Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the League...

State of the League...

...The draft is over, so its time to talk about stuff.
    ....Its been tough the last few seasons for the AOR Die-Hards. Ownership is just hanging on by the slimmest of threads and the last few drafts have been about the worst I have ever seen for overall talent and depth. We're just hanging on...
    ...The good news is that we have a bit of breathing room, as my brother has agreed to stay in the league through the beginning of next season. That gives us a season and a half to come up with more owners and some ideas to try and get them in, and get them to stay. Let's make the most of this opportunity. Thanks, brother, I really appreciate it.
    ...Its a bit puzzling, as I look at other leagues, as the successful ones don't seem to have much in common, except that they are mostly full and we are not, and have not been for some time. So, its hard to say what we need to turn things around, but, we really need to do something. And now.
    ...So, if any of you owners have ideas, now is the time to put them forth, as, the clock is ticking. A season and a half. Then my brother is off to other pursuits. He has saved our asses TWO seasons in a row now, and its time for someone else to step up. Right now, I'm not having very much fun, having to hassle him about this, and I have seriously considered leaving the league this season because of it...
    ...So, let me present an idea. Right now we have 3 preseason free agents allowed. I propose we up that to a minimum of 6. And, in an attempt to foster conversation and interaction, let's put it to a vote. The level of participation in such a vote might tell us something.
    ...We've been a successful league for a long time, but right now we are not...and I really want to see us survive and thrive, and I want to have fun again, so, what are we going to do about it????

Re: State of the League...

Anyone aware of other leagues that have 6 preseason free agents? How is that?
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by dl3mk3 View Post
    Anyone aware of other leagues that have 6 preseason free agents? How is that?

I am in two leagues that have 10 such free agents in each league... the amount of free agents of that sort can be chosen by the commishes.... we just happen to have 3...

C'mon, guys! Let's talk it up! Believe me, the survival of the AOR-DieHards is at stake.... Do we live up to our name or not????? Its about what we all want, not just me and one other owner.... We've always been a top league, just fallen on tough times of late...
    ...But here is ONE official vote for 6 Created Free Agents this next season... Guess it wins , so far.....

I'm open to 6, but if that is not, i dont know-unique enough to get owners interested in the league-maybe we should increase it more. I am just unsure that 3 to 6 moves the needle enough to save the league. We may need more drastic changes.
    Fighting Physicists - The Classic League
    "All science is either physics or stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford

I'm good with 6. Not sure why this league struggles with ownership, it's a well run league with a live draft that doesn't require a lot of time for the owners (thanks, doaf). The league has been around for so long, I don't even remember what AOR stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Cannon View Post
    I'm good with 6. Not sure why this league struggles with ownership, it's a well run league with a live draft that doesn't require a lot of time for the owners (thanks, doaf). The league has been around for so long, I don't even remember what AOR stands for.
    this league was once a Greek league, Alpha Omicron Rho. We went private around 2007 or so, and decided to change the name a bit, but kept our origins around.

As for having more preseason FAs, I don't have a problem with it. it's the easiest thing in the world to change the number.
    "There are two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

I am probably the worst person to post this because I don't post a lot but I am going to compare this league with a similar league that I am in which has had a lot of success. Kapsileta Baseball League has a lot of similar qualities to this one but I believe the difference is the level of activity in the forum. The commishioner starts a season discussion thread at the start of each season and some of the more active forum owners provide updates throughout the season (milestones, playoff races, PFSA comparisons, etc). We have 6 PFSA players each season and I think it's a good number to where there is some competition to sign a few players while not flooding the waters. Personally, I've found 6 to be a great number. Bobcat1018 does a great job of recruiting and keeping the league engaged in the forum. We also have some great active owners such as Samvick, Mr. Hamburger, and Spoonman1981. Other owners are active but between Bob and these three, they keep the league (and forum) exciting. Feel free to check out the Kapsileta Baseball League forum and look around to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I believe we also have 2 open teams in the league right now. Like I said, I'm probably the worst person to post this since I don't post much but I would like to see this league survive.

Quote Originally Posted by rob276 View Post
    I am probably the worst person to post this because I don't post a lot but I am going to compare this league with a similar league that I am in which has had a lot of success. Kapsileta Baseball League has a lot of similar qualities to this one but I believe the difference is the level of activity in the forum. The commishioner starts a season discussion thread at the start of each season and some of the more active forum owners provide updates throughout the season (milestones, playoff races, PFSA comparisons, etc). We have 6 PFSA players each season and I think it's a good number to where there is some competition to sign a few players while not flooding the waters. Personally, I've found 6 to be a great number. Bobcat1018 does a great job of recruiting and keeping the league engaged in the forum. We also have some great active owners such as Samvick, Mr. Hamburger, and Spoonman1981. Other owners are active but between Bob and these three, they keep the league (and forum) exciting. Feel free to check out the Kapsileta Baseball League forum and look around to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I believe we also have 2 open teams in the league right now. Like I said, I'm probably the worst person to post this since I don't post much but I would like to see this league survive.
    ...I like the idea of an active in-season section. doaf has done a lot of that in the past, and others have had their own posts related to player milestones and events. Maybe we just need to step that up a bit. 6 CPSFA's seems like a consensus number thus far. Anyway, I like seeing the contributions posted here to date, and let's keep it going...

DaveW wants to take over the Plainfield Porkers. He submitted a request yesterday but still doesn't have the team. Can someone assign the team to him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast