Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny stuff

Funny stuff

Just some random stuff I saw when looking at statistics in our league:

* this is a offense happy league with average league OPS about .800 (in MLB, it is about .740)
    * Canyon Calm leads the league in doubles (146) and triples (75) and is last in HRs (36)
    * Syracuse Potatoes almost does it the other way around: second-to-last in triples (11), but first in HRs (120)
    * Canyon Calm needs about 63 at bats per HR, Syracuse Potatoes about about 20 at bats
    * they say strikeouts are a price to pay if you hit lots of homeruns, but Manchester Divided leads the league in strikeouts (530), but is smack middle in HRs (68)
    * you'd think Canyon Calm is a fast team because of those many doubles and homeruns, but they still have 36 steals less than the league leader (Port Orange Power, 96) / on the other hand they have the best stolen base success rate of 83.3% (thus, they should steal more probably)
    * BUT: Canyon Calm also leads the league in BRO (base running outs, not buddy index between players and manager) with 20 / they probably run too aggressively as it is
    * my own team, the TriPowers, should never steal at all, it seems (11 runners out, only 13 successful stolen bases)
    * the Rockville Genoms pitching staff has 1.16 strikeouts per walk, which bodes no good for the future
    * Canyon Calm visitors don't enjoy many homeruns, as their pitching staff also gives up HRs only seldomly (just 38)
    * Granite City Thunders pitching staff allows opponent OPS of .688, Trabuco triples pitching staff allows OOPS of .878, yet their FIPS is 4.11 and 4.14 (this means that Granite City has fantastic defense and Trabucos defenders are all called CLONK)
    * hitters against Valle Forge Militia have a BABIP of .361 (so it appears Militia pitchers are a bit unlucky)
    * Granite City pitchers allow a BABIP of .253 (so it appears, their pitchers are a bit lucky)
    * defensively, TriPowers have a fielding percentage of .994 which leads the league (and I never thought I'd have a team good in fielding)

Maybe you like this, then please answer this thread, post something else in the forum or print "gregorgross is king" on the inside of your underwear.
    Last edited by gregorgross; March 21, 2020 at 08:05 AM.
    New one:
    New Britain Rock Cats - Remake AA
    Williamsburg TriPowers - Psi Phi (World Series 2078)

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    MLB Remake 2073 (Atlanta)
    MLB World 2055, 2076 (Thunder Bay)
    IFL 2043 (Pella)
    Baseball Legends 2037 (Alaska)

Re: Funny stuff

Cool stats! BABIP is definitely a bit different in CSFBL than in real life. My pitching staff's BABIP has consistently been around .250 for the past few seasons (in 2076, it was .235).
    "I didn't really say everything I said." -Yogi Berra
    71 World Series championships:

ALTRTA 93, 95, 09, 63, 66, 69, 76, 85, 86
    *AJO 81
    ACL 02, 13, 26, 31
    CBF 20, 23, 24
    *DPL 17, 21, 29, 32
    *EE 86, 88, 91, 03, 22, 31, 39, 56
    GOAT 11
    MLB 8s 83, 84, 97, 01, 03, 34, 79, 83, 85, 89
    *PCL 63
    PGML 86, 92, 21, 38, 39, 41
    PP 26, 35, 36, 38, 58, 74, 75, 77, 80
    *REV 16
    *RTTB (NCAA) 54, 56, 72, 76, 82, 95, 97, 03
    *SAL 01, 12
    *TER 67, 87
    *TAB 13, 14
    (*retired)

i was doing a deeper stats dive on why my team sucks *** this year, instead of just being average

only thing that makes sense is my BABIP is .358, probably my terrible defense but its the same as last year

Almost all of pitchers have an extra 1+ on their ERA, and my bullpen is rotating cast of garbage...

good - 6th in K/9
    good - top 3rd in HR allowed
    bad - lots of walks allowed
    bad - OAVG .309

I don't understand what I did to improve the Williamsburg defense, but improved it looks. Last year, Williamsburg offense was second-best in the league, this year they are in the lower middle. I play some players full now that we're in a platoon last year, maybe. But it seems this way, the team suits up better defensively: Williamsburg team ERA in 2078 was 4.78, this year it's 3.61. The entire team played in a very offense-friendly mode but has now become a run-suppressing environment. Much of it is just randomness, but some of it maybe goes down, in Williamsburg case, to better defense and maybe better age for pitchers.

Also, I see two owners answering the thread, no one else posting anything else in the forum, so I take it there are now 20 types of underwear with my name on it?
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    IFL 2043 (Pella)

Quote Originally Posted by MNTwinsFan1001 View Post
    Cool stats! BABIP is definitely a bit different in CSFBL than in real life. My pitching staff's BABIP has consistently been around .250 for the past few seasons (in 2076, it was .235).
    To expand on this a bit: defense is definitely the biggest part of it. When William Silva was in his prime, we had 90+ RA at 2B, SS, and CF, with solid defense everywhere else. Plus, most of the pitching staff has high FI and low PO. Compare Charles Warren to Ralph Mongillo: both of them have high FI, but Warren has higher SY while Mongillo has higher PO. The result is that Warren has a better BABIP and Mongillo has a better SO/9. Both pitchers have ended up with an OAVG of approximately .220.

*AJO 81
    ACL 02, 13, 26, 31
    CBF 20, 23, 24
    *DPL 17, 21, 29, 32
    GOAT 11
    *PCL 63
    PP 26, 35, 36, 38, 58, 74, 75, 77, 80
    *REV 16
    *RTTB (NCAA) 54, 56, 72, 76, 82, 95, 97, 03
    *SAL 01, 12
    *TER 67, 87
    *TAB 13, 14
    (*retired)

I've done administrative stuff in a couple other things while marathoning Better Call Saul and reading two books.

I've learned I don't have enough books. Any recommendations?

Springfield is up and down. My offense is good. My defense is average. My pitching is ghastly.
    Spread the CSFBL love. Follow @Celtic_CSFBL and @csfbl.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    I've done administrative stuff in a couple other things while marathoning Better Call Saul and reading two books.

I've learned I don't have enough books. Any recommendations?
    I answer with my current mail signature:

Thanks and cheers,

Gregor Gross

PS: If that’s interesting to you, I’m currently reading "Salvaged" by Madeleine Roux and "Doughnut Economics" by Kate Raworth
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    IFL 2043 (Pella)

Quote Originally Posted by MNTwinsFan1001 View Post
    To expand on this a bit: defense is definitely the biggest part of it. When William Silva was in his prime, we had 90+ RA at 2B, SS, and CF, with solid defense everywhere else. Plus, most of the pitching staff has high FI and low PO. Compare Charles Warren to Ralph Mongillo: both of them have high FI, but Warren has higher SY while Mongillo has higher PO. The result is that Warren has a better BABIP and Mongillo has a better SO/9. Both pitchers have ended up with an OAVG of approximately .220.
    Nothing is an accident with Granite City, as that team has been superbly managed for ages. I had to check to see when I added you in to Psi Phi---apparently it was June 23, 2010 and it looks like I posted the welcome message on my birthday June 24---, but I distinctly remember wanting to recurit you to Psi Phi after so much success with that First Minnesota Intrepid Infantry team in the long gone True American Baseball League.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorgross View Post

I’m currently reading "Salvaged" by Madeleine Roux and "Doughnut Economics" by Kate Raworth
    Doughnut Economics is an interesting name for a theory, so I looked it up, and it's quite a fitting topic to think about during a pandemic which may be a result of environmental imbalance. Which countries do you think are the most efficient in terms of this model? I'd say the US has a ways to go to be the top ranked country here, whereas your homeland of Germany looks solid.
    Psi Phi: Williamsburg Tribe Power (Comm)
    Justice: Jefferson Airplanes ('22)
    TDD: Richmond Rebels (Comm) ('92, '99, '00, '34)
    Psi Sigma: Dillard Dictators (Comm) ('07, '49, '56)
    LCL: NY Lawn Mowers ('93)
    ANB: Edison Electricity ('23, "53)
    BBL: Philadelphia Federalists ('06, '29, '34, '38)
    Recycler: NOVA No Doze ('98, '00, '09, '19)
    VLR: Amritsar Destroyers ('98)
    EBB: Pennsylvania Powder Kegs ('36, '69)
    IBA: Lahaina Luau
    LOL: Fargo Frostbite
    CBF: Cradock Diablos ('59)

23/58 in World Series

Doughnut Economics is an interesting name for a theory, so I looked it up, and it's quite a fitting topic to think about during a pandemic which may be a result of environmental imbalance. Which countries do you think are the most efficient in terms of this model? I'd say the US has a ways to go to be the top ranked country here, whereas your homeland of Germany looks solid.
    It is a very different model of economics. For instance, in our current economic model there is no part for unpaid work like what females very often have to do at home: handling the kids and the household. The current model basically says this work is unpaid so how can we incorporate it into our statistics? And so, it is left out. But could all the men really go to work just like that if the females wouldn't put the meal on the table, wash the clothes, care for the kids? (I am speaking of very conservative households) The thing is, the guy who invented most of this model, Adam Smith, was living as an adult at the home of his mother and she did all the work at home, whereas he wrote books about economical models and forget the work his mother did for him. So the current model is wrong and the way it is wrong is also impacting on us. Same goes for the commons: what are they, how do we treat them? Is nature our commons? Is air our commons?

The Donut means that basically we can do some stuff too little, which means many of us hurt (like getting too little food out of the fields, so only rich people can affort it) or we can do stuff too much (like getting so much wood out of a wood that there is no tree left) which'll also hurt us. We have to do not too little and not too much. Now think of like 8 things we have to do as a species to survive on this planet (health, food etc.) and you get a Donut of correct behaviour (too little, we die / too much, Earth dies).

I agree that in some aspects Germany is maybe a bit more careful with respect to the commons etc. But we do lots of stuff wrong as well, as we cling to the old, current economical model the same way, but maybe not as much.

Dooughnut Economics tries to overthrow the current economical model we have. It all makes sense, I think. It is very important, maybe the second most important economical book ever, right after Antifragility by NN Taleb.
    New one:

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    IFL 2043 (Pella)

Thanks Benny, it's always good to hear from you. It's hard to believe that I've been in this league for nearly a decade!

*AJO 81
    ACL 02, 13, 26, 31
    CBF 20, 23, 24
    *DPL 17, 21, 29, 32
    GOAT 11
    *PCL 63