Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-Run Losses.

1-Run Losses.

I'm so pissed. This is sickening.

I've sunk my heart and soul into this team. I've made multiple trades to improve offense and pitching.

I've had (19) 1-run losses this season.
    Instead of losing 10-9, like earlier in the season, they are losing games 2-1 and 1-0.

Team Run Differential: +34 (5th)
    Team Runs: 368 (3rd)
    Team Hits: 766 (2nd)
    Team ERA: 4.32 (13th, was 19th)

Team Wins: 36 (t 14th)

5 games under .500 and out of a playoff spot.

Is there any team unluckier?

Re: 1-Run Losses.

You see, I told you I'm from Berlin. From the eastern part, the one that was capital of the GDR before the wall came down. We had two big football clubs in East-Berlin, one that was the favourite club of the Minister of the Interior and the Staatssicherheit (Stasi), and another which started as a football club for locksmiths / metalworkers.

The former club was giving preferential treatment, played in the middle of Berlin and became eastgerman Champion for 10 years in a row. But it was the Stasi club. They had about 10.000 visitors a game.

The later club, 1. FC Union Berlin, was treated badly. They played on the outskirts. But they were the perennial underdogs and had about 20.000 visitors a game. That was the 80s. Because of the locksmiths heritage, they are called Eisern Union (which translates to Iron Union).

The former club today plays in the 5th league. My club today plays in the Bundesliga (if it was still playing). See this for english speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzuLyqLIfI

The thing about Union was, back in the 80s, we lost and lost and lost. But you wouldn't shout at the team, for this would mean the losses hurt you. You would laugh at your opponents when the score was 0-5: this is all you got? I remember a game in Koeln (after the wall came down) where we were beaten 0-7 and the Union fans who travelled to Koeln were singing louder than the Koeln fans. One of their songs was "Ganz enge Kiste" which translates to "This will be a very tight game". They were trashed and they were laughing.

And even today, fans for Union Berlin never whistle at their own players, never show bad emotion, for it is below us. We love this club no matter what. And in this respect, in the entire Bundesliga, there is just this one team that does it so. All the others, if it's not going the way they envisioned it, get into a bad mood. We don't.

What I mean to tell you is, whether you really love your team does not show when they are winning. It shows when they are losing.

As for being unlucky with Hartford, I can tell you that the statistical phenomen of "regression to the mean" usually means that soon you and your team will be very lucky. And in the end, it cancels out.
    New one:
    New Britain Rock Cats - Remake AA
    Williamsburg TriPowers - Psi Phi (World Series 2078)

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    MLB Remake 2073 (Atlanta)
    MLB World 2055, 2076 (Thunder Bay)
    IFL 2043 (Pella)
    Baseball Legends 2037 (Alaska)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorgross View Post
    You see, I told you I'm from Berlin. From the eastern part, the one that was capital of the GDR before the wall came down. We had two big football clubs in East-Berlin, one that was the favourite club of the Minister of the Interior and the Staatssicherheit (Stasi), and another which started as a football club for locksmiths / metalworkers.

The former club was giving preferential treatment, played in the middle of Berlin and became eastgerman Champion for 10 years in a row. But it was the Stasi club. They had about 10.000 visitors a game.

The later club, 1. FC Union Berlin, was treated badly. They played on the outskirts. But they were the perennial underdogs and had about 20.000 visitors a game. That was the 80s. Because of the locksmiths heritage, they are called Eisern Union (which translates to Iron Union).

The former club today plays in the 5th league. My club today plays in the Bundesliga (if it was still playing). See this for english speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzuLyqLIfI

The thing about Union was, back in the 80s, we lost and lost and lost. But you wouldn't shout at the team, for this would mean the losses hurt you. You would laugh at your opponents when the score was 0-5: this is all you got? I remember a game in Koeln (after the wall came down) where we were beaten 0-7 and the Union fans who travelled to Koeln were singing louder than the Koeln fans. One of their songs was "Ganz enge Kiste" which translates to "This will be a very tight game". They were trashed and they were laughing.

And even today, fans for Union Berlin never whistle at their own players, never show bad emotion, for it is below us. We love this club no matter what. And in this respect, in the entire Bundesliga, there is just this one team that does it so. All the others, if it's not going the way they envisioned it, get into a bad mood. We don't.

What I mean to tell you is, whether you really love your team does not show when they are winning. It shows when they are losing.

As for being unlucky with Hartford, I can tell you that the statistical phenomen of "regression to the mean" usually means that soon you and your team will be very lucky. And in the end, it cancels out.
    As a very famous (real) football coach yelled once here in the US...

"You play to win the game!"
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979)
    Former Commissioner [AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present)

As of today, July 3, 2120, all the teams with negative run differential are on top of the division and all the teams with positive run differential are at the bottom. This must be very frustrating if you own a team with a positive run differential, but it is just a very lucky/unlucky snapshot, though one that I never heard of. As I said, I don't understand what foul plans you have, letting me dream of running away with the division.

All other divisions have it the correct way around and Division 2 even has perfect run differential order. But then, that division is boring for the race is over there. Our division will not be boring, or as the chat says today, "pathetic". We have a race going on lasting until the last day.

Also, don't forget the correlation between Wins and Run Differential over a season is not perfect, but just 0.938515 (instead of a perfect 1.0).
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    MLB World 2055, 2076 (Thunder Bay)
    IFL 2043 (Pella)
    Baseball Legends 2037 (Alaska)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorgross View Post
    As of today, July 3, 2120, all the teams with negative run differential are on top of the division and all the teams with positive run differential are at the bottom. This must be very frustrating if you own a team with a positive run differential, but it is just a very lucky/unlucky snapshot, though one that I never heard of. As I said, I don't understand what foul plans you have, letting me dream of running away with the division.

All other divisions have it the correct way around and Division 2 even has perfect run differential order. But then, that division is boring for the race is over there. Our division will not be boring, or as the chat says today, "pathetic". We have a race going on lasting until the last day.

Also, don't forget the correlation between Wins and Run Differential over a season is not perfect, but just 0.938515 (instead of a perfect 1.0).
    https://www.csfbl.com/game/boxscore.asp?gameid=42584842&teamid=36346

My latest 1-run loss. My bullpen gives up 7 runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie it. To add insult to injury, a walk-off solo HR wins it for Tennessee in the 12th.

I have a feeling that I shouldn't have kept insisting that Derek Jeter was overrated. I got Brian's attention (a life long Yankee fan), and I think he's having some fun with this, at my expense. I'm not amused.

I quit trying to improve this team. They are a championship team that are hard coded to be incredibly unlucky.

Up to (24) 1-run losses now. Insane.

12-games under .500 and still have a positive run differential.

Cya guys next year... This team is ****.
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979)
    Former Commissioner [AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present)

How many 1 run wins do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by KingRat View Post
    How many 1 run wins do you have?
    10 wins.

I'm 10-24 in 1-run games. Part of that may be that 61 of my 104 games have been away. Of the 56 games remaining 37 will be at home.

If was 17-17 in those 1-run games, I would be 53-51, in a playoff spot, and only 3 games behind New Britain.
    Last edited by SlickLaptop; April 1, 2020 at 10:25 PM.

The following players were added to the roster midseason via trade:
    Fred McMillan
    Michael Cram
    Carlos Lopez
    Frank Roth
    Harvey Hessler
    Jamie Bernal

All have underperformed to some extent.

Also of note... regarding the last 13 (3) game series (since June 12th, 36 games)... I have gone 1-2 in every single series except one (2-1 vs Bowie). Most of this (11 series) has been against the AL. This team has been incredibly consistent, including (12) 1-run losses in this time frame (1 out of every 3 games).

At this rate I am on pace for (37) 1-run losses in a season. It must be a record of some kind.

Time is running out. Hartford has to play .607 baseball for the remaining 56 games - just to finish the season a .500 team. It's not looking good. If they play .500 baseball they will finish 74-86, and likely out of the playoffs, and probably still with the best (positive) run differential in the division.
    Last edited by SlickLaptop; April 1, 2020 at 09:57 PM.

I think Michael Cram is actually overperforming. He has a 4.10 career ERA and given you 105 innings of 3.41 ERA ball. When I traded for him, he didn't take to the scrambled eggs we mostly serve in the clubhouse buffet, and gave me 44 innings of 6.04 ERA ball. Lopez the same: ERA with Hartford better than career ERA.

What happens in our division is a bit extreme with regards to pythagorean expected records and true records. But you know, it wasn't funny for me as well, trading for Cram and getting a 6.04 ERA in return and the team going 5-32 after that trade. And I did it because I felt I was lucky to still hang in - turned out I shouldn't have traded, for I was already too lucky.

On the other hand, New Britain is 7 games over .500 and has not been able to supress their negative run differential while winning a lot of games recently (we started the season 13-22 and since then played 44-28 ball). So I truely doubt that New Britain will stay above .500. Maybe .500 is all it takes to win this division.
    Last edited by gregorgross; April 2, 2020 at 04:12 AM.
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings: