Thread: The 120-win curse strickes again

The 120-win curse strickes again

I can't count how many times I've had a team win 120+ games and then lose in the first round of the playoffs. I had one 120-win team capture the Series in this league a few seasons ago but that is a rarity. I've had so many more just implode like the Tampa Bay Lightning did in the Stanley Cup Playoffs last year. At least the team I lost to this time was another 100+ win team and not some scrub sub-.500 one that my teams have succumbed to in the past elsewhere.

I swear, my players just don't play well under pressure (maybe its a hidden rating?) or I'm just an absolutely horrible manager in the playoffs... that must be it. I won't go into my Game 7 woes here.

Oh well, we'll try again next year! Good luck to the rest of the league.

Re: The 120-win curse strickes again

That's crazy. I thought I had a shot this year; I had some low end pitchers at the back of the rotation holding back my record who wouldn't see playoff action. But just a shot.

I have something like 200 combined seasons of ownership across different leagues, and have never once had a 120 win team.

I'm sure I'm exaggerating. I do have a team in another league that twice won 123 games and failed to reach the Series either time. Two other times they won 120+ and lost the Series. They did go all the way three other times so like I said, I exaggerate. Still, it sure can feel as frustrating as a free to play game can get.

I'd rather have your postseason success than my regular season one though.

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post

I'd rather have your postseason success than my regular season one though.
    System is 80+ range at SS, 2B, 3B, CF, LF; 3 quality starting pitchers, 4 hitiers who OPS .900+. It takes 8 to 10 years to assemble, but it ain't rocket science. At this point, it feels like cheating, but I wish everyone tried it.

I'm copy paste repeating at this point.

I do have a pitcher in the low minors I hope to see shatter some records. I will see out his career, then retire. At first it was passing Tuskegee in titles, then it was win percentage. Now, I just want to see this pitcher through a dominant career. Then, I will retire.
    Last edited by eagriffin; March 1, 2020 at 12:15 AM.

Retire? No....
    Last edited by RyckyRych; March 1, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

I don't have an exact "system" but yeah, I do know what I want and a lot of it is your common strong up the middle defense, hopefully just as good on the left side, a catcher with an arm and hopefully half of them are good with the bat. Pitching is similar, though I have been trying to take advantage of a really good closer if I have to. There is nothing we can do about the RNG though. No matter how good the team is, you can lose 4 out of 7 if the other team is competent and gets the short-term "luck". It can be frustrating when the 120+ win team loses but I've won titles with 85-win teams also so I really can't say anything.

But, its fun to say stuff sometimes.

I'll miss you when you leave but it will be fun to see this pitcher in action. My team is going to need to retool again soon so you'll have that dominate turn again very soon I'm sure.

I had a team w/115 wins and lost in the first round.
    One that won 112 and won the WS.
    Another w/111 wins and a WS title.

Will be sorry to see you go, eagriffin.

I must learn not to post when drunk. Very nice of both of you, but I ain't going for a bit yet, and in the meantime I do still intend to win, by gum. I hope whatever else happens, we have a good number of seasons of dragging one another to 7 ahead.