. Games are simulated once every 3 hours between 8 am and 11 pm CDT. You can watch game recaps and see detailed play-by-play results for every game.

As your season progresses you earn “stars,” which are awarded based on your in-game performance, any awards your player receives, if your player breaks any sitewide records, and more.

These stars also determine your player’s rank on the Hall of Fame leaderboard and can be used to upgrade your player. You can use stars to increase your player’s hitting ability, how frequently they steal bases, their strikeout rate, and so on. (Note: Stars are earned and cannot be purchased.)

Your player will also move up, move down, or stay in the same spot in the batting order based on how well they’re doing.

Players can be picked as an All-Star and can potentially be chosen as the league’s MVP.

Throughout the season you can track the playoff race. Your player plays in MLB style playoffs if their team was good enough. 3 Playoff games are simulated per day.

Once the playoffs end and the offseason starts your player will be sent contract offers (if in a contract year), may see some natural age-related regression, or even be forced into retirement. If your player doesn’t receive any contract offers (bad stats or too old) then your player decides to retires. When this happens you can continue playing but have to create a new player. All retired players still show up on the leaderboards and record books.

I should note that every player in the game exists within their own simulation. Baseball Star is a single-player game so you’ll never face off against another real person. However, there is a Record Book, a Hall of Fame, player profiles, and a lot more that lets you “peak” inside of each simulation and compare your player with others.

There’s a lot more I could talk about but I feel like I’ve rambled on long enough. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Check out Baseball Star at https://baseball-star.com.

Hall of Fame
    Screenshots
    Example Game Recap
    Example Player
    FAQ
    Last edited by peb; April 26, 2020 at 12:25 AM.

Re: Baseball Career Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I’ve been a fan of sports simulation games for a long time now and have found myself wanting more “be the player” games like MLB Road to the Show. There are a lot of baseball manager games out there but not many that let you play from the athlete’s perspective.

I’m a web developer and have been working on my own game, on and off, for close to 3 years now. My original goal was to create a 2 player baseball board game. You would could collect player cards with certain power ups that match the player. So Christian Yelich’s card would give you a higher chance for home runs when he’s at the plate.

I ended up looking at historic data and came up with a formula that let me “simulate” a plate appearance by mapping die rolls to certain outcomes. Rolling a 6 and a 1 would be a double, for example.

Once I got this all ironed out I created a prototype of the playing surface (a burlap sack painted to look like a baseball diamond) and played a few games against my wife. I think she beat me in the first game 4-3 in 10 innings.

That’s about as far as the board game got, though. I never showed it to anyone outside of my family.

I got distracted with other projects until the Brewers (big fan) almost made it to the World Series in 2018. I was all pumped up about how well they were playing and got the idea to adapt my board game prototype into a single-player browser game. That’s really where Baseball Star started.

My new goal was to create a game that focused on being the player instead of managing an entire organization. A baseball player’s journey is full of ups and downs and creating a game around this drama was intriguing to me.

After working weekends, taking some time off, and more distractions I’m so excited to finally launch the Baseball Star game.

The game starts (after you create/customize your player) at the moment when you were just called up to the majors. The GM of the team welcomes you to the team and lays out the expectations for the upcoming season. Games are simulated once every 3 hours between 8 am and 11 pm CDT. You can watch game recaps and see detailed play-by-play results for every game.

As your season progresses you earn “stars,” which are awarded based on your in-game performance, any awards your player receives, if your player breaks any sitewide records, and more.

These stars also determine your player’s rank on the Hall of Fame leaderboard and can be used to upgrade your player. You can use stars to increase your player’s hitting ability, how frequently they steal bases, their strikeout rate, and so on. (Note: Stars are earned and cannot be purchased.)

Your player will also move up, move down, or stay in the same spot in the batting order based on how well they’re doing.

Players can be picked as an All-Star and can potentially be chosen as the league’s MVP.

Throughout the season you can track the playoff race. Your player plays in MLB style playoffs if their team was good enough. 3 Playoff games are simulated per day.

Once the playoffs end and the offseason starts your player will be sent contract offers (if in a contract year), may see some natural age-related regression, or even be forced into retirement. If your player doesn’t receive any contract offers (bad stats or too old) then your player decides to retires. When this happens you can continue playing but have to create a new player. All retired players still show up on the leaderboards and record books.

I should note that every player in the game exists within their own simulation. Baseball Star is a single-player game so you’ll never face off against another real person. However, there is a Record Book, a Hall of Fame, player profiles, and a lot more that lets you “peak” inside of each simulation and compare your player with others.

There’s a lot more I could talk about but I feel like I’ve rambled on long enough. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Check out Baseball Star at https://baseball-star.com.

Hall of Fame
    Screenshots
    Example Game Recap
    Example Player
    FAQ
    I created a player a few days ago just for fun, and he’s already broken the record for most RBI in a week!!!

Shain’t be long ‘til Larry Allen is elected into the HOF with 100.0% of the ballots

Quote Originally Posted by Book_Archer View Post
    I created a player a few days ago just for fun, and he’s already broken the record for most RBI in a week!!!

Shain’t be long ‘til Larry Allen is elected into the HOF with 100.0% of the ballots
    Haha! 11 RBI over 6 games is pretty good! Larry is off to a good start! Thank you for playing. https://baseball-star.com/leaderboard/records.php?id=5