Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet the Owners - Real Life

Meet the Owners - Real Life

Okay, I'm going to try something here. Going to try and throw out some real life about me and see if we can build this community back up to its glory days that some of our veteran owners remember it being.

I joined CSFBL back around 2014 based on a friend who played. He introduced me to the game and I've loved it ever since. I will be honest, sometimes CSFBL comes and goes in waves. Real life can get in the way and it just has to go on the back burner for some time. I am 40 years old, a PE teacher and coach at a high school in Southern Illinois. I grew up in Kansas, so rooting for the Royals (Chiefs, KU Jayhawks, Sporting KC, etc) comes with the territory. The Chiefs SuperBowl victory will help the rebuild that is going on in the Royals organization, so I think I can make it. I'm married with two kids (11 & 9) and am usually teaching or coaching, so being locked in my house with my family may become a true test with everything that is going on.
    I have two teams, Remake and another in PGML which has been a lot of fun with how the free agency goes. So both leagues that I am in are vastly different, so I can't say that I have a favorite. I can be a little passionate about the game (my wife has other words for it), so much so that I created Excel sheets and other organizational tools to keep both teams and plans in order. I inherited the Phillies in Remake and just won the World Series, so I will hold off beating my chest about it. I have a 2B Pedro Stillwell, that might be the best player I've ever had on any roster and I can make a solid argument that he is a Top 5 player all-time in Remake history.

Would love to know more about who is in our Remake Community. Kudos to Slick's post about the Broxton Award and our league admins for keeping up with everything Remake oriented.

TerrierPride

MLB ReMake
    - Philadelphia Phillies (WS 2119)
    Peter Gammons Memorial League
    - Southern Illinois Miners
    College World Series
    - UCLA Bruins

Re: Meet the Owners - Real Life

Great post. I'm sure I did this before, albeit a VERY long time ago. A lot has changed since then.

I started CSFBL in late 2001 or early 2002. I don't remember how I found the game. CSFBL was actually still version 3.0 at that time (currently, it is now 4.0). I started a league and recruited owners, with the concept of "re-making" or re-writing history. I picked 1970 as the start date, which had the basic league structure that we have always had in CSFBL (2 Leagues, 2 Divisions each, 6 teams each). I made some exceptions (real life history in parenthesis). The Milwaukee Brewers would become stay the Seattle Pilots (1969), the Houston Astros would stay the Houston Colt .45s (1962-1964), the Washington Senators (eventually Texas Rangers version) would be replaced by the Toronto Blue Jays (1976-), the Atlanta Braves would stay in Milwaukee (1953-1965), and the Dodgers would stay in Brooklyn (1884-1957). I never really considered that at 4-8 sims/day, ReMake would eventually overtake real life, and eventually project so far out into the future.

I worked closely with Brian and Wayne (goalkeepr) to get the league off the ground. Brian even took on a team (the New York Yankees, who were changed to the Baltimore Orioles the following season), but he quickly realized he didn't have time to have a team and improve the game, and have a real life. On April 1st, 2002, MLB ReMake was erased and started over in CSFBL v4.0 (current version). I believe we had only 1 or 2 seasons during the v3. In any case, we weren't able to bring anything over. We started from scratch.

Time went by, real life happened. I got married, worked a helluva lot. I stopped playing CSFBL - didn't have the time. By this time, I had left MLB ReMake anyways, to focus on AAA and AA ReMake. I had already transitioned leadership to others. Overall it was a great run, and a great core of guys - very few, if any, who are left.

In real life, I got divorced and went back to school. I am graduating (God-willing) in 7 weeks with a doctorate of pharmacy degree. I am 37 years old. I have (2) boys, ages 12 and 10. I love to travel. I've traveled to Peru, Switzerland and the Philippines - and through countless others.

I transitioned to a Boston Red Sox fan in 2003. It's a long story. Basically, I grew up in a Red Sox household. I was taught to hate everything New York. Of course, I was the rebel, and decided that my socks would be white, not red (even though I had never been to Chicago). I was never a Yankee fan - I wanted to eat and have a place to live, after all. But, the 2003 Red Sox were the biggest story in New England, and I since I didn't associate with Yankee fans, most of my friends were going nuts. With my Yankee hatred, it was simply inevitable. Brett F'n Boone sealed the deal for me. I bawled my eyes out as I saw Tim Wakefield crying on the mound at Yankee Stadium. From that point on, I was a Red Sox fan. Thankfully, the next year, 2004 was one of the best moments of my life.

I have a lot of fond memories, and obviously a lot of sentiment for this community. It's been almost two decades of real life. I disappeared for about 1/2 of that time, but I'm back now. I have the time. I love numbers, excel spreadsheets, and arguing how overrated Derek Jeter was. Today, I am the owner of the Hartford Yard Goats in AA ReMake. I look forward to becoming more involved in the community, and I hope a small part of my enthusiasm will rub off on some of you.

Slick
    Last edited by SlickLaptop; March 17, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979)
    Former Commissioner [AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present)

I've been here just about as long as Slick. I must have started just after version 4.0, as it was April or May of 2002. I love statistics and baseball. When I was a kid I actually made up my own baseball game with dice. I used the entire MLB league structure, and would do games with every team, and keep track of the statistics. I can't remember if I was actively looking for a fantasy baseball game, or just happened upon it, but started with a public 2 game a day league. That really got boring pretty quick, so I was wanting an 8 game league and got into Coors Field, which I think was just starting. That was where I was hooked, and it helped having a stud 1B in Tom Sutton who set some power records there. A few months in I was recruited by another Remake member to take over the Tigers (it may have even been Slick), which was perfect. So I became the new owner in December 2002 (1976 season). I have to be honest in that I really didn't know what I was doing to be competitive back then (well, I really don't know much more now). I was terrible at drafting. Back then you didn't have accurate scouting. I had no idea about over/underscouted players and how to extrapolate the real scouting. I love having good pitching, but I never seemed to have good pitchers. Matt Kemp was really my only success there. It was always a struggle in the AL East playing with Goalkpr. I didn't make the playoffs much, won the WS twice. Then came 2059. I had won the world series in 2053, and then my team started to slide. We lost 96 games in 2058, and expected much the same in 2059. Unfortunately the team imploded that year as we only won 49, so I got the boot. By then I was burnt out. We were having quite a lot of turnover in the league, and I just wasn't having much fun, so I just took a step away. I think it lasted a year and a half. I got back into the Remake AA league, and ended up taking over the California Angels. By the grace of the big man, the owner of the Tigers left shortly after, so I was offered the chance to take over the Tigers again. To be honest it has been a struggle as my enjoyment has waned. The community is a big part of the fun, and really all of the leagues have been crickets the last couple years. So it would be great to see this league back to the hay days.

A little more about me, I'm 45, married with three kids. I do estimating for a sheet metal manufacturer, so I get to work with dollars/numbers all day. Of course I'm a big Tigers fan. I collect Tigers cards and a little memorabilia. I'm a cheapskate, so it's a challenge having a hobby like that. Currently I'm on a kick of collecting autograph cards, along with my long term project of base cards (currently around 5,600).
    Last edited by Grimm; March 19, 2020 at 09:37 AM.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-0
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:3-0
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:2-0
    Past

Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1
    PGML-Musk. Clippers 2033-2037 WS:0-1
    Tilted Tables-Pilots 1991- WS:2-6

Hi all,

I'm still a baby, only been here a couple of weeks so it's difficult to say much about the game, especially with so much down time lately. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on
    I've taken control of the Birmingham Baron, I'm doing ok, not sure if I'll get close to the play offs but who knows, i'm trying.

Personally, I'm from the England, I'm into Football (Soccer), Rugby, Cricket etc. All good British sports. I've friends and family living in Canada who forced me to watch the Toronto Blue Jays about 3/4 years ago. I watch as many games as I can, I understand the mechanics of the game but not the stats. Part of joining here was to learn more of the details of the game. I really enjoy baseball, I think it's an awesome sport, I would love to visit and watch a game or 3 live sometime.

I'm a software developer and I'm really interested in how the sim is built. I'm look at ways to build my own basic sim just as a personal project as it really interests me.

Great idea to get this started and try and get a better sense of everyone around us in our favorite baseball sim. I found the site during my senior year of high school in 2008 while I was researching for a fantasy baseball draft and trying to find some kind of advanced simulations to get an insight on data. I had dabbled in a few leagues, but I found my first league in Red Sox Nation, taking over a team that had been in disrepair for quite some time, and quickly being able to turn it around. I was instantly hooked on being able to check on my team every couple of hours. I won a couple titles in that league, and found the ReMake community shortly after - My team the first time around was the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. I spend a couple of seasons with that franchise, never making too much hay, and eventually worked my way up to AAA by 2039 or so as the skipper for the New Orleans Zephyrs. I continued to play pretty heavily my first few years of college, and got hooked on a couple start up leagues with different concepts (Canadian Baseball - Canadian Themed teams, Independent Baseball - name speaks for itself). Like some of the others, I got burned out somewhere along the way, and after graduation, my time wasn't the same. During some down time at work during September of last year, I found my way back to the site, and it quickly reminded me of what drew me to the site in the first place. Currently I head up the Tennessee Smokies in AA along with having a squad in Xtra Bases, Light Sabers and Blasters, and a public league team named after my favorite minor league club the Vermont Lake Monsters (long story).

In real life, I was a student at the University of Minnesota back then, with a major in Political Science, and minoring in History, Sport Management, and English. After graduating, I took a job at an insurance company that was pretty mindless, but it gave me an opportunity to pursue off-the-clock passions such as stand up comedy. I did stand up comedy for 4 years before deciding that I wanted more out of my professional pursuits and deciding that comedy wouldn't pay the bills. I've worked in the durable medical equipment industry for the last 4 years in sales support helping doctors get their patients covered for devices before taking a new job at an insurance brokerage 3 weeks ago as a client manager. I'm 28 and live with my girlfriend in a suburb of Minneapolis called Edina. When I'm not logging into CSFBL or working, I spend as much time as I can outdoors, and am heavily involved in bowling - I was appointed to the board of the St. Paul USBC 700 club last year.
    OLD:
    RSN - Bayside River Cats (2019-2040) (2021), (2023), 2032, (2034)
    CB - Purdue Boilermakers (1972-1995) (1989)
    IB - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (1950-1961) 1954

NEW:
    Remake AA - Tennessee Smokies (2116-)
    Remake AAA - Albuquerque Isotopes (2120-)
    XB - Norwich Sea Unicorns (2089-)
    Nu Upislon Xi - Vermont Lake Monsters (1981-)

I grew up in a village in northern Illinois. Sports was for everyone. Any age, any gender, any skill level played baseball in sandlot games almost every day of summer. My friend and I were so into baseball, we drew a strike zone with chalk, not unlike what you see on the TV now, on the school brick wall. One would pitch, the other hit using a rubber ball. Various places were designated as the out, single, double, HR so fielding wasn’t needed but fetching the ball sure was!. We used MLB players of the time, circa 1972, and would bat right handed or left handed depending on the player at bat. Oh, and we would use that teams exact MLB lineup, not random players. I was usually the Pirates, he was usually the Red Sox.
    Watching the Cubs on TV was the thing back then. The Saturday game of the week and the playoffs/World Series were the few times I got to see many AL players. My, how times have changed! Naturally, as a young fellow I was a Cubs fan. Everyone was a Cubs fan in the world as far as I knew. That was until a very old man who lived next door invited me in to watch a game. For a few years, I had been shoveling snow off his sidewalk and driveway, raking his leaves and sometimes mowing his lawn with my push mower. Not a motorized push mower. I mean a rotary bladed mower that required speed to turn the blades fast enough to cut. He was pretty old and almost never seen but his nurse/maid would come out and give me $5 when I was finished, sometimes invite me into the kitchen for a glass of lemonade. One summer day, the nice lady asked me if I would like to visit with the old fella. She told me he wanted to talk with me. I’m sure this was the late 1960’s and he was old so I never gave it a second thought. That was another time so you don’t need to gasp! Anyway, he was watching the White Sox on TV when I met him. The White Sox were played on a UHF channel which our TV antenna could never pick up much of a signal. His was crystal clear and I was amazed! He showed me a baseball with all the White Sox signatures all over it. I wish I could remember the year but it was yellowed severely so I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t from the 1940’s. In that visit and more after, my young mind began to look beyond the Cubs as a team I wanted to root for. For a short time I would tell my friends I am a Cubs and White Sox fan, garnering looks of disdain and sometimes words I shall not put here.
    I played Little League baseball beginning at the ripe old age of 9. I sucked and was the backup catcher and right fielder. Everyone who knows anything about baseball knows that is the ultimate bummer for an aspiring player. I quickly realized this is not sandlot baseball and began to practice with anyone I could get to pitch to me, whether it be as catcher or hitter. I was the starting catcher in year 2. By year 3 I was an all-star although I believe that was mostly due to having to catch a fireballing lefty which ended up with me having welts on my chest, a thumb so sore I had to resort to add padding in my catchers glove and who knows how many blows to the facemask. Football would have been less painful! It wasn’t that I couldn’t catch his pitches, including nasty curves, but them dang hitters just caught a piece way too many times. His K/9 had to have been somewhere near 20.
    It was through Little League baseball that I became a Milwaukee Brewers fan. Up until that fateful summer of 1971 I had never seen an MLB stadium not named Wrigley Field. But that summer, my Little League announced we were taking our annual end of year outing to Milwaukee. In case you are wondering, our location was almost an equal distance between Chicago and Milwaukee. I have no idea if it was becoming more mature or just a new experience but when I looked upon the inside of Milwaukee County Stadium it looked so much bigger and brighter than I remember Wrigley Field ever looking. It was literally love at 1st sight.
    I just realized I’m going overboard and better fast forward to the now. I came upon CSFBL by chance as I was looking for a way to play simulation baseball on my computer. I had no idea this type of simulation existed. The numbers were overwhelming to me but since there was a Mentor League available, I gave it a shot. I was horrible but considered it a challenge and now I have a clue 3 years later.
    I’ve studied accounting and electronics.
    I’m 60, live in Orlando Florida. I’ve worked in the manufacturing and logistics fields mostly.
    I have a beautiful daughter and a beautiful granddaughter.
    My pastimes have been spent woodworking, teaching myself to build web pages, renovating houses and working on cars.
    I am currently writing a novel in my spare time.
    Last edited by Fyewiks; March 19, 2020 at 07:53 PM.

For my general biography, I'll give you the one I used officially in english for a long time:
    -----
    Gregor was born Anno Domini 1973, shortly after the late Bruce Lee died. Whether a transmigration of souls really took place is still up for debate. A mere 34 years later, the path of his life led him to Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia, where he learnt alot about the creative problem solving monster that was buried deep in his mind.

Since Australia, Gregor is interested in Startups, Technology and the future of man and machine (blogging about it at his own blog at denkpass.de). Educated as bricklayer, civil engineer and MBA, he's applying Lean Startup principles to existing and new ventures, ranging from hardware development (alpha-board.de) to children room accessoirs (lieblingskaro.de) as well as some areas even he has not yet heard of.

Gregor always tries to work in a way that makes him smile while working, loves to procrastinate with books and more books and thinks his risotto is epoch-making. On sunday mornings at 5:32 am, when his sons wake him rudely, he longs for a time management that gives him time to sleep.
    ----

As for baseball: I started following baseball in the 90s after watching the movie with the Indians (don't know what it's called in english, the one with Charlie Sheen, you know). Then in Germany there was baseball for free on TV. I think it was NBC on Friday Night that was televised. And soon after the movie, I happened to see this game on TV: Cleveland was down 9-2 before coming back to win 12-10 on a Manny Ramirez grand slam. So I turned TV on to see how the Indians from the movie would play and they delivered this game in which they looked dead before coming back from a 7-run-deficit. I was hooked!

Then I started to play myself in Germany, which is amateur sport on real dirt, not on the red looking sand you all call dirt. It went nowhere, but I started to play online football with a football game by Sierra. You could draft and trade players and you could design and set plays for certain situations etc. In the end, you could simulate games with the plays and playbooks of the other manager. We had a forum and we had sort of a newsletter etc. Soon after that I went out looking for online baseball manager simulations (in between were years where I did other stuff). Some day I found CSFBL, and soon later I had like ten teams and was working my way up Remake (I was in committee member in all three levels and commish in AA and MLB, I think). I never won that many World Series, but mostly fielded competitive teams more often than not.

Then again, it was too much for me (and I never got Cleveland in Remake MLB, but Atlanta of all the teams! Atlanta, which was one of the three times I personally have seen the Indians lose in a MLB World Series!!!!). Alas, I won a World Series in Remake MLB with Atlanta. But I left.

And now I'm back, starting all over in Remake AA with New Britain, drowning the forums with all my stupidity and scrambled eggs-postings. This time my plan is to win a World Series on every level before getting Cleveland in MLB. But don't fear anything, this is the plan. It's not always what I do, it's just what I plan to do.
    New one:
    New Britain Rock Cats - Remake AA
    Williamsburg TriPowers - Psi Phi (World Series 2078)

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    MLB Remake 2073 (Atlanta)
    MLB World 2055, 2076 (Thunder Bay)
    IFL 2043 (Pella)
    Baseball Legends 2037 (Alaska)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorgross View Post
    It went nowhere, but I started to play online football with a football game by Sierra.
    Real football? That real men in the US play?

Or that round thing the ladies kick around in Germany?
    (0:2 Ger<SKorea)
    Founder [ReMake Community, MLB ReMake, AAA ReMake, AA ReMake]
    Former Commissioner [MLB ReMake] (1970-1975, 1977-1979)
    Former Commissioner [AAA ReMake] (1990-2010)
    AA ReMake Committee Representative (2120-Present)
    Chicago White Sox [MLB ReMake] (1970-1987) WS: 3-3 (1971, 1972, 1973)
    Los Angeles Dodgers [MLB ReMake] (1988-1989)
    St. Louis Cardinals [MLB ReMake] (1990-1991)
    Rochester Red Wings [AAA ReMake] (1997-2010) WS: 1-0 (2003)
    Hartford Yard Goats [AA ReMake] (2119-Present)

Quote Originally Posted by SlickLaptop View Post
    Real football? That real men in the US play?

Or that round thing the ladies kick around in Germany?
    (0:2 Ger<SKorea)
    The American one, with Front Page Sports Football by Sierra.

(1:7 Bra-Ger)
    New one:
    New Britain Rock Cats - Remake AA
    Williamsburg TriPowers - Psi Phi (World Series 2078)

Old one:
    Atlanta MLB Remake
    Omaha AAA Remake
    Laredo Simusports
    Texas MLB Classic
    El Paso Baseball Legends
    Pella IFL
    Alaska Psi Phi
    Thunder Bay MLB World
    Seattle ALTRA

Rings:
    MLB Remake 2073 (Atlanta)
    MLB World 2055, 2076 (Thunder Bay)
    IFL 2043 (Pella)
    Baseball Legends 2037 (Alaska)

Hi all,

I found CSFBL in the spring of 2008. I was home on disability, after contracting meningitis. So I needed something to fill up my time, and occupy my imagination. Over the years I’ve been playing, I have had very active periods, and not so active periods. I love the game of baseball, and this game of CSFBL is the next best thing!

In real life, I am a facility maintenance specialist. Just a fancy way of saying we do it all, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on. - Jimmy Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast