Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Increasing userbase

  1. #1

    Increasing userbase

    We can all agree that CSFBL is an amazing game and brings great enjoyment to all of us reading this I'm sure.

    I think a really good goal for the community is to try and double the userbase this year. I believe the community can greatly benefit from more users as many leagues are fairly inactive and total activity in the game is down, which has a domino effect of making most leagues less fun than they normally could be

    Let this thread be for ideas on how to get more users to the game and build a larger community. Because IMO, a larger community would bring more enjoyment to the current userbase, as more users = more activity, trades, posts, and competition.

    Anyone have any bright ideas? What are some strategies we could implement as an alternative to doing nothing

  2. #2

    Re: Increasing userbase

    Personally, I believe a little effort into social media marketing, and campaigns, and efforts to seek funding for these via donations could work well.

    I think a team of users who all have the same goal -- that are willing to donate their time and energy to the cause of attracting new users could be a great plan.

    This could include outreach strategies on other gaming sites.

    It would be great to have a team such as this working together with whoever is currently overseeing the admin role of the game. If this Admin was part of the cause, and also helped setup the channels for users to help improve the game, it could be a win win scenario for everyone involved

    I'm not saying I have all the answers. I'm just pointing out my observations and floating some ideas. I care about the game and want to see it grow.
    Retired

    LEADER of the WIN EVERY SIM crew

    Unrecognized Creator of the Anti-Tank Movement in CSFBL.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    734

    Re: Increasing userbase

    Find a way to get the guys that run the site as guests on the Effectively Wild podcast. The folks that listen to that podcast would likely really love playing CSFBL. In the MLB offseason Effectively Wild has all sorts of non MLB (but baseball related) episodes. They recently had an episode on Strat-o-Matic.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Increasing userbase

    I don't know what CSFBL management did in the past. I only know about 18 months ago I found this site and there were many Mentor leagues just starting. As a newbie I probably would not have stuck around long since I was clueless. I think Mentor leagues are crucial for bringing in new players. This game is great once you get the hang of it but I can say firsthand it can be daunting to a new player.

  5. #5

    Re: Increasing userbase

    It's sad nobody sees increasing the userbase as priority. I think it's critical for the long term growth of the game and to improve it. We should always strive to constantly improve.

    I believe with my new league there will be a renewed interest for CSFBL. Maybe we can funnel that energy into a group effort for something amazing, where the community can develop a system of increasing the userbase.

    We should have a team of people running an instagram account for sure.
    Retired

    LEADER of the WIN EVERY SIM crew

    Unrecognized Creator of the Anti-Tank Movement in CSFBL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    440

    Re: Increasing userbase

    Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    We should have a team of people running an instagram account for sure.
    I'm a statistician turned copy editor that deals with clients looking to increase web presence and brand recognition. I take on a ton of social-media curation projects and I have to say Instagram is useless as far as curation and web-presence is concerned. I think the big issue is mobile accessibility. Let's face it, this game is pretty much geared to desktop applications. You can get players to try the game, but once they realize there is no app beyond the forums they fade away. An easy to use mobile UI is the only thing that will generate a consistent new player base and generate revenue.

    I don't think any one league will increase user base, accessibility is a pretty big issue. It's going to be a case of adapt or fade away....

  7. #7

    Re: Increasing userbase

    Part of increasing the user base is to not lose existing players. Why do many users leave? I suspect "no chance to win" even after learning the game's basics is a large factor.

    I see many leagues destroyed by trade rape of newbies by veteran owners. One team ends us dominating a division for decades, causing others divisional owners to leave, followed by others in the league after that. I'd like to keep my team in certain leagues, but the chances I win a title are remote because aggressive owners take advantage of newbies. I prefer a laid back league, but unless there are strong commissioners policing the "three 32-year old starter quality veterans for your #1 overall draft pick" trades, the league will be dying a slow death.

    Solution? Is there a way to help newbies get a trade rating of some type? I know the knee-jerk reaction would be "can't do it because everyone values players differently", but I think any established owner would agree trades like the one I saw a few seasons back (explained above) would qualify as heavily one-sided.

    dr

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: Increasing userbase

    Quote Originally Posted by donnyrock View Post
    Part of increasing the user base is to not lose existing players. Why do many users leave? I suspect "no chance to win" even after learning the game's basics is a large factor.

    I see many leagues destroyed by trade rape of newbies by veteran owners. One team ends us dominating a division for decades, causing others divisional owners to leave, followed by others in the league after that. I'd like to keep my team in certain leagues, but the chances I win a title are remote because aggressive owners take advantage of newbies. I prefer a laid back league, but unless there are strong commissioners policing the "three 32-year old starter quality veterans for your #1 overall draft pick" trades, the league will be dying a slow death.

    Solution? Is there a way to help newbies get a trade rating of some type? I know the knee-jerk reaction would be "can't do it because everyone values players differently", but I think any established owner would agree trades like the one I saw a few seasons back (explained above) would qualify as heavily one-sided.

    dr
    How do you quantify that? If I'm in a playoff hunt and those 3 quality starters will take my team to the top OR if I'm in a total rebuild and those 3 quality starters will be long past their prime by the time I can contend....then I'm making the trade, either way. I have no idea what you are referring to as this obviously lopsided trade in your eyes. I'm just saying, not every trade can be monitored as fraud. I try to watch trades regularly and although a few have been iffy, mostly there is justification.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    8,035

    Re: Increasing userbase

    A team with a #1 overall should not be trading for veterans... we hav stories to help new owners with trades. Ill link in a minute

    http://help.csfbl.com/wiki/69/how-to...teran-csfblers
    Happy, but a little lost
    Well, I don't know what I don't know so I'll kick my shoes off &run
     
    2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 8,035-6,518 (.552) ~ 8 WS
    2018: 6,226-5,522 (.530) ~ 7 WS
    2019: 2 WS


    LEGJuan More Inning(2033-)2045, 2046, 2047, 2051, 2054
    GOATUnderpants Gnomes(1994-)1997, 1998
    TCLMisty Mountain Hoppers(2101-)2109
    WBCVenezuela(1925-1932,1937-)1925, 1928, 1930, 1937
    TDDSilver Lake(2104-)2106, 2107
    XBAnaheim Aardvarks(2083) 
    EPSan Onofre(2002) 
    CarL-2022, 2027, 2031, 2032 | Dodgers-1953, 1955, 1966
    TML-1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1984
    Sweet-1886, 1888, 1891, 1892, 1897, 1898, 1900
    AA-2100 | ThrowB-2018 | TP-1983 | BD-2038 | AAA-2101

  10. #10

    Re: Increasing userbase

    Quote Originally Posted by donnyrock View Post
    I know the knee-jerk reaction would be "can't do it because everyone values players differently", but I think any established owner would agree trades like the one I saw a few seasons back (explained above) would qualify as heavily one-sided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyewiks View Post
    How do you quantify that? If I'm in a playoff hunt and those 3 quality starters will take my team to the top OR if I'm in a total rebuild and those 3 quality starters will be long past their prime by the time I can contend....then I'm making the trade, either way. I have no idea what you are referring to as this obviously lopsided trade in your eyes. I'm just saying, not every trade can be monitored as fraud. I try to watch trades regularly and although a few have been iffy, mostly there is justification.
    We are in agreement.

    dr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •