Thread: Moving on from Hooks

Moving on from Hooks

Leaving the champs as I will be moving up to AAA to take the Buffalo team. Fantastic comeback being down 0-3 in World Series and coming back with 4 straight shutouts to take the series. Sure going to miss that young gun pitching staff. Best of luck to everyone here and to the new owner of the Hooks!

Re: Moving on from Hooks

Whoever gets the hooks is gonna get a real nice team.... that pitching staff is to die for

Sad to see you go, congradulations on the promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Book_Archer View Post
    Whoever gets the hooks is gonna get a real nice team.... that pitching staff is to die for
    Going to be tough for an owner that doesn't know the team with 0 scouting and $12M over the cap too.

Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    Going to be tough for an owner that doesn't know the team with 0 scouting and $12M over the cap too.
    I don't know about you, but I'd rather take an already built-up team with a decent minor team that has some debt problems than a bottom-dweller team, like Binghamton a few years ago, that has a ton of cap space but not a lot of talent. The vast majority of owners that join this league only play for a few seasons, so I would definitely take a fairly young world series champion team over my rebuilding one. It's going to be tough for whoever inherits it to keep it good for longer than maybe four years, like Harrisburg has done so well, but that 1-2 punch is simply too glamorous to ignore, at least in my opinion.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather take an already built-up team with a decent minor team that has some debt problems than a bottom-dweller team, like Binghamton a few years ago, that has a ton of cap space but not a lot of talent. The vast majority of owners that join this league only play for a few seasons, so I would definitely take a fairly young world series champion team over my rebuilding one. It's going to be tough for whoever inherits it to keep it good for longer than maybe four years, like Harrisburg has done so well, but that 1-2 punch is simply too glamorous to ignore, at least in my opinion.
    It's all relative really. I get that AA here mostly get new(ish) owners so I can see the draw to wanting to take over a winner and keep it going and the fun in that. Personally, I've been around a LONG LONG time and like to take over the bottom teams. The lack of scouting is the hardest part and not being able to tell which guys have gained on the flips or which are in decline. But having the cap flexibility to completely revamp the roster and make tons of moves is the fun for me. I feel like I can pretty much sign all FAs and still win 65-70 gms for the most part, so taking that sub-60 win team and turning it around it the most fun for me.

Though the current Akron squad I inherited had just an abysmal pitching rotation so now the fun will be trying to keep it in the playoffs while basically completely revamping the staff. So we'll see how that goes.

Very little playoff success, but thanks for noticing that I’m keeping them competitive.

Sent from my iPad using CSFBL
    World Series Champions:
    Chicago Cubs (Historical Replay) - 1948
    Sioux City Explorers (Iowa Farm League) - 2011, 2014
    Iowa Cubs (MLB ReMake - AAA) - 2014
    Harrisburg Senators (MLB ReMake - AA) - 2002
    Kansas City Vikings (MLB World) - 2108
    Iowa City Raptors (WEBL) - 2000

Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    It's all relative really. I get that AA here mostly get new(ish) owners so I can see the draw to wanting to take over a winner and keep it going and the fun in that. Personally, I've been around a LONG LONG time and like to take over the bottom teams. The lack of scouting is the hardest part and not being able to tell which guys have gained on the flips or which are in decline. But having the cap flexibility to completely revamp the roster and make tons of moves is the fun for me. I feel like I can pretty much sign all FAs and still win 65-70 gms for the most part, so taking that sub-60 win team and turning it around it the most fun for me.

Though the current Akron squad I inherited had just an abysmal pitching rotation so now the fun will be trying to keep it in the playoffs while basically completely revamping the staff. So we'll see how that goes.
    I find the teams that are most difficult to take over are the teams which are 8-10 million over the cap plus have the majority of the stud players on the plus side of thirty. Kind of like the Buffalo Team I just took over in AAA. The team has been very good for 10 seasons but now nothing in lows and all the stud players aging and declining. You can’t just dump the players as most are still better then free agents nor can you expect much in trade value as the age turns most owners off. Plus very little scouting while you wait for the guys to completely fizzle or retire. Team may be good enough to sneak in playoffs a couple more seasons in the process but most likely an early exit. I too would rather take a crap team with very little and build from free agency and the draft. Like you said that is a lot of fun to rebuild.