Thread: And then there were three... and four

And then there were three... and four

Three original owners left (Vegas, Misty, JTown)

Four open teams.

I've been putting out the signal to try and recruit. If you guys know anyone that would be interested in joining us, let me know. I think the market is slightly saturated with this type of league so its been tough. Maybe we can discuss some changes to make the league a little more appealing? I don't want to go crazy but I also don't want us to bleed our owners.

So let me know if you've got any ideas. I also would love it if someone wanted to help out with commish duties. Thanks!

Re: And then there were three... and four

Wish I had the time to assist with the Commish duties. The separation from the power teams to the middle of the road teams is bad at the moment, but I guess you just have to ride the wave. I figure it would be a management nightmare but figure one way to open up the free agent market, prevent stockpiling and maybe increase trades would be to automatically move players at a designated age (say 23) from Low Minors to AAA and players in AAA at age 26 to Free Agency each year...right now there is nothing on the free agent market to help teams compete and no incentive for power teams to cut talent from the low minors without lopsided trade demands...

Quote Originally Posted by gnrsss2001 View Post
    Wish I had the time to assist with the Commish duties. The separation from the power teams to the middle of the road teams is bad at the moment, but I guess you just have to ride the wave. I figure it would be a management nightmare but figure one way to open up the free agent market, prevent stockpiling and maybe increase trades would be to automatically move players at a designated age (say 23) from Low Minors to AAA and players in AAA at age 26 to Free Agency each year...right now there is nothing on the free agent market to help teams compete and no incentive for power teams to cut talent from the low minors without lopsided trade demands...
    Yeah, the power differential is pretty nuts. I was thinking a hard cap would help but looking at the salaries, no one is way over so the effect on that would be minimal. Most teams have the money to make moves but it's hard to compete with those top teams that seem to be light years ahead. We had a few really top heavy drafts from 91-94 that helped catapult those teams to the level they're at. Those guys are entering their 30's now which hopefully means that the balance will come back over the next few seasons.

No need to change anything. It comes and goes. I took over Tomball just after the flip of 1992. The team won 55 games that season. In 1994 they won the Series. Sure, they have some talent in LM and I had a few trades help out but the point is that its possible to turn a team around in any league. Yes, you need luck as not every rebuild turns into a championship. However, I don't believe in dictating what people should do with their players because of their age, etc.

Of course, if a team is idle/unowned then I have no issue with maintenance. I wouldn't release players from a team just because they hit 26 or something.

I’m inclined to think ride it out w maybe very small changes (if any). The couple leagues I share Commish duties in went through similar patches where I thought they might fold. We rode it out and both are doing well w active ownership.

I’ll definitely try to help out with recruiting. This has been a fun league and want to see it have success.

Sent from my iPhone using CSFBL