Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Playoffs

2023 Playoffs

..The Yankees clinched a spot in the playoffs with their first season in the last six over .500, finishing 90-70.... "We did better than I thought we would," said Joebaseball, owner/manager of the Yankees. "The Dodgers gave us a run for our money all season, and we're not even close to Oakland yet, but," and he smiled, "We beat our timetable by two seasons, thanks to a couple of great rookies and some timely pitching, as well as solid contributions by our veterans."
    ... "Oakland kicked our butts this season, so, we'll have to see how the playoff series goes, but, at least we made it this far... We'll be the underdogs, but this team doesn't know how good it is yet...."

Re: 2023 Playoffs

...Congrats to Oakland, for their 4-1 series win against the Yankees. "That wasn't really a surprise, Oakland has a good team" said Joebaseball, "The surprise, and a pleasant one, was getting here at all this season, and staying 20 game above .500." The Yankees young team only hit .196 during the playoff series, but, the developing pitching staff gave a heads-up, turning in a fine 3.18 era overall. "We did pretty well," Joe continued, " and, with luck and some improvement, we'll be back soon...."

Charleston really has Asheville's number in the playoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Charleston really has Asheville's number in the playoffs...
    Yeah this one was kind of brutal, I'm not going to lie. I would hate to be on the other side of what happened in Game 4... 9th inning, 2-run lead, 2 outs, nobody on. Closer gives up back-to-back home runs to tie the game... that's the kind of thing that would make me want to throw my computer out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by EtaCar927 View Post
    Yeah this one was kind of brutal, I'm not going to lie. I would hate to be on the other side of what happened in Game 4... 9th inning, 2-run lead, 2 outs, nobody on. Closer gives up back-to-back home runs to tie the game... that's the kind of thing that would make me want to throw my computer out the window.
    I hadn't looked at the detail. After losing 20-4 combined in the first two games I knew it wouldn't be my series.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    I hadn't looked at the detail. After losing 20-4 combined in the first two games I knew it wouldn't be my series.
    Looks like this next one isn't mine. Down 2-0 to Savannah. I just hope we don't get swept, that would be humiliating

Oof that was rough. I guess it's payback for last year. After winning game one and seeing that my closer gave up 5 runs without getting an out in game 2, I thought I actually had a good chance winning. I had Pons going in game 4 against his worst starting pitcher and I still ended up losing. His pitching just really shut me down. It's nice that the favorite won this time around, but hopefully I can come back and try again next year.....I really did love the comment of throwing your computer out the window

So ACL will have a first-time champion this year, with Savannah making their first ever appearance in the Series and Oakland making their fourth (third in the past four seasons). Charleston almost pulled off the comeback from 0-3 down against the Gnats, who themselves had come back from a 3-1 deficit to knock off Albany in the Division Series, perhaps putting an end to Albany's 20-year run as a contender. Even more impressive is Washington's 23-year run...will that be able to continue? And no reason to think that the annual heavyweight fight between Asheville and Charleston won't go on for a few more seasons.

Good luck to both teams. Oakland and it's top-ranked pitching is the favorite on paper, but the Atlantic Conference has won 10 of the last 11 WS.
    Last edited by orangecat13748; March 16, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

If Savannah wins this, it will be one of the most impressive playoff performances I've ever seen. They've been massive underdogs in every series if you look at the run differential but here they are, 2 games from a championship. Let's see if they can pull it off, or if Oakland can finally break through and finally come out on top (0-3 in the World Series so far).

The A's vaunted pitching came through at the right time, posting shutouts in Games 6 and 7 to bring Oakland it's first WS title. Congrats to Aria! Also congrats to tstash and Savannah, who played the max 21 postseason games and barely missed their first title.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast