Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all, what do you think?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Hey all, what do you think?

I was thinking about the cap in this league and I really like the restraints of 60M as most of us play in higher cap leagues. I noticed that about 1/2 the league is over and half under which surprised me a little since there have been times where a good 3/4 was over. I wanted to put it out there to see if we could get creative with "over the cap" trades. I think this league could use a little shot of transaction power and something like below is what Im thinking and I know with some input we can come up with a unique idea to get something done.

I was thinking about a commish approved deal (not really approved just completed by using commish tool) where a team receiving a player over the cap gets some type of draft penalty.

Also, and Pimp can attest to this in ALTRA he runs a PSFA draft each year where you can bid on players regardless of your cap space, the players arent assigned until after 4/2 meaning it doesnt affect your FOAs for that year but after a few seasons lots of teams would be so far over the cap that a lot of teams wouldnt have much in the way of FOAs. A little more than half are over the cap in that league. https://www.csfbl.com/league/financi...?leagueid=1695

Anyway say what you will, if we do a draft penalty it would need to be significant because the top teams (winning) would be making these moves and their picks are already at the bottom of the board as it is. So lets put our heads together and figure something out. It should be fun.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire League- Philadelphia Stars

Re: Hey all, what do you think?

rich getting richer
    MLB Classic WS Champs 2091 ,2107,
    Psi Sigma WS 2084,2113,2118,2121
    YOG WS 2054, 2088,2094
    CSFBL Justice WS 2089,2109,2111,2118

Quote Originally Posted by Superbigred1960 View Post
    rich getting richer
    I get that notion but in a 60M league you really compromise your teams future by going to the well too many times and also if a 1st round forfeiture means teams high 2nd round picks become low 1sts then lesser teams get richer in that sense.

Also this would handcuff teams a bit because they couldnt trade that 1st rounder and would need to trade more players for players making the aging salary player a bit more useful.

It could also be something that is limited to draft time, we dont draft until around 6/1 so teams would need to pull the trigger early.

Just thoughts, looking forward to hearing more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

I'm not sure i understand the proposals. It would be allowed for teams over the cap to raise their salaries further in trades? And the rules would be different for PSFAs? You could sign a PSFA even if it put you over the cap? I think I am with SBR, this all benefits the top teams. I've been over the cap for a long time and it would be great for me to be able to make more deals, but not sure these ideas will help. Basically this would be getting rid of the cap except for allocation purposes, if I'm understanding correctly.

well based on the lack of response (I PM'd the whole league) i guess its not a big deal. Anyway the PSFA things was just an example of how its done elsewhere. Yes, in the short term allowing teams over the cap to make moves helps but think about it 12-15 teams are over the cap most of the time so its not like only 4 teams have a shot at improving even though they are over.

Long term, if a team gets caught up in this a couple seasons in a row they really screw themselves up down the road and as for lesser teams they would move up in the draft as the lost draft picks slide to the back of the draft so everyone else moves up.

Again was hoping others thought about it and added a few elements to make it fun but it looks like a dead issue.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

I wouldn't be opposed to raising the cap to $65 Million but I don't think we should mess with exceptions for teams over the cap. It's their (myself included) responsibility to manage the team finances properly. Sometimes you have to make hard choices like cutting a good player, or not and suffer the consequences of little to no FOA and not being able to sign PSFAs.

Absolutely right, and having a clause like the one I mentioned would change the fact that you still are a loser in the FOA game, adding payroll/ losing picks is a short term fix but it can be used in a bunch of different ways, like I said many are over the cap and one team might want to use this as a way to get under but when you and others are over the cap there are few trade destinations.

Here is exactly where I came up with the initial thought. Although I still have some of my top prospects in the minors I have gotten off to a decent start and noticed that there was a player listed on the block that would fit nicely but we are both over the cap. Obviously in a fringe season I'm not just going to cut 5M to make this move but if there were a way to make the move it would relieve a log jam of players that teams would like to move. Sure maybe players like that might have to be dropped but what the point there when maybe only 5-6 team have a chance to sign them and at that point they are now at the cap limit. there are only 4 teams with 3+M to spend on a key FA.

So as much as it may seem like a rich get richer deal there is a lot more to it than that, I like the strategy it takes in a 60M cap league and really dont want to raise that but there could be an interesting twist to things with something to this effect.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids

I haven't weighed in only because I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other, so however the rest of the league feels, I'd happily roll with it.

I've gotten used to working within the current cap and limitations.
    But allowing for more transactions and trades when near or over the cap could be fun.

...I'm against it. Worked too hard to get an aging, far over the cap team under the cap and nearing a competitive level. It would hardly benefit mine and some other teams, to allow those already dominant to get stronger through the system you suggest. If this becomes implemented, I'm out. Not what I signed up for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast