Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1991 Highlights

1991 Highlights

I figure it would be a good time to get the discussion on the upcoming season going

1) How many wins do you project for your squad this season? What is the outlooks and goals for the season?

2) How is your next season and future seasons shaping up

3) What are your teams biggest strengths and weaknesses?

Looking forward to a fun 1991 season. Good luck to all

Re: 1991 Highlights

1) I don't project more than 70 wins for my squad this season. The goal is to win as many games as possible, but playoff chances are going to be slim to none when comparing rosters with the teams in my division.

2) Next season, I do expect a big jump in wins. Arizona has some talent developing in the lows and decent roster balancing tactics I believe are being employed. Losing Robert Williams is going to be tough, but other arms will be able to step in. 21 year old Harry Goldner is going to have a 3 year career and take a development year as a freshman. 20 year old 1B/DH slugger George Curtis gets a Gray Shirt, and should be able to contribute for a solid 3 or 4 year career. SS Levi Jacques (18) will be able to help the defense for 4 quality seasons. Colin Robards has plenty of time to grow into a 4 year SP 1 or SP2. CF Vernon Pitts gets a Gray Shirt as he will be able to help on defense and has an explosive bat.

3) Our pitching is mediocre at best. Robert Williams is entering his senior season and poised to have a 3.60 ERA type season, but that probably won't be enough. No other pitcher stands out as a viable SP2 or SP3 option.

Our defense isn't horrible, but our lineup leaves a lot to be desired with only a few high quality bats. This season is going to be a struggle but the writing is on the wall and thus our expectations.
    Last edited by KingRat; March 5, 2020 at 04:39 AM.

Despite having the top pitching prospect in William White and a top 10 prospect in Ray Isbell, Bay Area newspapers are still picking Stanford to finish in the bottom 3 in the West.

Pitching continues to be the crux of the problem of the team with constant ERA's from the high 4's and low 5's. Hitting averages about .260.

Despite all this, if the recruitment in the future is as good as this past year then the promise of good times may return to Palo Alto.

Penn State is Looking for the fourth .500 Season in a row and Project to make it with close 80 wins.

Big strength is our defense and especially our Pitching. The Team had the 5th best defense last Season, Looking on earned runs and we are hopeful to Keep our strong defense up

Big strenght is that all four SP return. The Defense is slightly weaker, but close to our last Seasons Quality.
    Star Closer Charlie Okelly, who struggled hard last Season is replaced by the strong Set up man Steve Ronquillo.

Big Problem is the penn State offense. The Team loose some power again but improve in OPB Hitting. We add some good hitters, including new juco SS Bob McGrane and contact hitter John Foggleman.

Future Looks bright for Penn State, who still have some Players signed to take over some keypositions.
    With Derionte Blaze we train a new Catcher for the Seasons 92 and 93.
    Michael Pitts is a new potential CF.
    Pierre Henderson and Michael Boyer are potential new SP, while James Bland is another potential SP for Season 93.
    Last edited by Ruse; March 5, 2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Championships:
    FrontOffice Baseball: Houston Astros 2101, 2102, 2106
    Historical Replay: New York Yankees 1939
    Major League Baseball: Chicago White Sox 2106
    Lightsabers and Blasters: Kuat City Commodores 2082

Texas will likely start a trek down the standings. Two seasons ago we won back to back championships and now only 1 starting pitcher remains from the 1989 team. Christopher Merrill saw a big drop last year, with his ERA going up almost a run with the depleted defense behind him.

The offense will rule the day for us. The SR class of Frank Bunting, James Morris and Manuel Barger will lead the offense for the last time. Barger needs just 32 HR to claim the school record in that category.

The pitching had some bright spots last year which let the offense take us to 93 wins. There is no bright spot in the rotation this year so I think the offense can only take us so far. 85 wins would be a successful season with this squad.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRat View Post
    I figure it would be a good time to get the discussion on the upcoming season going

1) How many wins do you project for your squad this season? What is the outlooks and goals for the season?

2) How is your next season and future seasons shaping up

3) What are your teams biggest strengths and weaknesses?

Looking forward to a fun 1991 season. Good luck to all
    This might be the worst team I have ever had in any league. Cupboard was bare when I took over. Maybe 60 wins.

UNC is hard to predict. Our pitching is solid, and we still have stud Welborn acing the staff, but our offense is full of holes, none of which got filled in recruiting (got more pitching!). So, we will again run a 4 man rotation, but with better options around Welborn.

I think we have a shot at returning to the playoffs, but it'll be close, probably 85ish wins.
    2ML 1906, 1928, 1931, 1968, 1990, 1991, 1995
    BD 1993,1994, 2004, 2041, 2044, 2064, 2065
    CBF 2056, 2060, 2071, 2075, 2087, 2088, 2092, 2105,2106,2116,2137,2138
    CWS 1953, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1976, 1984
    HR 1903, 1906, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1934, 1943, 1950, 1953, 1955
    CarL 2026, 2039, 2055
    74-55 WS

Ohio State has a pretty solid offense and terrible pitching. I think we'll be lucky to make it to 80 wins with this staff. Our defense is taking a hit at 2B which will not help matters. But I am excited to see what some of our hitters can do, especially sophomore C David Basaldua who I expect to hit a ton of homers. We may score 900 runs but we could give up 1000.

USC has had an incredible start to the season. We have 4 players over 1.000 OPS and only 2 under .800, while the pitching staff has allowed less than 3 runs per game. Can't imagine it lasting like this, but we may be better than I expected. We lost one or two good players, but not a ton, but we haven't recruited well the last two years, so it's all based on development. We graduate a big pitching class this year, so it could be the last year of a good window for us.
    "The other team could make trouble for us if they beat us" - Yogi Berra

CWS:USC Trojans - 2 for 4 WS winners
    WBC: Czech Republic Nároďak - 1 for 4 WS winners, back to back to back promotions (3x), 0 relegations
    EP: Terramuggus Terracotta Terrapins
    GOAT 4: Twin Peaks Tatas

--
    Former WS winning teams:
    Serengeti Wildebeests (MONEYBALL)
    K-Mart Blackbelts (LEG)

Well, FSU is incredibly surprised at the start we've had to the season. Missing the playoffs was all but a guarantee and having a losing record, for the first time since the 1986 season, seemed a certainty. Thru 28 games the Seminoles sit in 2nd in the Southeast at 16-12 and with a run differential of +31, good for 4th in the league. The offense is nothing exceptional, with a team OPS of .770. The pitching staff has been very surprising to this point, owning a 3.63 ERA as a group which is almost identical to the teams ERA last season when the staff included one sure fire HoF'er and another very reliable starter that have both graduated.

Tallahassee will enjoy the winning record while it lasts but almost no one in FL expects it to continue.
    YoG - Dayton Triangles (2061-Present)
    College World Series - FSU Seminoles (1967-Present)
    MLB ReMake AAA - Las Vegas 51s (2082-2094)
    MLB ReMake - Chicago Cubs (2094-Present)
    Two Major Leagues - Boston Red Sox (1957-Present)
    The Dirty Dozen - Los Angeles Trolley Dodgers (2076-Present)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast