Thread: 2109 Season Discussion

2109 Season Discussion

Spring Training report for San Antonio:

Development funding has been increased from zero to 80%. Training decreased from 100 to 80%. All scouting remains at 100%

The offensive lineup will stay unchanged for now.

The bench was pared down and streamlined a bit to help free up cash. Also some decent but not quite good enough players in AAA and LM were cut to save cash. And some over paid bullpen pitchers were let go. The extra money allowed me to pick up several free agents who will actually see playing time now or soon.

The pitching staff will have 2 rookies in the rotation. James Guzman was rescued from LM at 25yo and will be the #2 starter. Shannon Ellis was signed for an inflated contract from PSFA. He becomes the #3. Neither pitcher are HOF candidates, but good enough to win maybe. The bullpen newcomers feature lefty Paul Johnson who will complete the rest of his slow development in the Majors.

In total the Missions will carry 7 new rookies discounting scrubs. 2 on the depth chart. 2 starting pitchers and 3 bullpen guys.

I also took a chance on former 1st rd pick Squire Milner who was jettisoned by the Rockhounds. He will stay in LM a year and try to turn it around down there.

So we will see if the team can keep winning like last year.

Re: 2109 Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jimch11 View Post

I also took a chance on former 1st rd pick Squire Milner who was jettisoned by the Rockhounds. He will stay in LM a year and try to turn it around down there.
    I hope he works out for you. I got tired of chasing him out of the bar the night before a start!
    "He slides into second with a stand-up double."- Jerry Coleman

When I took over the Bay Bears several seasons ago I commented that I had a fun team but it was not my kind of team. I'm not sure I have it yet but I have molded a much better team than I inherited.

Gone are the sweet swingers that scored tons. Gone are the control pitchers with nothing but control.

I would be lying if I won't miss those double digit leads being evaporated or overcome.

Defense....defense and solid, if unspectacular, hitters is my kind of team. Of course, it doesn't hurt when a 20 yr old rookie is raking.

Mobile sits 1/2 game behind Mississippi, having lost all 3 head to head games to them by a total of 6 runs.

It's a long way to the end. We shall see who is chasing who come September.

Draft list goes up tomorrow night... first block will be due the evening of 12/10.

I will post a thread for the draft tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Draft list goes up tomorrow night... first block will be due the evening of 12/10.

I will post a thread for the draft tomorrow.
    My apologies... got food poisoning Saturday night... I am just now able to keep water down, and am trying toast today. I will put up the draft board sometime today... please expect the first block to be due 12/11. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't have a 1st round pick, so you're forgiven.

Feel better.
    World Series Champions:
    Sioux City Explorers (Iowa Farm League) - 2011, 2014
    Iowa Cubs (MLB ReMake - AAA) - 2014
    Harrisburg Senators (MLB ReMake - AA) - 2002
    Iowa City Raptors (WEBL) - 2000