Thread: Omicron Team page: The Strange Road to Stardom: SS Douglas McCray

Omicron Team page: The Strange Road to Stardom: SS Douglas McCray

...I've had a lot of good players over the years on a number of teams, but, I've never had a player with as strange a road to being a star as SS Douglas McCray. Drafted in 1976 in the 2nd round (25th) by the Kentucky Hounds, he hit .237 with 33 HR's and 99 RBI's as a rookie. McCray slugged a mere .441 his first season. The Hounds released him after that season, and he was picked up by the Kitchener Huskies. In 23 games he batted .155 with 3 HR's and 8 RBI's. His slugging percentage was .298.... Released by the Huskies, he was picked up by the ESU Timberwolves... The results were 11 games played, 1 HR, and 3 RBI's... Again, he was released. He went back to his hometown, and went to work on his swing.
    ...One of our scouts said he had been working hard in the off season, and recommended we give him a look, so, the So Cal Patriots signed him and played him 113 games in the 1979 season. McCray hit .288 with 39 HR's and 80 RBI's. He slugged .618! Not only did he get an All-Star slot, but, he won the Silver Slugger award at his position.
    ...It proved no fluke, either. The next season brought a .264 average, 48 HR's and 107 RBI's, and another All Star appearance and another Silver Slugger award.
    ...Last season, he hit .278 with 68 HR's, and 157 RBI's. He not only got an All-Star slot, and another Silver Slugger award, but, was also named MVP!
    ...This season, in 106 games, McCray has a .281 average, 50 HR's, and 106 RBI's....
    ..He has proven himself time and time again. Just shows that hard work can pay off.

Re: Omicron Team page: The Strange Road to Stardom: SS Douglas McCray

Quote Originally Posted by joebaseball View Post
    ...I've had a lot of good players over the years on a number of teams, but, I've never had a player with as strange a road to being a star as SS Douglas McCray. Drafted in 1976 in the 2nd round (25th) by the Kentucky Hounds, he hit .237 with 33 HR's and 99 RBI's as a rookie. McCray slugged a mere .441 his first season. The Hounds released him after that season, and he was picked up by the Kitchener Huskies. In 23 games he batted .155 with 3 HR's and 8 RBI's. His slugging percentage was .298.... Released by the Huskies, he was picked up by the ESU Timberwolves... The results were 11 games played, 1 HR, and 3 RBI's... Again, he was released. He went back to his hometown, and went to work on his swing.
    ...One of our scouts said he had been working hard in the off season, and recommended we give him a look, so, the So Cal Patriots signed him and played him 113 games in the 1979 season. McCray hit .288 with 39 HR's and 80 RBI's. He slugged .618! Not only did he get an All-Star slot, but, he won the Silver Slugger award at his position.
    ...It proved no fluke, either. The next season brought a .264 average, 48 HR's and 107 RBI's, and another All Star appearance and another Silver Slugger award.
    ...Last season, he hit .278 with 68 HR's, and 157 RBI's. He not only got an All-Star slot, and another Silver Slugger award, but, was also named MVP!
    ...This season, in 106 games, McCray has a .281 average, 50 HR's, and 106 RBI's....
    ..He has proven himself time and time again. Just shows that hard work can pay off.
    hahahah yeah I remember him. He was trash. I moved a few good prospects around/released some players to sign him based on his rookie season (33 homers), but he badly under performed. I was in a playoff race and needed the salary space, so I cut him. Glad he's worked out for you though - love seeing those stories of guys picked up from free agency who blossom

What's even odder, and I really just noticed it, is that he is hardly your typical SS prototype. Being that he is 6'6" tall, and 311 pounds! I would really love to see such a SS in action in the major leagues!!! I think the ball would just sort of yip yip yip away from him once it saw him standing in its path...

SS Douglas McCray followed up his spectacular 2081 year with another in 2082: Back to back All-Star, Silver Slugger and MVP. Along the way he once again hit 68 HR's, with 127 runs, 154 RBI, and a .285 batting avg. Best 6'6" 311 pound SS I've ever had.

Haha, wow!! That's incredible.