Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Coronavirus Thread 2020

Re: The Real Coronavirus Thread 2020

The company I work for is considered essential, despite only a small part of it actually being so. Morale is starting to drop because the directors are starting to show their true colors regarding productivity and the company's profits vs the well-being of the employees/community. They've been freely letting some people work from home but won't let others for relatively insignificant reasons, banned everyone from taking unnecessary PTO indefinitely, and have gone big-brother on those who are working from home to make sure they keep their productivity at pre-virus levels, and also layed off a couple people despite no loss in productivity just because the virus gave them an excuse.
    Last edited by Trempk; March 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM.

Similar sentiment about our management as well. For this 2 weeks off paid that they gave us, it's based on the average hours worked over the previous 10 weeks. I'm a 40 hour/week employee so they're paying me my normal rate of pay for 2 weeks at 40/week. Those currently working are doing so voluntarily. When they asked me if I was interested in working I told them no. I told them it made zero sense for me to waste gas for my car, wear and tear on my car, and an hour total commute there and back to get paid what I'm getting paid to not come in. They then asked, "Don't you want to be a team player and come in to help out?" I said not like that, no. I'm being a team player by letting the part-time worker who were averaging 18 hours/week or less pick up a full 40 if they're interested so that they can actually make some money. GM comes over and asks me the same thing, if I want to work. I give him the same answers. He then follows up with, "Well you'd really be doing your community a service. Think of how many people come in asking for HDM1 cables, or needing to be shown how to close an app on their phone. Clearly the people of this community aren't ready to be left alone with their technology. So are you sure you don't want to come in and serve them through this difficult time?" I just told him, not at the risk of being able to go see me parents, who are both over 65 and live very close. If they need assistance I can't help them if I'm sick.

Both my supervisor and GM respond to that by saying well that's too bad, I really wish you'd have been willing to help out the team.

It is absolutely mind boggling that, during a pandemic, they would continue to try to guilt people into working and then act as though they don't care about the company/aren't a team player because they choose their own personal safety/health and that of their family over a multi-billion dollar corporation.

I was already planning on beginning a search for a new job, but the way that my current management is handling their employees during this is making me want to greatly speed up the process. The only problem now being how easy it will be to actually find a job with so many people becoming unemployed and so many companies shedding employees to avoid shutting their doors for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZubaZ View Post
    So I was screwed.. so yes.. i did.. whatever. I bend down, hands behind my back.. and kissed a boy

Both of those stories are disheartening.
    Politics is the Entertainment Division of the military-industrial complex ~ Frank Zappa

We are open. They (owner and two partners) arent considering closing. Already have stated they will try to fight it legally if they get told they have to. We have a handful of hospital and data center projects that they can use to justify keeping us working under any essential guidelines. Positive side, we dont customer face. No one is in or out of our place but current employees. We also have enough backlog of work to keep all the engrs and cad folks busy for months.

Employees are definitely frustrated by clear priority of $$ over their health though. We also understand and are glad to be working like normal from a financial standpoint. It's a weird spot to be.
    "As you get older, please pass on your knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm for life, love and charity to others when you feel it's appropriate and you are able to. There are always others in more need than us, and that's what life is about." - Anonymous

Numbers looking better was an anomaly, we'vedoubled China's cases now, we just passed them five days ago.

Everybody getting testy. I was offended that Rent called the kids games kids games when they are clearly tween games, somebody in the bowling league was offended because somebody else complained about them being out of tofu at the co-op, I wasn't sure if somebody was joking about the old drive-in that I love reopening and I looked back fifteen minutes later and didn't understand how I could have not known he was joking. My kids and wife are like, always here, and as someone that needs alone time to recharge, I'm struggling to not resent having to be around people. All of these things are minor things that wouldn't be anything except stress is elevating them.

That's why I'm glad to have you guys, where we never ever fight or hold grudges or think negatively of each other or downgrade each other's HOF pitchers.
    DURHAM MATH/AFTERMATH - TCL
    86 88 93 94 96 97 00 02 04 11 12 13 53

Whatever Clone. I'm on a plane on Thursday going to Durham. Let's fight about this in person. Ok... I canceled the flight, so it will have to be virtually sparring.

GG overrated.
    IBA '00, '09, '15, '16, '17, '23, '25, '26, '35, ret. L/B '14, '16, '17, '22, '25, ret., ‘83, ‘84. KSTW '87, '89, ret. HOFm '92, '93, '82, ret. Blitz '12, '15, ret. LoL '98, '02, ret., '04. TCL '18, '20, '21, '41, '47, '48, '84, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '19, '21. FOB '41, '43, ret.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZubaZ View Post
    60 Jelly = godless Better than you

Everybody but those ****ers I mean.
    DURHAM MATH/AFTERMATH - TCL
    86 88 93 94 96 97 00 02 04 11 12 13 53

Quote Originally Posted by aztecs01 View Post
    Whatever Clone. I'm on a plane on Thursday going to Durham. Let's fight about this in person. Ok... I canceled the flight, so it will have to be virtually sparring.
    "Aztecs Hijacking a Plane" would be an interesting name for an alternate history thriller. At the very least it would give people something to talk about besides Tiger King!
    Psi Phi: Williamsburg Tribe Power (Comm)
    Justice: Jefferson Airplanes ('22)
    TDD: Richmond Rebels (Comm) ('92, '99, '00, '34)
    Psi Sigma: Dillard Dictators (Comm) ('07, '49, '56)
    LCL: NY Lawn Mowers ('93)
    ANB: Edison Electricity ('23, "53)
    BBL: Philadelphia Federalists ('06, '29, '34, '38)
    Recycler: NOVA No Doze ('98, '00, '09, '19)
    VLR: Amritsar Destroyers ('98)
    EBB: Pennsylvania Powder Kegs ('36, '69)
    IBA: Lahaina Luau
    LOL: Fargo Frostbite
    CBF: Cradock Diablos ('59)

23/58 in World Series

Quote Originally Posted by citizenclone View Post
    My kids and wife are like, always here, and as someone that needs alone time to recharge, I'm struggling to not resent having to be around people.
    I can relate.
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast