Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCLA has a new coach

Re: UCLA has a new coach

Quote Originally Posted by marsupial311 View Post
    Roster Declarations are due by 3/31 in game date. Use the roster declarations from the previous season that was posted in the thread to help you figure out what years of eligibility your guys have left.

Recruiting starts after the draft list drops, anyone you recruit this season cannot appear in a game until next season. You can check out the threads from previous years to see what recruit lists look like and how results are formatted.
    Awesome... thanks... appreciate the assist. I think I have it now.

I actually think I'm going to enjoy this format... no worrying about how long my players may remain viable... they can only play four seasons max, if I understand right.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTakeo View Post
    Welcome fellow newbie. I joined the league about a week ago and have gotten a lot of help trying to figure out what to do. My big test will come when I have to recruit. Best of luck in CWS.
    You also... good seeing you again.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Awesome... thanks... appreciate the assist. I think I have it now.

I actually think I'm going to enjoy this format... no worrying about how long my players may remain viable... they can only play four seasons max, if I understand right.
    Correct, players graduate after playing 4 season or reaching the age of 25.
    Arkansas Razorbacks (CWS)-1967, 1979
    Winside Wildcats (AAA)-2001, 2028, 2030, 2052, 2054, 2074, 2075, 2077, 2078, 2079
    Norfolk Tides (MLB Remake AAA)- 2110
    Altoona Curve (MLB Remake-AA)-2093, 2096 (retired)
    Bad News Bears (Texas Leaguer)-2000, 2003, 2039, 2040, 2055 (retired)
    Cal State Fullerton (Road to the Bigs)-2000 (retired)
    C-Bus Bulldogs (Alpha Xi Zeta)-1982, 1993 (retired)
    Nebraska Cornhuskers (College Baseball)-1999 (retired)
    St. Louis Cardinals (MLB New School)-2025 (retired)

So... six players are graduating, and there are only four players not on the Active roster now... how do I fill the roster in with at least two other players at this time?

Oh... disregard... I see that we CAN sign FA's now. I hope they sign with my team in time for me to change my roster around.
    Last edited by DaveW; February 19, 2019 at 11:48 PM.

So... six players are graduating, and there are only four players not on the Active roster now... how do I fill the roster in with at least two other players at this time?
    You can sign enough free agents to get you to 32 scholarships if you want. Since there is not a lot of talent left over after recruiting it would be best to sign enough to field a team and any extra to allow you to redshirt a player if you wanted to. Keep in mind, if you sign a 24 year old, he is a SR. A 23 year old would be a JR and so on. UCLA had a rough recruiting year last year and had about 9 unfilled scholarships so be patient, it might take a few years to build this up. The good news is the rosters turn over pretty fast. One word of advice is to try to balance your class sizes as you go to avoid having 10 plus scholarships to fill because history shows that is hard to do.
    Winside Wildcats (AAA)-2001, 2028, 2030, 2052, 2054, 2074, 2075, 2077, 2078, 2079

Quote Originally Posted by jdjaeger54 View Post
    You can sign enough free agents to get you to 32 scholarships if you want. Since there is not a lot of talent left over after recruiting it would be best to sign enough to field a team and any extra to allow you to redshirt a player if you wanted to. Keep in mind, if you sign a 24 year old, he is a SR. A 23 year old would be a JR and so on. UCLA had a rough recruiting year last year and had about 9 unfilled scholarships so be patient, it might take a few years to build this up. The good news is the rosters turn over pretty fast. One word of advice is to try to balance your class sizes as you go to avoid having 10 plus scholarships to fill because history shows that is hard to do.
    Right... I had to exclude all of the 25+ year-olds, players with 4 years of experience (including years that didn't count toward experience, since they played only a few games)... it didn't leave a lot left to choose from.

I'll get the team in shape over time, I'm sure.

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, so I now have plenty of bodies on my team to be able to drop the old seniors tonight... must I offer them all scholarships?

In other words, did I mess up my team by wanting to take a look at them at full scouting before deciding which ones to offer scholarships to this season... only now to realize that I can't drop any (presumably limiting the number of scholarships available when recruiting)?

I see that I can choose some (either all hitters or all pitchers) to drop per the rules... when are drops done? Only preseason makes sense to me, though I'm not sure.

Thanks!
    Dave

Right... I had to exclude all of the 25+ year-olds, players with 4 years of experience (including years that didn't count toward experience, since they played only a few games)... it didn't leave a lot left to choose from.

I'll get the team in shape over time, I'm sure.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Don't forget free agents cannot be used if they have used up their 4 years eligibility before turning 24.

OK, so I now have plenty of bodies on my team to be able to drop the old seniors tonight... must I offer them all scholarships?

In other words, did I mess up my team by wanting to take a look at them at full scouting before deciding which ones to offer scholarships to this season... only now to realize that I can't drop any (presumably limiting the number of scholarships available when recruiting)?

I see that I can choose some (either all hitters or all pitchers) to drop per the rules... when are drops done? Only preseason makes sense to me, though I'm not sure.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Looks like you have some new signees you need to drop anyways. Looks like some already graduated. Rule of thumb is if they have stats, they probably already graduated, so drop those 3 or 4 guys. Plus you should already have full scouting.

The thing that I thought kinda sucks is that you can’t force early graduation on anyone. If you get a 20 year old scrub, you’re stuck with him for 4 years. Just something to remember. I haven’t checked out your team, I just want new owners to know that

Sent from my iPhone using CSFBL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast